Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Johnstown is to Pennsylvania what Albany is to Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
The sad part is that the town is situated in an area that has a lot of potential. It's got a very picturesque landscape and a lot of natural beauty. It's a shame to see such a blighted little city in such an otherwise nice place.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
It's a shame that downtown Johnstown can't follow the lead of places like Uniontown and Greensburg, which have similar populations and nicely revitalized historic downtowns.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
It's a shame that downtown Johnstown can't follow the lead of places like Uniontown and Greensburg, which have similar populations and nicely revitalized historic downtowns.
What has been revitalized in downtown Greensburg? I ran the Greensburg Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and I haven't seen any changes. The race starts in front of the courthouse, goes down mainstreet and turns right on Cribbs St. parallel to Route 30, through Southwest Greensburg to W. Pittsburgh Street, and back past Westmoreland Hospital to W. Otterman, and finishes behind the courthouse on S. Pennsylvania Ave. Other than the train station, I haven't noticed anything in Greensburg that looks revitalized or maybe I ran through the wrong neighborhoods.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
The problem with Johnstown is that it's been de-vitalized.

Old Westmont is a great example of a streetcar suburb though, especially with the "streetcar" still there: Welcome to the Johnstown Inclined Plane- World's Steepest Vehicular Incline

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What has been revitalized in downtown Greensburg? I ran the Greensburg Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and I haven't seen any changes. The race starts in front of the courthouse, goes down mainstreet and turns right on Cribbs St. parallel to Route 30, through Southwest Greensburg to W. Pittsburgh Street, and back past Westmoreland Hospital to W. Otterman, and finishes behind the courthouse on S. Pennsylvania Ave. Other than the train station, I haven't noticed anything in Greensburg that looks revitalized or maybe I ran through the wrong neighborhoods.
Maybe they're talking about the new brick pavers that were installed in the crosswalks near the courthouse. Aside from that, I also see no revitalization in Greensburg. It's the same damn place it's always been, only now the court flies have prettier paths to cross on their way to small claims and child support court. I could be wrong though.....Perhaps they installed new state-of-the-art ashtrays in the courtyard in front of the courthouse, and I just didn't notice.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
which one?
The last one, in 1977 -- it expedited the exit of Bethlehem Steel and a few other industries, and brought on some pretty horrendous attempts at redevelopment.

Johnstown really does have a lot of potential; I'll agree. It's a compact little downtown surrounded by unique little neighborhoods. Alas, all the development is taking place out in the former rural areas.

George's Song Shop and the flood museum are worth the trip, however.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Greensburg has a vibrant downtown. Lots of coffee shops, boutique stores, a gay club, restaurants, a renovated historic theater, etc. It's really a model example of what downtowns in the area should look like.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Greensburg has a vibrant downtown. Lots of coffee shops, boutique stores, a gay club, restaurants, a renovated historic theater, etc. It's really a model example of what downtowns in the area should look like.
You're either forgetting or you're too young to realize that for every one of those places in Greensburg you've mentioned, two businesses shut down. There used to be a couple of indie record stores there, several skate shops and underground music venues, and a much more vibrant nightlife than what exists there now. That wasn't very long ago either....10-15 years maybe.

To me, Greensburg now seems rather barren in comparison to how it was back then. The biggest growth I've seen there is of the big-box corporate expansion along the Rt 30 corridor. That's fine and dandy, but you can eat at Texas Roadhouse and Chili's, as well as shop at Lowe's or Wal Mart anywhere in the country.

I'm not trying to slight or discredit the things you mentioned, but you've got to look at the big picture. I'd take the Greensburg of the late 90's over the Greensburg of today any day.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
You're either forgetting or you're too young to realize that for every one of those places in Greensburg you've mentioned, two businesses shut down. There used to be a couple of indie record stores there, several skate shops and underground music venues, and a much more vibrant nightlife than what exists there now. That wasn't very long ago either....10-15 years maybe...

I'm not trying to slight or discredit the things you mentioned, but you've got to look at the big picture. I'd take the Greensburg of the late 90's over the Greensburg of today any day.
Realize that you are comparing Greensburg to its past, while I am comparing Greensburg to other towns in the area. Most smaller cities in PA and OH were probably better decades ago, but that's the past and it's gone. All we can do is look at places for what they are now, and Greensburg compares very favorably to other small towns in the region. Remember that it could look like McKeesport or Brownsville. It's unfortunate, but the economy of the late '90s is probably not going to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania