Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 AM

114 posts, read 713,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Pretty crazy about the fire at the Edison but the guy had a prior arson charge I think. Is the Edison bar closed up? I had a high school friend in from Montana and we went there as it seems to be one of the better relaxed bars in the area but it was closed on a Wednesday night at 7:30. It was probably about a week before the fire situation occurred. I always liked going there with old high school friends are in town and watching sports on their big tv.

When I drove by- there is no visable sign of fire. It is for sale for 1,000,000.00. It is a dive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:14 AM

114 posts, read 713,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I know the Hotel Edison is for sale, so maybe some things have changed. Chuck's Sports Bar in Selinsgrove is for sale too, including the liquor license. So there you go, R.J. Buy it and turn it into what you like, atmosphere-wise, and make a ton of money and retire rich and happy.

Nocturnal, I think Sunsetcliff is noticing it more because he moved "across the river" from sleepy Selinsgrove to sultry Sunbury.
Selinsgrove did get loud when they moved the fire station to 522. I lived in back of Coles -522.

Hey Dawn, I am looking for a trained dog.

I have proceeded on my porch enclosure.

BTW- I got my gas bill- $105. That is down from $200 in April. SO the insulation is working.
:-)

I did not know we had locals here. Who wants to help me decorate?

Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
It's all relative. People in Sunbury hear of a drug bust or arson, and they wet their pants and think the sky is falling. People here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area have become so desensitived to this sort of activity (as seen on WNEP every night), that we just shrug our shoulders and don't let it faze us as we shuffle on along mindlessly with our iPods and text messaging habits. People in The Bronx would probably move to a place like Selinsgrove and laugh at anyone who complained of "high crime." Trust me, I felt like I was walking through freakin' Mayberry when I was in Selinsgrove and Bedford Falls when I was in Lewiburg. Everyone smiled, returned my "good morning" greeting, and just seemed so wholesome. Around here I say "Good morning" to passers-by and people just grunt or pretend they didn't hear me because of the population density. I do believe that I'll be leaving Scranton to retire to a small town in Maine someday where, as they say on Cheers, "everybody knows your name."

Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's all relative. People in Sunbury hear of a drug bust or arson, and they wet their pants and think the sky is falling. People here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area have become so desensitived to this sort of activity (as seen on WNEP every night), that we just shrug our shoulders and don't let it faze us as we shuffle on along mindlessly with our iPods and text messaging habits. People in The Bronx would probably move to a place like Selinsgrove and laugh at anyone who complained of "high crime." Trust me, I felt like I was walking through freakin' Mayberry when I was in Selinsgrove and Bedford Falls when I was in Lewiburg. Everyone smiled, returned my "good morning" greeting, and just seemed so wholesome. Around here I say "Good morning" to passers-by and people just grunt or pretend they didn't hear me because of the population density. I do believe that I'll be leaving Scranton to retire to a small town in Maine someday where, as they say on Cheers, "everybody knows your name."
I don't know about the over friendlyness. There's many times I say hello to neighbors or passer-bys and they look the other way and don't say hello back. I'm often amazed at the lack of manners of some people in this area. It's not all bad but I'm the type of person who always says "good morning" or "hello" when coming into contact with people and find often they don't return the nice gesture. It's one thing that has bothered me living in this area. I've also found at work that people don't respond all that positive to nice getures which can be frustrating but that's happening everywhere not just this area.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
Quote:
I don't know about the over friendlyness. There's many times I say hello to neighbors or passer-bys and they look the other way and don't say hello back. I'm often amazed at the lack of manners of some people in this area. It's not all bad but I'm the type of person who always says "good morning" or "hello" when coming into contact with people and find often they don't return the nice gesture. It's one thing that has bothered me living in this area. I've also found at work that people don't respond all that positive to nice getures which can be frustrating but that's happening everywhere not just this area.
It's always been that way in the area. I've lived in this area for over 20 years and I hardly know anyone. People are very unfriendly. The friendliest folks are the ones who move here from another area. For the most part, the locals are very unfriendly. It very 'clannish.'

Old 11-24-2007, 05:27 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
It's always been that way in the area. I've lived in this area for over 20 years and I hardly know anyone. People are very unfriendly. The friendliest folks are the ones who move here from another area. For the most part, the locals are very unfriendly. It very 'clannish.'
I'm so surprised I had such a different experience when I was in each town. As I said in my Lewisburg Photo Tour, one elderly gentleman near the Bucknell campus even chit-chatted with me for a while. I've found people in my area to be much less friendly than they are in these wholesome small Central PA towns I've been doing my photo tours in. As I said about Williamsport, I even had people bending over backwards to help me get my bearings around town when they found out I was doing a project to boost the city's image on the Internet. The only downside I see to Central PA is that your fellow folks have a HORRIFIC staring problem unlike any I've ever seen. Am I just sexy, or what? Seriously, I wanted to just strip naked and give some of these folks a show. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania