Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

What do you think about a mother who doesn't take her kids to the dentist, eye doctor or a regular doctor no matter how bad it is?

That girl I reported abuse on recently told me she thinks she needs glasses.
She says things are blurry, etc.
I was only 2 years younger than her when I found I needed glasses and I still need/wear glasses till today and she experiences a lot of what I experience.

People's faces and things being blurry at a distance they aren't for people with glasses on or 20/20 vision.

She told me her mom thinks she's faking it. I don't get how you can fake bad eye sight...but whatever..
And she refuses to take her to the eye doctor because she doesn't want to pay any amount of money for her exam etc.

She was sick for a month and a half a few months back and her mom wouldn't take her to be seen at all. She was deathly ill, hacking stuff up and her mom refused to take her.

This just pisses me off.
It's not like she's asking for new clothes etc..
She wants a frikkin eye exam and glasses so she can see right.

Should I report her parents again via CPS and tell them they refuse to take her to the doctors of any kind and she needs to be seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
wow why when you have not even talked to the mom . do you think the girl could be making up stories against her mother just to get even with her for punishing her maybe ? I think you need to talk to the mom . I had a little neighbor girl who would tell stories like this to get to go live with her dad and she soon found out no matter how many stories she told she would not get to live with her dad . I think you should talk to the mother and find out the real story , if you still feel like there is something wrong then talk to someone . But good grief you know kids sometimes make up stories right ?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:08 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
It sounds to me as if she doesn't have any money.

But still...I would find a way if it were my kid.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow why when you have not even talked to the mom . do you think the girl could be making up stories against her mother just to get even with her for punishing her maybe ? I think you need to talk to the mom . I had a little neighbor girl who would tell stories like this to get to go live with her dad and she soon found out no matter how many stories she told she would not get to live with her dad . I think you should talk to the mother and find out the real story , if you still feel like there is something wrong then talk to someone . But good grief you know kids sometimes make up stories right ?
Doesn't seem likely that a kid would make up a story about not being able to see to get back at her mother. A kid might say her mother hit her or didn't give her dinner or something.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
why don't you suggest she make her own appointment and you pay for it.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Do they have health insurance? Are they poor?

I suggest you read the following:

Quote:
Child protective services agencies generally will intervene when:

•Medical treatment is needed in an acute emergency (e.g., a child needs a blood transfusion to treat shock);
•A child with a life-threatening chronic disease is not receiving needed medical treatment (e.g., a child with diabetes is not receiving medication); or
•A child has a chronic disease that can cause disability or disfigurement if left untreated (e.g., a child with congenital cataracts needs surgery to prevent blindness).
In these cases, child protection services agencies may seek a court order for medical treatment to save the child’s life or prevent life-threatening injury, disability or disfigurement.

Although medical neglect is highly correlated with poverty, there is a distinction between a caregiver’s inability to provide the needed care based on cultural norms or the lack of financial resources and a caregiver’s knowing reluctance or refusal to provide care. Children and their families may be in need of services even though the parent may not be intentionally neglectful. When poverty limits a parent’s resources to adequately provide necessities for the child, services may be offered to help families provide for their children.

Child Neglect

Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Is this the same girl you worked on a project with for your police explorer group?

If so, based on Hope's post, I don't think there's anything you can do, or should, for that matter. Not with this family. Perhaps the girl can seek help from her counselor at school, or perhaps one of your explorer advisers?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It sounds to me as if she doesn't have any money.

But still...I would find a way if it were my kid.
This is what I was thinking.

I grew up in a poor household with 6 siblings. With 9 people to feed and clothe my parents could not afford to take us to the doctor, dentist, ect on a regular basis. I went to the dentist once in my entire childhood.
However, my mom often refused to take us to the doctor because (for some reason I never figured out) she thought we were faking illness. I broke my knee cap on a field trip in 9th grade. I walked home from school with a swollen knee and was in tears by the time I got home. Mom asked me what was wrong and I told her I hurt my knee. She told me to go lay on the couch and she'd look at me later. That later never came and I never did get the knee tended to. I found out 13 years later (after another knee injury) that I had, indeed, broken it.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do they have health insurance? Are they poor?

I suggest you read the following:

Her mom can go out and buy new furniture and iPhones but can't "afford" to pay a water bill so everyone can shower once a day or so that my friend can have new clothes after 3 years of not having anything new.

And yes she has health insurance yet her mom won't pay for anything and tells her she is faking it.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Is this the same girl you worked on a project with for your police explorer group?

If so, based on Hope's post, I don't think there's anything you can do, or should, for that matter. Not with this family. Perhaps the girl can seek help from her counselor at school, or perhaps one of your explorer advisers?
My explorer adviser is a woman in her 30's with NO children who thinks that this girl has been exaggerating the truth on things.

It's bull she will do nothing to help her but everything to make life harder on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting