Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times

Advertisements

Lancaster County is a place I visit a bit-though it has been awhile since I last visited-and always come away charmed by all it has to offer, along with a nice geographical location to a lot of nice areas that are a short drive away. One thing I've notice is their seems to be quite of bit of construction-from housing and residential developments to retail to commerce. Is the area growing as it may appear? Is the economy sound (relatively speaking, considering the overall national and even global economy)? Is Lancaster County going to continue to grow it's business base, and grow in general? I know tourism is a key player, but it seems like other industries and entrepreneurs might be making investments as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
It's growing. In the process, some of the world's most fertile and beautiful farmland is being lost forever.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
The Philly burbs are spilling into the eastern half of the county, particularly in Narvon, Brecknock, East Earl and Earl townships. When I moved to Bowmansville (Brecknock) in 2001, there were 3 developments in town, and a small strip of stores/bars/churches. Now there are at least 7 developments, more popping up every time I go back, and the town is spreading in all directions. Most of the people I know/have met in the developments started out in Philly or the burbs. I'll be shocked if Lancaster is officially part of Greater Phila by 2030.

The farms are quickly shrinking and drying up, as the land is more valuable than farming it. The small farmers/Amish out here can't compete with the corporate run, assembly line style mega farms in the midwest.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
The Philly burbs are spilling into the eastern half of the county, particularly in Narvon, Brecknock, East Earl and Earl townships. When I moved to Bowmansville (Brecknock) in 2001, there were 3 developments in town, and a small strip of stores/bars/churches. Now there are at least 7 developments, more popping up every time I go back, and the town is spreading in all directions. Most of the people I know/have met in the developments started out in Philly or the burbs. I'll be shocked if Lancaster is officially part of Greater Phila by 2030.

The farms are quickly shrinking and drying up, as the land is more valuable than farming it. The small farmers/Amish out here can't compete with the corporate run, assembly line style mega farms in the midwest.
to add insult to injury, megafarms receive almost all farm subsidies and have teams of lawyers to deal with the US regulatory environment. housing isn't economic growth.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Do the Amish get any property tax breaks on their land/farms?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Do the Amish get any property tax breaks on their land/farms?
From what I know, they get standard farming breaks, I think it's called Clean & Green. Other than that, I think they only get out of Social Security. I don't know about local/school tax breaks. They don't send their kids to public schools, so it'd be rather unfair if they had to pay school taxes, but when has the government been known to be fair?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
I was in Lancaster a couple weeks ago(weekday). We see our fair share of NY license plates close to Philly but I was amazed at how many NY license plates there were driving around Lancaster. Schoolday/workday so it wasnt tourists. With this latest natural disaster in N Jersey and NYC I can see Pennsylvania looking more and more inviting destination to alot of those 20 M people in NY metro who can get out.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
From what I know, they get standard farming breaks, I think it's called Clean & Green. Other than that, I think they only get out of Social Security. I don't know about local/school tax breaks. They don't send their kids to public schools, so it'd be rather unfair if they had to pay school taxes, but when has the government been known to be fair?
many counties engage in what's called tax farming, subsidizing new development in order to boost revenues in the short term (if the amish don't pay property taxes that might be particularly lucrative for government officials). of course, the federal incentives that help developments/homebuyers and subsidies to megafarms are probably the biggest factor. add to that that local food istribution systems are gone, the chains having nationalized everything. one thing that has been helping is rising food prices. a lot of local farms have turned to growing high quality food and selling it at good prices in Philadelphia and it's helping to raise revenue. rising gas prices are probably also a benefit since it raises the cost of getting low quality midwestern food to market.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Seems like state/county officials would want to try to protect these farms, and the culture of the Amish and Mennonites should try to be preserved as best as it can-considering it provides an economic impact in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I was in Lancaster a couple weeks ago(weekday). We see our fair share of NY license plates close to Philly but I was amazed at how many NY license plates there were driving around Lancaster. Schoolday/workday so it wasnt tourists. With this latest natural disaster in N Jersey and NYC I can see Pennsylvania looking more and more inviting destination to alot of those 20 M people in NY metro who can get out.
Does Lancaster County act as a back office outpost for businesses in NYC, Philly, and New Jersey? A business and tax environment that is friendlier than New York and New Jersey, and a lower cost-of-living.

What is driving the growth in the county?

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 11-02-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Does Lancaster County act as a back office outpost for businesses in NYC, Philly, and New Jersey? A business and tax environment that is friendlier than New York and New Jersey, and a lower cost-of-living.

What is driving the growth in the county?
No idea... There's not a whole lot to do there, but a lot of Philadelphians and New Yorkers are moving there to get away from the hubbub. I think we all know how that ends. It is a very convenient location in that it's less than 2 hours from Philly, Baltimore or DC, and only 3 hours from NY. I did the commute from Lancaster to CC, though, and it's unbearable. I can't imagine many people would want to drive all that way. Chester or Mont Co, or especially Reading, however are very doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania