Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
WRONG!!!

It's a safety requirement that doesn't cost too much and there are many other things that actually qualify as scams like State Stores., etc., largest legislature in the country . . .

Please provide a link to your source of information.
Peter I decided to compile some data for you and others to look at, hopefully this will demonstrate the true value of PA "inspections" and I welcome further debate. Additionally, this is one of those issues that I am only against because it is ineffective and promotes deceptive practices. If the data were to back up the value of private automobile safety inspections in PA I would be all for it. The facts are below enjoy:

121,312 accidents in PA (2010)
2589 accidents due to safety issues in PA (2010)
2.1% of accidents in PA due to safety issues (2010)
Conclusion: Similar to the rest of the country, very few accidents in PA are caused by safety issues with vehicles. Some may attribute this to “inspections,” but further analysis of the data is needed.
Source: ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/Bur...CFB_linked.pdf

150,517 accidents in Kentucky [No Inspections] (2010)
3281 accidents due to safety issues in Kentucky (2010)
2.2% of accidents in Kentucky due to safety issues (2010)
Conclusion: Similar to PA, Kentucky has very few accidents caused by safety issues with vehicles. This is rather interesting, especially because Kentucky does not require vehicle safety inspections. Further analysis of the data reveals similar findings across many states and very few if any states with vehicle safety inspections have significantly less accidents due to safety related reasons. Overall, the data is inconclusive, but demonstrates that vehicle safety inspections may not be as effective as previously thought.
Source: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/p...Facts_2010.pdf

PA driver fatalities due to auto accidents in 2010 = 1,324
Ohio (no inspections) drive fatalities due to auto accidents in 2010 = 1,080
Maryland (no inspections) driver fatalities due to auto accidents in 2010= 493
Conclusion: PA has more fatal accidents than many states with no inspections
Source: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811552.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM

207 posts, read 284,790 times
I drove my wife's car back from Florida to PA. When I got back to PA I was pulled over 3 times because the cops in whatever towns I stopped insisted ALL states required inspection stickers on cars. Sort of funny but annoying.

I wouldn't say it's a safety requirement as a whole. Issues can most certainly be overlooked. I've seen some pretty unsafe sounding and unsafe looking cars puttering down the streets with a new inspection sticker on them. Sure, it's not really that much money, but it's not like every car that passes inspection is definately safe. I wouldn't miss it if they got rid of it, that's for sure.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Inspections are a great idea if they are really for keeping drivers safe and they reduce accidents caused by vehicle defects that would be found in these inspections. The problem lies with the execution of this program and the corruption that runs rampant. I was born in PA and left the state for about a decade and realized that I felt no safer driving a car in PA with inspections than driving in a state that does not have inspections. I remember in high school some of my friends telling me about this mechanic who would just sell you the stickers for $100 so you wouldn't have to go through the whole inspection process. I also remember going to college away from home in PA and getting my first inspection in a small town where I did not know a mechanic. He tried to charge me $1300 for repairs that I did not need and I simply said I will take it elsewhere and get it re-inspected. At my hometown mechanic he said I needed about $75 worth of repairs and voila I had my new inspection sticker. Much like the state run liquor stores, the car inspection system is broken in PA and needs to be fixed.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM

207 posts, read 284,790 times
There was a guy in Moosic, PA who used to give away the stickers for about $60, no questions asked. Drive up, say you need an inspection, sticker gets placed on your windshield, and you drive away. I never went to him personally, but a bunch of guys at my father's workplace used to go there, so other than them, I can't imagine how many people he did this for over the years. Pretty sure last year or two years ago he got busted though.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Mike I am not surprised by this and to add to my previous post the $100 deal was for emissions and inspection since this was the Pittsburgh area and they are both required. The inspection system is very corrupt and most people will get their car fixed if there are issues regardless of a "safety inspection." Additionally, most states that do not have inspections readily ticket drivers that do not fix safety issues on their cars. I also remember an issue that my wife had with an inspection one time, she failed an inspection because her tires were below standard according to the inspection station. They also offered to replace all 4 tires for a "great deal" of only $800. She thought that was a bit high so she decided to shop around and went to a tire store. The tire store that also was an inspection station said her tires were above standard and simply made her pay another inspection fee and gave her the sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania