Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times

Advertisements

I added some information about the city of Erie schools in the other "Erie" thread if any of the posters are interested in looking at it and if the OP wants to be near Lake Erie, Waterford would probably not be the best option since it is south. I have no problem with the suburbs, but Fairview, Millcreek, Harborcreek, etc. would all be closer to the big lake than Waterford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 AM

56 posts, read 112,689 times
There is the ever wonderful Lake LeBoeuf. Waterford isn't that far south. Edinboro is also nice and it has a lake too. Two if you include Fake lake on the EUP campus.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Town near Erie makes Best Places to Live list - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM

56 posts, read 112,689 times
Millcreek isn't really a town but a township. It has lots to offer and is pretty good sized and spread out with lots of subdivisions. I lived in Millcreek for about 2 or 3 years when I was a kid then I rented in Millcreek as an adult.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Millcreek Twp. is a really nice place and I love Presque Isle and Asbury Woods. With that being said, Erie and Millcreek should be combined since Millcreek relies on Erie for many services such as fire, water, etc. I know the PA annexing laws make combining areas pretty challenging, but the Erie vs. Millcreek thing is pretty silly since there is so much sharing of resources and amenities between the two areas.

"The Authority’s water system is supplied primarily by water purchased from the Erie City Water Authority. In 2011 the Authority purchased 96% of it’s water from the Erie City Water Authority."

MIllcreek Township Water & Sewer Authorities

Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catras View Post
Millcreek isn't really a town but a township.
The article makes Millcreek sound like it's some remote town that just happens to be near Erie, instead of a large suburban township.

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Erie and Millcreek should be combined since Millcreek relies on Erie for many services such as fire, water, etc.
Most of the surrounding townships buy their water from the city. Millcreek is served by a bunch of volunteer fire departments -- Kearsarge, Belle Valley, West Ridge, etc. (you learn their names as you go to their summer festivals ) and they as a group run the township's EMS. What other services does the township get from the city?

Quote:
I know the PA annexing laws make combining areas pretty challenging
It would have to pass a referendum, and the chances of that passing are about equal to the chances of palm trees sprouting out at the peninsula in February.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Ohiogirl thanks for the input and I noticed you have been around the Erie area much longer than me so you probably know more about the area, but I am learning fast.
I actually learned quite a bit about the fire department situation because a friend of mine in Millcreek, who is also new to the area, noticed a city of Erie fire truck putting out a fire near his house. The volunteer fire departments are very helpful, but they cannot do everything that a full time fire department can do for an area. To answer your question regarding the other services the township gets from the city, here a few I know of so far:

1) Most of the social and government services provided to residents of Erie County reside in the city of Erie, such as the Erie County Department of Health. As you know many of the other services for the county are located in the city, but I don't need to list all of them. These government properties take up a significant amount of space and do not result in property tax revenues for the city.

2) The "E" or the bus service is located in the city and mostly funded by the city (from what I have been told), and it also services Millcreek and some other county areas.

3) Adding to point 1, some of the colleges and hospitals in the area are located in the city. For instance, Gannon, Mercyhurst, St. Vincent, and Hamot. Millcreek does have LECOM and the community hospital, but many Millcreek residents use the hospitals and colleges in the city.

4) A significant amount of the infrastructure and entertainment is also provided by the city and much of it benefits Millcreek. For instance, the stages used for many of the concerts at Presque Isle are provided by the city of Erie. You will notice this if you attend a concert and look at the city's logo on these stages. Another example of this is the sports teams and all of the facilities that attract major events and provide space for high school playoff events. By the way, the renovation to the Tullio arena is looking pretty good so far.

I am new to the city vs. county rivalry in Erie, but I really think the area would be better off with cooperation instead of division. I like the city and many areas of the county and the real estate market is currently crazy here. My wife and I tried to buy a few houses in Millcreek and a some in Erie and we were outbid several times. We ended up buying in Erie and we are happy with the house, but it is crazy that there are bidding wars in some areas around here right now.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Oh, I agree the cooperation is always better than division, and that cooperation will make the area much stronger as a whole.

But other than purchasing water, Millcreek does not receive any services from the Erie city government itself. EMTA is a city-county agency, and I believe the county's share is as much as the city's, if not more.

I wonder what the deal with the real estate is? I have a friend who's an agent, and she's been crazy busy this summer.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Interesting Ohiogirl, I will have to check out the funding of the E a little more. I love Asbury Woods, Presque Isle and the majority of the shopping that is in Millcreek, i.e. the mall, both Wegmans, etc. I think both areas are great, but I have noticed many locals seem to have a divisive attitude in relation to the city vs. the county. Since I purchased my house, I have heard from several of my co-workers and friends that I should be very worried about my kids attending schools in the city of Erie and I need to send them to private schools, etc. This prompted me to do even more research on the schools and as a whole the Erie school district is under-performing, but there are some great public schools in the city and luckily my kids have access to them.

My point about many of the non-profits occupying space in the city of Erie is important, because many people from outside the city use these resources, but the city loses a significant amount of tax revenue by supporting these resources. For instance, if many of the larger non-profits like St. Vincent, UPMC Hamot, Gannon, Mercyhurst, and all the government buildings were located in and occupying space in Millcreek there would be a significant loss of tax revenue for the area. Not that this could or should happen, but lets say St. Vincent relocated to the Millcreek mall and occupied former retail space. In terms of the real estate, I am amazed at how well the top neighborhoods in the Erie area are holding or increasing their value currently. Even with the real estate collapse, several Erie neighborhoods seem to be insulated from this and it is crazy how fast properties are selling. One of the houses we wanted to see sold 2 hours after it was listed and it was an all cash offer so they would not let us see it (we needed a mortgage).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
I think both areas are great, but I have noticed many locals seem to have a divisive attitude in relation to the city vs. the county.
That's not unique to Erie, alas. I grew up in the 'burbs, most of my friends live in the 'burbs, and most of them wouldn't step foot in the city if they didn't have to. Some of the aversion is taxes, some is crime, some is schools.

Quote:
Since I purchased my house, I have heard from several of my co-workers and friends that I should be very worried about my kids attending schools in the city of Erie and I need to send them to private schools, etc. This prompted me to do even more research on the schools and as a whole the Erie school district is under-performing, but there are some great public schools in the city and luckily my kids have access to them.
LOL, we just concluded a stalemate argument ... uh, discussion ... about this issue on the Cincinnati forum. The demographic at the elementary level fluctuates from school to school to the point where not all schools are equal, not even in the same district. Some schools have more parental involvement, and therefore more resources, than others. Some schools have to expend more of their resources for social services and interventions than others, and have little parent involvement. It certainly isn't an ideal situation, and it's something every large school district has to contend with. One solution is to increase parental involvement, but that's a long and rocky road with some folks. Another is to provide intensive mentoring for the kids who may not be getting that guidance at home, but that requires time and money that a lot of schools just don't have.

Erie's schools certainly have improved in the last 10 years or so. What the district has done with Academy and some of the elementary schools is fantastic. Suburban kids clamoring to get into Academy? Who'd have thunk it? I hope the progress and successes continue.

Which school do your kids attend? One of my best friends has taught at Joanna Connell for ... um, a long time ... and another friend is a nurse, floating from school to school, mostly working on the east side.

Quote:
My point about many of the non-profits occupying space in the city of Erie is important, because many people from outside the city use these resources, but the city loses a significant amount of tax revenue by supporting these resources.
Oh, I agree with that as well. Add all the church-owned properties and smaller nonprofits into your list -- although many do rent from private landlords -- and that's a huge chunk of change. But ... Erie is the county seat and the largest city in the region, and that's just how those things go. What is lost in property tax is made up for at least in part from income tax by the people who work in the city but don't live there.

Quote:
In terms of the real estate, I am amazed at how well the top neighborhoods in the Erie area are holding or increasing their value currently. Even with the real estate collapse, several Erie neighborhoods seem to be insulated from this and it is crazy how fast properties are selling.
Desirable neighborhoods will always hold their value; that's true just about anywhere. Erie is still pretty danged affordable, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania