Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM

20 posts, read 87,493 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move and have been looking in the Lancaster area. I really preferred Columbia away from the river. Someone told me to also check out Lebanon. Do the two compare at all? I'm looking for low crime, lots of stores close by.

Anyone familiar with E. Mifflin Street?

I really like the Lancaster feel with the Amish and the farms so I'm not sure about Lebanon but I really know so little about it.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it is like?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I think you'd be better off in Columbia (though Columbia is by no means the nicest town in Lancaster County). Lebanon is a genuine small city, rather than a large town; it is a bit gritty and to my knowledge parts of the city have a few crime issues. Having said that, much of Lebanon IMO wouldn't be a bad place to live, but based on what you described above you could probably find something you'll like more.

One town that is about halfway between Lancaster and Lebanon that might be worth checking out is Manheim. Lititz, which is a little less than 10 miles north of Lancaster, is also a nice town. I also wouldn't rule out Elizabethtown, which is about halfway between Lancaster and Harrisburg, or Ephrata, which is between Lancaster and Reading.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info. Problem is, I'm finding the homes in Lititz and Ephrata more expensive. I'm on a fixed income and so I'm very limited to where I can live.

I found a cute home in Lebanon but I'm not sure what that area is like. The price of the house is very reasonable so I guess that is what I'm looking for. Reasonable housing costs in a decent area. Doesn't seem to be anything in Columbia right now but the real old houses.

Elizabethtown is a bit too far as I'm trying to stay within 2 hours of Philly.

In your opinion, do you think that Lancaster City is safer than Lebanon?

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM

44 posts, read 144,331 times
Where is the house in lebanon located? There are a few nice areas. I would say the northwest and north central would be the worst. South West and South east have some nice parts. In general, suburban Lebanon is probably a better place to live if school districts are an issue.

You mention Columbia has old housing. Most of Lebanon city has probably the same.

As for stores, there are a few areas to do shopping in Lebanon, but I think many people drive to Lancaster or Harrisburg/hershey.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchin4home View Post
Elizabethtown is a bit too far as I'm trying to stay within 2 hours of Philly.

In your opinion, do you think that Lancaster City is safer than Lebanon?
Elizabethtown is within 2 hours of Philadelphia by car for most people. E-town also has fairly extensive Amtrak service (14 roundtrips on weekdays, 8 roundtrips on weekends) to/from Philadelphia. The roundtrip cost is about $35 right now for most trips, except those during the day on Fridays and Sundays (probably between $40-45 at those times).

I think Lancaster overall is probably a little safer than Lebanon, but like most places there are good places in Lancaster and bad places in Lancaster (and for that matter Lebanon in both cases). You'll probably want to check out those locations in person if you can.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

96 posts, read 370,912 times
Grew up in Lebanon city, actually kinda near E Mifflin St. My suggestion, don't go anywhere in the city...it's a dump. No nightlife, constant home invasions, drugs everywhere, etc. I remember growing up running around in the alley ways, walking around at night, and not worried about anything happening to me. The same can't be said now in Lebanon. Check the Annville/Cleona area too...it's only 10 minutes west of Lebanon. You could also look in Myerstown, which is about 10 minutes west of Lebanon. Both places would still have access to the turnpike to get to Philly.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM

44 posts, read 144,331 times
E Mifflin St in Lebanon is not a nice area, especially the closer you get to N. 11th Ave (Lebanon Village Apts). Although if you go up the 11th Ave hill from the Village and out of the city limit it is better.

I think just about anywhere in Lebanon or Lancaster county would be safely within 2 hours of Philly. In Lebanon County, check out:

Annville/Cleona and townships surrounding
South of Lebanon (West Cornwall, South Lebanon, and North Cornwall Townships)
Myerstown/ELCO (small, nothing really to do, but decent)
Palmyra and South Londonderry Twp

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 21,035 times
Default Do NOT move to Lebanon, Pennsylvania!

Just to warn you, I have grown up in this city and must say that it is the armpit of the world. There is nothing to do, barely any chance for advancement, and everyone is very miserable. Moving to the city of Lebanon would probably be the worst mistake of your life. Hershey is a rather nice town to look into, or maybe Womelsdorf, which is located near Reading? Both of which are within two hours of Philadelphia. As previously mentioned by other users, Elizabethtown and Lititz are also very small and friendly communities.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question regarding Lebanon. I've never been there but have been to the Lancaster area. I'm having a difficult time finding something in my price range right now but hopefully more homes will come on the market early spring.

I love Lancaster and have for many years so I think at this point, I'm going to continue to search there for a reasonable home. I feel safe there and I believe there is very little crime compared to other cities.

Lebanon really doesn't sound like it is for me. I can't worry about crime since I live alone.

Thanks to all.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,690 times
I'd recommend the Reading area personally. 30 min from lancaster, and about 1-1.5 hours from philly. There are area's there that have cheaper housing while not neccessarily having high crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania