Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
It's growing. In the process, some of the world's most fertile and beautiful farmland is being lost forever.

You got that right!!! I saw fairly recently someone asking whether they should by an existing home or build concerning Lancaster County near the city.

Some people either don't get it or they think one more house isn't going to make a difference.

It does make a difference and not for the better.

Many Amish and Black Watch Mennonite sects are writing off Lancaster County and are homesteading in parts of IA and NE.

When you have mindless trac housing sitting atop some of the most fertile farmland in America it's criminal not to speak out against it.

All in the name of growth right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
To be fair the actual population of the Amish has exploded and there wouldn't be enough farmland anyway. It is interestjng tthat one of the larger new developments to be proposed is along fruitville Pike near the station.
Nexus your express is a local. An express would be paoli and Lancaster. Two thirds of the lines ridership is Harrisburg and Lancaster. The train isn't causing sprawl...Lancaster has had better service in the past with far less sprawl. In fact fast train service is key to attracting people to the city rather than turnpike exits.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
DH and I lived in neighboring Brecknock Twp. (Berks County) near Maple Grove over 30 years ago. Then, it was very rural. I was back once, about five years ago, and it's turned into the suburbs we always hated and avoided. It made me cry, and I vowed never to go there again. The beautiful countryside is filled with McMansion developments.
Yeah the whole area in between 897 and 10 along the Berks/Lancaster/Chester line is getting filled in. This area is on the precipice of turning into Exton. All it needs is a mall and an extension to connect 222 with 30 that would cut right through the area.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
To be fair the actual population of the Amish has exploded and there wouldn't be enough farmland anyway. It is interestjng tthat one of the larger new developments to be proposed is along fruitville Pike near the station.
Nexus your express is a local. An express would be paoli and Lancaster. Two thirds of the lines ridership is Harrisburg and Lancaster. The train isn't causing sprawl...Lancaster has had better service in the past with far less sprawl. In fact fast train service is key to attracting people to the city rather than turnpike exits.
No thats an Express Servicing the popular stations with the highest boarding's....down the road with the upgraded tracks and wires , along with voltage upgrades and speed upgrades to 125mph it won't be that bad a journey.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 AM

130 posts, read 251,867 times
When the Philly and NY influence take over doom sets in look no further than the Poconos and Monroe County a violent drug infested dump.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
When the Philly and NY influence take over doom sets in look no further than the Poconos and Monroe County a violent drug infested dump.
wasn't jim thorpe just ranked one of the top small towns in the country?
I agree, monroe county is an example of some of the worst kind of development and that is also threatening lancaster country. OTOH, people moving into lancaster city seem to be helping rather than hurting.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
If the Cities don't grow which they are growing then your farmland and rural life will disappear....but it appears that PA's Urban areas and old towns are starting to grow after decades of dying. As for drugs its a bigger problem in the rural areas then the Urban areas , this isn't due to Philly or NYC , its just a rural thing same with teenage pregnancy and higher rates of underage drinking. For some reason its really bad in PA , but isn't that bad in NY or Rural Jersey....its also bad in Maryland and West Virgina...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
wasn't jim thorpe just ranked one of the top small towns in the country?
I agree, monroe county is an example of some of the worst kind of development and that is also threatening lancaster country. OTOH, people moving into lancaster city seem to be helping rather than hurting.
Some of the Keystone East towns have development and investment plans....
www.planthekeystone.com - Home

Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Do you see express service to markets like NYC, Philly and Baltimore in the plans?

Is Lancaster County a wealthier-than-average area? Do you see a healthy amount of investment activity (relative to the economy, of course)?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Do you see express service to markets like NYC, Philly and Baltimore in the plans?
I can't honestly say whether it will happen BUT it can happen (easily) and I think it would be well used. a non-stop train today would run about 58 minutes from lancaster to philly with no additional upgrades. it's entirely possible to get that down to 45 minutes with some investment and higher speed, tilting sets (which, in turn, would knock another 10-15 minutes off Philadelphia to NYP). I think baltimore will remain a transfer stop (via Philly) but if service levels increase, that should be easier to do. will this happen? hard to say, hopefully we don't go backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Is Lancaster County a wealthier-than-average area? Do you see a healthy amount of investment activity (relative to the economy, of course)?
that's not something I can answer definitively but,anecdotally, the city is showing signs of health with firms moving into the city (or expanding)...a formerly moribund downtown dining scene is slowly coming to life. I think lancaster county is lower than average in income and it's farms are dependent on selling high quality produce directly to Philadelphia markets (in this case, farmer's markets have been a boon). the train is essential to import money from philadelphia and ny both via commuters and via tourism. all that being said, the city is starting to show a healthy balance of private sector work, tourism, regional draw, and bedroom community. the county may be something else entirely. job centers do seem to be consolidating along the turnpike so that should help stability but I'm not sure sprawl is a sustainable growth model in the future. imo of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania