Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation: I am a recent Penn State grad (age 23) that has lived in the Harrisburg area my whole life. It's not a bad place to live, but the Hburg suburb area is truly ideal for families as opposed to young professionals. And yes, I go to 2nd Street on weekends with my friends. I know the city scene here quite well. I have a job now for the last 3 months within VERY short walking distance to the Amtrak station (important mention) in Harrisburg. I have a very good paying job, not in the six-figures or anything, but very good for my age. I have zero debt, a car, and I have been living back at home with my mom saving up money. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO LIVE IN THE PHILLY AREA MY WHOLE LIFE. Hburg feels like an island because I want to live in an urban area and it's close to several major cities that I all enjoy (NYC, Balt, Philly, DC, Pitt), but not close enough. I know the Main Line is expensive. I have a friend or two that may move to Philly soon, so I'd have someone to room with if I wanted to move there. I checked the Hburg commute on the Amtrak website and it's about 1:10 to Paoli/Malvern, 1:20ish to Ardmore (30th st station is too far I think). Would it be reasonable for me to live out there? I figure with the train commute too I can be on my laptop and get everything done I want to then as opposed to just doing it when I get back from work anyway. I also have weekends off. I work a standard work week (8:30/9am-5pm 5 day/wk) since I work for the State. What do you guys think? I figure to live right near the Main Line in an apartment, suck up the commute during the week, and then party it up and enjoy the scene on weekends in the City. There is so much more to do in Philly than Hburg. I have really been thinking about this for a while now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
I think Paoli/Malvern does not have an urban feel, it is distinctly suburbs. Ardmore has a more urban feel, in an "inner ring, close in suburb to a major urban city" way. But for a true urban feel and lifestyle you do need to live in the city. Also, be prepared for delays from snow, ice, leaves on tracks (Oct and Nov), windstorm (downed trees on the tracks), etc., etc.

I see this is your first post. I have to add you'll get more responses if you make it readable, i.e, use paragraphs, looking at and reading that post is painful on the eyes to me.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, I am new here. I appreciate the advice...perhaps i'll re-post in the Philly thread to get more responses as well.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
paoli is about 50 min by septa train..trains run til 145 am.saturday nights. all amtrak trains stop at paoli. there is a decent apartment complex next to the station which would.mean a short walk to the train. paoli is a quiet town but there is tjs near the station and its 25min shorter than 30th. youll.be accumulating points for free travel to nyc or dc. ardmore is only 20 min by septa train to the city. ardmore.has more on its own including suburban square shopping center but youre commute is longer and not all amtrak trains stop there. be sure to sign up for amtraks.credit card to accumulate points faster

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM

thanks for the help. it seems like ardmore might work better. the amtrak schedule says it has stops for the morning for me to go to hburg and has stops in the evening for me to return which is good.

u said there were some appt complexes near the Paoli station, but do u know anything decent next to the Ardmore station?

...and the amtrak credit card sounds cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania