Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I am a native of St. Marys, and have spent most of my adult life living in State College and Pittsburgh. I am an enthusiast of the urban forms of Northern Appalachia, and enjoy documenting the architecture, streetscapes, and "sense of place" of cities and towns throughout the region (PA this side of Blue Mtn, Southern Tier NY, Western MD, WV, Appalachian OH).
I was wondering if you were traveling along strike of the Marcellus Formation, or just stayed three to four hours' west of the Appalachian Trail. There don't seem to be many of us who see commonality in NY and WV. But I suppose I do. I graduated from Dryden (NY) HS, my wife from Flintstone (MD), and we had a keg of Straub at our wedding.

Quote:
Renovo is one of many north-central PA towns I ventured to last year, all of which have really unique looks and interesting stories to tell. Renovo is especially exciting considering its extreme remoteness (only Emporium and Galeton come close in PA) combined with its gritty, dense urban fabric... like a tiny slice of a Pittsburgh neighborhood plopped into the glorious middle of nowhere.
Reminds me of a thread I once started, //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...lose-road.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
Quote:
Renovo (pop. 1,228), located in north-central Pennsylvania, is the most remote town with a population over 1,000 in Pennsylvania. Along with neighboring borough South Renovo (pop. 439) and some "suburban" areas (Falwell, West Renovo, Drurys Run, North Bend), the Greater Renovo area has a population of a little over 2,000. Situated on a thin strip of land along the West Branch Susquehanna River in western Clinton County (pop. 39,239), Renovo is a great distance from even the smallest towns (county seat Lock Haven is the closest at 28 miles southeast)... it is truly a frontier outpost. To the north, south and west... the closest towns over 1,000 are between 45 and 50 miles... distances extremely uncommon in the Eastern half of the United States. The motorist must be very strategic concerning gas stations... as you can go 50 miles without one in this part of PA (and probably none are open overnight). Renovo is the only morsel of civilization along PA-120 between Emporium and Lock Haven (73 miles known as the Bucktail State Park Wild Area Scenic Drive)... a rugged, twisty drive along wild rivers and through deep gorges.
That arial shot is remarkable- a dense football shaped town with nothing around it. It has a very well defined edge. Very unusual.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Reminds me of a thread I once started, //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...lose-road.html
I read through this amazing thread a few weeks ago. It's exactly the type of topic I enjoy.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
I loved this photo tour of this little town. I bet it is stunning there in the fall.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
There is an annual Flaming Foliage Festival - can't find a website for it though (????).

Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 903 times
My Husband and I stayed at Sportsmans hotel. It was small but clean,quiet,and low cost. It's attatched to it's own restaurant which has incredibley good homemade meals. As well as a small bar separated from the restaurant. We now have a house there in South Renovo, but would recommend Sportsmans to tourists and guests.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
My husband and I were both born and raised in Renovo PA. In the 70's, he joined the Army and we moved way for close to 30 years. After traveling and living across the USA and in Europe, my husband retired from the military and we chose to move back to Renovo. We wanted to get away from the busyness & craziness of "the world". The slower, quieter pace was so welcoming. Living amid the beauty and splendor of nature again was healing to a frazzled soul. There are excellent restaurants (no fast food chains), a small caring medical center, churches, community events year round, 4 fire stations and ambulance services, parks for the children, a local grocery store, gas stations, dollar stores, Rec Center (with swimming, aquasize, kids programs), small town parades and festivals, and one traffic light in the middle of town. Renovo is very patriotic and honors all veterans. The town may be a little "run down" looking due to the lack of industry, but there are some beautiful homes in all neighborhoods. Employment in Renovo is very poor; many residents are retired and those who are employed need to drive at least 30 miles away. Renovo has it's charms but there are some drawbacks, like every tiny town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania