Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,575,564 times

Advertisements

I don't understand enough about the financing of sports at public (or state-related) universities in PA to know the answer to these questions:

If, as is being reported, the NCAA fines Penn State $30 (or $60?) million, where does that money come from? Are the sports programs at PSU organized as a department of the College of Arts and Sciences, or is it a separate "College of Athletics", and if so do they have sufficient funds to cover that tab on their own? Or will the sum be paid by taking money from the university's general funds - that is, directly at the cost of the primary function of the university, which I take it is still undergraduate and graduate education, rather than playing football, even at PSU?

Naturally, I say "directly", because there is clearly going to be an indirect cost to the university's primary purpose no matter where the money comes from, in which case PSU becomes Exhibit A in the case against athletic programs benefiting higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
the other programs are all supported football/basketball(baseball in some southern schools) at most big schools.

obviously basketball doesn't help in PSU's case, so football was the one that supported the rest. if they lose football(which i doubt but we will find out in 20 minutes) who knows.

psu doesn't have near the endowment that a prestigious academic-first place like Pitt does, but its still a lot of money. can they touch that to pay the fines? can they touch that to pay all the victims in the coming months? don't think so, but i don't know for sure.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
psu doesn't have near the endowment that a prestigious academic-first place like Pitt does.
Indeed. Pitt ranks 26th nationally in endowment.

List of colleges and universities in the United States by endowment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
psu doesn't have near the endowment that a prestigious academic-first place like Pitt does.
LOL.

PSU is always, always ranked above Pitt in academics.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM

The new president, Erickson, has released a statement on the PSU website which indicates the $60mil fine will be spread over five years.

$12 million could provide half-tuition scholarships for 1500 new students, or reduce the tuition of all 15,000 freshman at Penn State by about $800 each year.

$12 million could pay the salaries of about 250 new assistant profs, or buy a half-dozen new academic departments, lock, stock and barrel, each including four or five senior profs, a dozen or so non-tenured assistants or instructors, a dozen graduate fellowships, and four or five support staff.

$12 million would cover the institutional digital subscription cost of at least 8,000 academic journals. Or pay for the purchase of about 24,000 laptops.

$60 million would pay all or most of the price of a new classroom building, complete with state-of-the-art IT and audiovisual equipment.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

I don't know why Erickson is just lying down and taking this. By not appealing, he is obviously not acting in the university's best interest.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Erickson has served with grace and prudence during his brief tenure as President.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

I don't know why the board of trustees would not immediately order Erickson to refuse to pay the fine, withdraw from the NCAA, shut down the football program and fire all its staff.

And if they don't, I wonder if the taxpayers of the Commonwealth will know why their money is being wasted?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Shutting down the football program would lose the university a lot more than 60 mil in the long run.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I don't understand enough about the financing of sports at public (or state-related) universities in PA to know the answer to these questions:
In PSU's case it was a money making machine. If you want to include merchandise that isn't included as being directly related to football they were making 70 or 80 million a year. That's after expenses. Those revenues paid for other sports at the school ,scholarships etc.

I don't know how their finances are organized and technically the school may have to pay the fine, ultimately the football program will pay it at the expense of the students who benefit from those football revenues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania