Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 02:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Do you work for LIDL? I have been to LIDL stores in Europe and the comparison to WalMart is actually very good, especially when it comes working condition issues. There have been many allegations of unpaid overtime, union busting, discrimination, etc.The best way to think of LIDL is it is like ALDI, but has more name brands rather than private label. From my experience shopping at both European Aldi and LIDL stores, the Aldi employees seemed generally happier and the LIDL employees seem stressed. I will admit I have not traveled to Europe in a few years, but unless there have been some drastic changes since 2013 LIDL is definitely the WalMart of Europe. Lidl's slogan is "Where Quality is Cheaper," and this is eerily similar to the recent WalMart slogans of "Always Low Prices" or "Save Money. Live Better."

Sorry, but I doubt that you have been to a Lidl store in Europe. I have the impression that your information is just from reports that you have found on the internet. There are reports about bad treatment of employees from all grocery chains. Does that mean that all grocery chains are similar to Walmart?
Aldi-Süd employees are surely better trained and somewhat happier than Lidl employees. But at least in Germany Lidl employees seem happier to me than employees at all other grocery chains (incl. Aldi-Nord). Just compare the Lidl employees with the employees at other German discount grocery chains like Netto or Penny. That are surely the worst treated employees in the German grocery retail industry. And the chains belong to Edeka or Rewe. The chains with the fancy upscale grocery stores.
Visiting Lidl stores and thinking it's regarding the employees similar to Walmart is absurd. The leadership of the employees is completely different. Lidl is the Walmart of Europe? Absurd nonsense. You can't run a small store discount grocery chain with low staffing successfully if the employees aren't motivated and well trained. Before you could make a valid statement about what retailer in Europe is most similar to Walmart you had to live in Europe for at least a few years. There are so many other large retailers in Europe that are in every aspect much more similar to Walmart than Lidl (just look at Real, Carrefour or Tesco).
Lidl operates in 27 European countries and in every country Lidl is quite distinct. Lidl also don't have a common slogan, that makes your whole point about similar slogans between Walmart and Lidl pretty absurd.

Of course I don't work for Lidl. If I would work in the grocery retail industry I would definitely prefer to work for Aldi-Süd.
I just want to correct misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Sorry, but I doubt that you have been to a Lidl store in Europe. I have the impression that your information is just from reports that you have found on the internet. There are reports about bad treatment of employees from all grocery chains. Does that mean that all grocery chains are similar to Walmart?
Aldi-Süd employees are surely better trained and somewhat happier than Lidl employees. But at least in Germany Lidl employees seem happier to me than employees at all other grocery chains (incl. Aldi-Nord). Just compare the Lidl employees with the employees at other German discount grocery chains like Netto or Penny. That are surely the worst treated employees in the German grocery retail industry. And the chains belong to Edeka or Rewe. The chains with the fancy upscale grocery stores.
Visiting Lidl stores and thinking it's regarding the employees similar to Walmart is absurd. The leadership of the employees is completely different. Lidl is the Walmart of Europe? Absurd nonsense. You can't run a small store discount grocery chain with low staffing successfully if the employees aren't motivated and well trained. Before you could make a valid statement about what retailer in Europe is most similar to Walmart you had to live in Europe for at least a few years. There are so many other large retailers in Europe that are in every aspect much more similar to Walmart than Lidl (just look at Real, Carrefour or Tesco).
Lidl operates in 27 European countries and in every country Lidl is quite distinct. Lidl also don't have a common slogan, that makes your whole point about similar slogans between Walmart and Lidl pretty absurd.

Of course I don't work for Lidl. If I would work in the grocery retail industry I would definitely prefer to work for Aldi-Süd.
I just want to correct misinformation.
"Lidl, which will start opening stores in the US in 2018, is like a cross between Walmart and Trader Joe's."
German store Lidl plans US expansion - Business Insider

It is obvious you are a corporate shill for LIDL and I am done responding to your nonsense.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:16 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't see LIDL as a good thing for Erie since it is just another discount store and Erie has plenty of dollar and discount stores already. I think Trader Joes would have been a better fit and it seems that LIDL just wants to be located in the West Erie Plaza because their main competitor ALDI is right down the street on 12th. I was previously optimistic about the West Erie Plaza, but now I am not too sure.
I don't know about that ... Competition is always good, no matter the store. It's hip to shop Aldi now, and that could spur Lidl to improve what it offers the way Aldi has improved its product line.

I agree that Trader Joe's would have been a better fit for the neighborhood, and for what the owners of the Plaza are hoping it will become. Trader Joe's also attracts stores with similar clientele.

For what it's worth, though, the Plaza may have had Halle's and Benson's and other more upscale (I hate that word!) shops, but it also had GC Murphy and a miniature golf course. Just to put things in perspective ...

Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Heck, if Erie landed a Trader Joe's we might just move there! Their wasabi seaweed snack is fabulous, and it's only $0.99!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't know about that ... Competition is always good, no matter the store. It's hip to shop Aldi now, and that could spur Lidl to improve what it offers the way Aldi has improved its product line.

I agree that Trader Joe's would have been a better fit for the neighborhood, and for what the owners of the Plaza are hoping it will become. Trader Joe's also attracts stores with similar clientele.

For what it's worth, though, the Plaza may have had Halle's and Benson's and other more upscale (I hate that word!) shops, but it also had GC Murphy and a miniature golf course. Just to put things in perspective ...
I agree that competition is good and as weird as it is having a Starbucks, Tim Hortons, and Dunkin Donuts on 12th St. very close to each other I kind of like having the options. To me the Iced Capp at Tim Hortons is very good, but I like the coffee and breakfast flatbreads at Dunkin better. Also, Starbucks seems to have better breads and cakes so I go to each place for a different thing. I am fine with the West Erie Plaza having a diverse group of businesses and I don't want the whole thing to be "upscale," but it is odd to me that they are replacing the ValuKing/Good Cents with another discount grocery store when it seems like those businesses as well as Gabes were forced out of the plaza because the plaza wanted to go more "upscale." I think the WEP owners had a vision of a more upscale plaza and when they were denied a Trader Joe's they just gave up the vision and now they are just trying to fill space. I hope the Lidl's that are built in the U.S. are different than those in Europe in a good way.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,181 times
Quote:
I hope the Lidl's that are built in the U.S. are different than those in Europe in a good way.
The Lidl stores in the U.S. will be similar to the new Lidl stores in Europe. Lidl call them "Future stores" or "Concept stores":

Here a picture of what a Lidl store in the U.S. will look like:

And a new Lidl store in Europe:

Here some glimpse into newer Lidl stores in Europe:

Lidl UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBN3xE_F1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDJ6xhnfyUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX60-Klwvb8

Lidl Lithuania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRsoDSCRqgY

Lidl Greece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb0vAphRkI

Just view the vids without listening to the PR jabbering.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 PM

486 posts, read 603,109 times
Two NEW restaurants are opening in the city of Erie soon:

-Voodoo Brewery will be opening it's downtown Erie location (in the Boston Store) on Sept. 17th and they will be open 7 days a week.

-Federal Hill Smokehouse, an independent barbeque restaurant, will open their doors the first week of October. They will be located at 2609 Peach Street in the midtown area.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Today it was announced that Jerry Uht Park, Erie's downtown baseball park, will be renamed to UPMC Park.

As the article states, this is UPMC's first go at naming rights in at a sports venue.

I personally like the name change, as it has a more professional sound to it. It also goes well with the next door Erie Insurance Arena.

Here's the article: Erie's Jerry Uht Park becomes UPMC Park - GoErie.com - Erie, PA

Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM

MORE GREAT NEWS!

The Warner Theatre's long-delayed expansion plan is now going to start moving forward.' The surface lot behind the theatre at 9th and French St. was purchased and will be the site of the expansion which will include extending the stage and adding additional dressing rooms and loading docks.

This project will also get rid of a very underutilized parking lot in downtown as well as add some density. The expansion could be completed as early as fall of 2018.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM

More news...

-Iron Empire Clothing, a local clothing retailer, has opened a new store in downtown Erie at 163 W. 14th Street in the Union Station depot. Great to see downtown getting some more retail.

-A new restaurant is going in the space where Bertrand's was. It's going to be called Alkeme, and will focus on Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. I'm hoping it will be successful as downtown does not have an Italian restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania