Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,075 times

Advertisements

My son worked for a company for over a year and was fired 1/7/12 for a rule violation and has been denied unemployment benefits. He than got another job full-time under a 1099 tax form and worked their about 4 weeks and was laid off due to lack of work, my question is can he receive unemployment benefits from his first job that he was fired from for the rule violation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM

115 posts, read 186,271 times
He can apply for u/c and see what they determine. Since he worked since his dismissal, he may be eligible again. I don't know if there is a financial threshold like there is with a voluntary quit.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
There are two issues here.

The first is whether your son was "terminated for cause". As a general rule, unless the separation was for either willful misconduct or derilection of duty, the separated employee still qualifies. Burden of proof rests mostly with the employer, and the employer can substantiate it with evidence such as writen warnings or policies, etc.

But even if an emplyee is disqualified from benefits, he/she can be reinstated once a (pre-tax) amount equal to six times the weekly benefit otherwise allowed is earned. OBviously, a weekly benefit rate would have to be determined before this standard could be applied.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 PM

My son was fired for will misconduct back in January, I thought if he found another full-time job and if he got laid of due to lack of work he could collect his benefits from the employeer that fried him back in January. He work for the new company for 4 weeks

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktheshark View Post
He can apply for u/c and see what they determine. Since he worked since his dismissal, he may be eligible again. I don't know if there is a financial threshold like there is with a voluntary quit.
The unemployment told he was still not elgible because he was fired for a rule violation causing willful misconduct, your thoughts?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 AM

115 posts, read 186,271 times
The first firing is history now, as the u/c people ruled on it. The question is when he can become eligible again. 2nd trick op pretty much answered that, your son would have to earn 6 times the benefit rate to repply.My guess would be the rate he was given back in January when he first applied. By now, it should be too late to appeal any decision from back then.

The u/c office would be able to answer whatever questions you have with alot better information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania