Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,454 times

Advertisements

I think part of the difference here is that we have the grand jury report, where people have already given sworn testimony. JoePa admitted that he knew about some of this stuff. We know that Sandusky was continually allowed back on campus. This is a different situation all around that a garden variety rape charge (not downplaying rape charges, just that they're much more common than this crazy situation).

I think what makes it even worse is the way PSU is handling it. Talk about a school in need of the best PR crisis-management team money can buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Interesting response and of course you entitled to your own opinion.

Like I said, I find it very interesting how some cases are "innocent until proven guilty" while others are "hang em high before and after proven guilty". A definite bias exists here.

I had a minor in sociology btw which is why I like this kind of stuff.
Geography plays a huge part in lots of this stuff as well as lots of factors, like race, religion and a host of other things. If you are referring to just Joe, then your point might be spot on. He is there doing a job and he reported everything to his superiors. If he sidestepped that process he would be out of line for Penn State, but should he have been out of line in the chain in this case? Are these allegations even true? Seems we have a linch mob in place as we always do when anyone is accused of anything. One thing for sure, we have no progressed at all since the lynch mob days.

Ben is not the greatest example. Pittsburgh was ready to dumb him fast when all that was going on, but he can play well and get in the good graces because the accusers are suspect due to the money train they were going after.

It is an interesting study, but the lynch mob thing is alive and well.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow! Shades of Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant! These old coaches just sort of flame out.

I can see the Woody Hayes legacy being tarnished comparison, but wth did Bear Bryant ever do to tarnish his legacy?? I must have been sleeping during that whole episode..

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Geography plays a huge part in lots of this stuff as well as lots of factors, like race, religion and a host of other things. If you are referring to just Joe, then your point might be spot on. He is there doing a job and he reported everything to his superiors. If he sidestepped that process he would be out of line for Penn State, but should he have been out of line in the chain in this case? Are these allegations even true? Seems we have a linch mob in place as we always do when anyone is accused of anything. One thing for sure, we have no progressed at all since the lynch mob days.

Ben is not the greatest example. Pittsburgh was ready to dumb him fast when all that was going on, but he can play well and get in the good graces because the accusers are suspect due to the money train they were going after.

It is an interesting study, but the lynch mob thing is alive and well.
Oh, come on! Joe Pa is practically a god to some in PA. This is a child abuse case. This isn't some low level assistant professor reporting someone for smoking marijuana.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow! Shades of Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant! These old coaches just sort of flame out.
Woody Hayes was forced out at Ohio State after punching an opposing player during a bowl game. Bear Bryant, on the other hand, retired on his own; he was not forced out at Alabama.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Mark Madden had it figured out months ago: Madden: Sandusky a State secret - Timesonline.com: Mark Madden:

Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Mark Madden had it figured out months ago: Madden: Sandusky a State secret - Timesonline.com: Mark Madden:
I usually view Madden as an obnoxious blowhard, but that post was really prescient.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Obviously, your reading comprehension isn't all it could be.
No, it is yours that is lacking as you obviously didn't read my response. My comment was based on what happened at the time of the incident, not now. Ten+ years ago the picture wasn't quite as clear. It all looks black and white now, but are large chunk of criticism people are spewing relates back to what happened when the incident was first reported.

Let me ask you this. What do you think should happen in this case? Joe is almost certainly gone after this year, I don't think there is any way he survives this. Even if this scandal didn't happen I think he would have been pushed out anyway based on the fact that he can barely do his job anymore. Unless he actually committed perjury or some other form of obstruction then the chance of any criminal charge is unlikely. Even if he is charged, what would come of it? He's in his mid eighties. It would surprise me if he doesn't drop dead in the next few days from all of this.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but threads like this are always interesting to me. For example, when it comes to the Big Ben's of the world it's "there's not enough evidence! The victim is a whore! No one was found guilty! They are out to get him!". However, when a coach from another town is being question for heinous acts it's, "Hang him high! What a creep! Down with his legacy!" with the same lack of a conviction.

I know people will get upset by this post, but from an outsider looking in perspective it shows where people's biases lie. Very interesting.
Situation A is a DTF girl, drunk out at a bar accusing a quarterback of rape with no witnesses or apparent evidence. Bens behavior was reprehensible that night, an embarrassment to the team, but there was not enough evidence to even initiate an investigation into the matter.

Situation B has a man in a position of power raping young boys with witnesses to the affair and a university not only pushing the incidents under the rug, but allowing the animal continued access to young boys. And even after the news breaks, the schools president states that he unconditionally supports the perv.

There really is no comparison

Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Let me ask you this. What do you think should happen in this case?
All of those involved in the incident and its coverup should admit all wrongdoing, obviating the need for the circus a long, drawn out trial would become, and lose their jobs and their pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania