Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,110 times

Advertisements

I'm living in California right now and my mom is having problems with her new boss. She wants to move the east coast to try a new field.

I am living in Santa Clarita, CA which is a good place to live with a lot of conveniences. Examples, drug stores, restraunts, grocery stores, ect. Very little crime, good schools (state testing wise).

So can anybody here help us find a good city with these privlages, but in Pennsylvania. Preferable in eastern Pennsylvania. I trust somebody can help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
I think in eastern PA crime tends to be concentrated in certain areas while some city neighborhoods and suburbs are typically very safe. Some places close to each other on the map are difficult to reach due to not so good roads with traffic choke points. Schools vary quite a bit. We'd probably need a bit more specifics about what field, what income level, etc. to get closer to more meaningful recommendations.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM

OK, well I'm not sure what field. But probably $285,000 would be the max amount we are looking to spend. And if this helps we are looking for an 'upper-middle' class suburb.

Last edited by DucksFan; 01-04-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
I would recommend Montgomery County, PA. located in the Philadelphia suburbs. Great suburbs and also not to far from the big city.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Anywhere but Philadelphia is peachy.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Anywhere but Philadelphia is peachy.
Please tell me your not just another Philly basher. Its really starting to get old

Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 AM

OK, I'm going to this thing so here we go.

When are you moving? This year, near the end of May.
Where are you coming from? Saugus, CA
Why are you moving? Cheaper cost of living for the most part.
Where will you be working? Yes.
Have you been here yet? We went to Hershey Park over the summer.

Will you buy or rent? Buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, $290,000.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? N/A
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? N/A.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Two boys (15 but will be 16 come time to move and 13)
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public, good schools would be great!
Do you have pets? Yes, a cat and a dog.
Do you want or need a yard? Want.
Are you keeping a car? Most likely. It might be time for a new one soon.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Somewhere in between. Don't want to be the only house around for miles. But don't want neighbors that are about 7-9 feet away. Yes where I live the house next door is about 7-9ft away.

What do you want to be closest to?
2)Work
3)Shopping
1)Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
4)Nightlife
5)Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I guess mostly white. That sounds racist. Religion...probably were people aren't too into it.

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Don't care. Only care for hockey. GO DUCKS!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksFan View Post

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Don't care. Only care for hockey. GO DUCKS!
You mean Go Flyers right? Otherwise you will be a minority in a sea of orange, black and white, just keep that in mind. Also a lot of NJ Devils fans on the border.

Also suggest you visit PA right now, not during the summer months it's night and day.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
It sounds like you would be a little better off with one of the more metropolitan areas (W-B/Scr, Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia, Harrisburg) or State College. I know some people really get into minor league hockey with either the WBS Penguins or Hershey Bears.

Pittsburgh metro, although not "eastern PA" might also be worth mentioning, as they have the "real" Penguins. It's also more economical than Philly metro, and even Harrisburg metro for that matter.

Note that all of these have sub-forums (except State College) and once you decide questions are probably better directed to the metro sub-forum as many of the more knowledgeable folks in these appear not to check the statewide forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania