Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,488,009 times

Advertisements

I think one thing a good school does is set kids up with the expectation that they'll be successful, contributing members of society. I don't think it has that much to do with what's taught, but more to do with the attitudes of the kids around them. Parents can also do (or undo) this themselves, regardless of what school your kid goes to. However, if you want to slack as a parent but still want your kid to go to Harvard, send them to the "best" schools. The peer pressure in these places will drive your kids to succeed, even if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,198 times
I am from LI, I am looking for a school with parental involvement and positive teachers. I think today children are the second thought. Today while I was at my child's school, another child called his mother because he forgot his lunch, the secretary was handed the phone by the child who was crying, why was he crying? because the mother told him tough s**t, she was not leaving work to bring his lunch to him, guess what the child is only 8 years old. I think I have heard and seen everything now.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 PM

959 posts, read 4,494,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I am from LI, I am looking for a school with parental involvement and positive teachers. I think today children are the second thought. Today while I was at my child's school, another child called his mother because he forgot his lunch, the secretary was handed the phone by the child who was crying, why was he crying? because the mother told him tough s**t, she was not leaving work to bring his lunch to him, guess what the child is only 8 years old. I think I have heard and seen everything now.
poor baby

Old 06-20-2007, 09:40 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,794 times
I was trying to find the Mark Twain quote when I came across all these and more. I thought they were funny and even somewhat truthful.

[Education is] One of the chief obstacles to intelligence and freedom of thought.
Bertrand A. Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician, and writer.

Education … has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876-1962) British historian

It is little short of a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not already completely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry…. I believe that one could even deprive a healthy beast of prey of its voraciousness if one could force it with a whip to eat continuously whether it were hungry or not…
Albert Einstein (1879-1955) U.S. physicist

The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without a teacher.
Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915) American author, editor and printer.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer.

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute will overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient.
Edmund S. Wilson (1895-1972) U.S. author, literary and social critic.

Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire.
William B. Yeats, poet

Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 PM

212 posts, read 859,042 times
I haven't read what everyone else wrote but going to a competitive school does establish a mind set early on that mediocrity doesn't cut it, in school or in real life if you really want to accomplish anything. If you go to a school that has a lot of problems, kids will think that "it's ok" to be that way and the world is like that. It's when they get into the real world when they realize their dream jobs required much more work than they realized and that competition is everywhere. But if you're surrounded by a bunch of over achievers to begin with, then you have a tendency to try harder yourself, just to keep up! Having gone to somewhat of a top school, I can see the impact it has had on me and my classmates, versus someone who went to a less competitive school. I know my observations are just a generalization and don't necessarily apply to everyone at every school good or bad. In the end it comes down to the individuals and the influences surrounding them.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,628 times
my mom is a teacher....has taught in 3 different states...she has told parents that if a child is not doing so well in school etc, some of the parents 'blame' her for not doing her job....
i had 'test anxieties' and it seemed to me that my teachers thought i wasnt learning the stuff & seemed stupid... I WAS learning it but when i came to taking tests I would totally blank out...finally was diagnosed my SR in high school so...

Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 AM

76 posts, read 265,294 times
Default Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmflan View Post
I was trying to find the Mark Twain quote when I came across all these and more. I thought they were funny and even somewhat truthful.

[Education is] One of the chief obstacles to intelligence and freedom of thought.
Bertrand A. Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician, and writer.

Education … has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876-1962) British historian

It is little short of a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not already completely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry…. I believe that one could even deprive a healthy beast of prey of its voraciousness if one could force it with a whip to eat continuously whether it were hungry or not…
Albert Einstein (1879-1955) U.S. physicist

The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without a teacher.
Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915) American author, editor and printer.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer.

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute will overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient.
Edmund S. Wilson (1895-1972) U.S. author, literary and social critic.

Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire.
William B. Yeats, poet
Thanks for taking the time to find those. My profession has been in adult education for the past 20 years, and there is not one of those quotes I would disagree with. Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,031 times
Well I've seen comparisions for problem schools vs. competitive schools so far, but fortunately for many there are many schools in-between. Coming from a very competitive school, I've seen first hand what can happen to these so called "over-achievers", usually created by their parents, and it doesn't always have a positive ending. Sure for some yes, but definately not all. I've also seen it with sports, pushing these kids from first grade on, with the hopes of... maybe even....NFL? MLB? A select few MAY get into the top high schools or colleges on some type of scholarship, but what some of these kids feel pressured into doing to stay on top...well its not always pretty. It is not all how it appears to be.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
I don't know the situation with that 8-year-old child, and I suspect you don't either. Perhaps he leaves things at home regularly or had been told that he should pick it up several times that morning. 8 is not 4, and that child is old enough to be responsible for his lunch. If his mother or father continue to bring it to him and bring him whatever he needs even when he is responsible, how will he learn the importance of responsibility? Perhaps that child was a second thought to the mother, or perhaps he was her first thought. Perhaps she was trying to raise a good adult.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 AM

959 posts, read 4,494,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I don't know the situation with that 8-year-old child, and I suspect you don't either. Perhaps he leaves things at home regularly or had been told that he should pick it up several times that morning. 8 is not 4, and that child is old enough to be responsible for his lunch. If his mother or father continue to bring it to him and bring him whatever he needs even when he is responsible, how will he learn the importance of responsibility? Perhaps that child was a second thought to the mother, or perhaps he was her first thought. Perhaps she was trying to raise a good adult.
No matter what the circumstances you don't speak to a child in that language. And I have a lot of empathy for anyone who forgets anything. You have ZERO control over forgetting. Oh, I think I'll forget to take my lunch to school today I have ADHD and know first hand how frustrating it is to forget something without meaning to. My closest friends are those who can overlook my annoying traits And it's at minimum what I expect (and fortunately receive) from my own parents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting