Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing.
My job is in rural Erie County and 'First Day of Deer Season' is listed as a company holiday for our location. One year we tried to run the factory and office on that day but maybe 15 people out of 225 showed up for work. It was very comical trying to explain to our corporate office which is based near NYC exactly why nobody they needed to reach was at work that day.

Most of the shops in the rural area that I work in have the first day of deer season off.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My job is in rural Erie County and 'First Day of Deer Season' is listed as a company holiday for our location. One year we tried to run the factory and office on that day but maybe 15 people out of 225 showed up for work. It was very comical trying to explain to our corporate office which is based near NYC exactly why nobody they needed to reach was at work that day.

Most of the shops in the rural area that I work in have the first day of deer season off.
"Yes Mr. Boss, this is an official holiday." I'm laughing thinking about that.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

The "Appalachian redneck hillbilly hick" stereotype doesn't really fit the anthracite region of Northeast Pennsylvania either.

Just a bunch of hicks here in the Wyoming Valley.

Scranton had electric lights before Philly by about a year and first in the nation with electric street cars. I wouldn't be surprised if other infrastructure exceeded other areas at the time either. My Grandparents bought a home in West Pittston sometime in the 30's that was built in late 1800's or early 1900's. During renovation we were finding gas lines in the walls from when it was originally built, it was for lighting and that gas would of been from the street.

HBO was first available in Wilkes-Barre, cable TV itself also got started in NEPA. There was appliance guy trying to sell TV's in Mahanoy City. Nobody was buying his TV's because they couldn't get reception due to the distance from TV stations and the geography. He set up an antennae on a mountain and ran cable to homes.... so he could sell TV's. If I recall correctly he was giving the service away free if you bought the TV from him. The irony is many rural areas do not have access to cable TV despite it's beginnings there.

Of course there are other things. Mr Peanut and Joe Palooka are Wilkes-Barre natives. Just and FYI but it's pronounced "Barry" or "Berry". Love the radio/TV ads when they pronounce it "Bar".

Old 05-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
It does, or did. The schools closed on the first day of deer season.

I'm not sure that equates to Redneck, PA has very long history of hunting traditions across the entire state. In part that is due to the State Game lands that allow anyone to hunt. The hunters I know cover a wide range of backgrounds.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:37 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not sure that equates to Redneck, PA has very long history of hunting traditions across the entire state. In part that is due to the State Game lands that allow anyone to hunt. The hunters I know cover a wide range of backgrounds.
That's what I was thinking too. A doctor who who worked at the 1st hospital I did hunted woodchucks for food.

A red neck doctor? guess so.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:22 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That's what I was thinking too. A doctor who who worked at the 1st hospital I did hunted woodchucks for food.

A red neck doctor? guess so.
I think it's actually quite an enlightened lifestyle. Much greener than simply relying on factory farms for food. And wiser than that certain type of city folk who think food comes from "the supermarket".

Old 05-19-2020, 11:00 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I think that you have to be able to check ten items on the redneck list to qualify.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:28 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
JScranton had electric lights before Philly by about a year and first in the nation with electric street cars. I wouldn't be surprised if other infrastructure exceeded other areas at the time either.
I'm a big ol' traingeek (subspecialty: "traction" [electric street railways and subways]), so I'm somewhat familiar with the history of the "Electric City" and its hometown railroad.

The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western was one of the first companies in the United States to create a "spokescharacter" for its operations: Phoebe Snow, the young woman whose "gown stayed white / from morn 'til night / upon the road of Anthracite."

While its rivals, from the mighty Pennsylvania to the coal-carrying Reading on down, used softer, sootier bituminous coal to fuel their locomotives, the Lackawanna used the hard, nearly soot-free anthracite coal that was mined in the region around its home base.

I'm sure you know the 1970s pop singer whose one big hit was "Poetry Man." She adopted the Lackawanna's iconic character's name for her stage name.

The Lackawanna was one of the best-engineered railroads in the country. It also played a major role in getting New Jersey suburbanites to their jobs in New York City through commuter trains that converged on its magnificent 1907 terminal in Hoboken. Like the Reading did, the Lackawanna decided in the early 1930s that a more efficient way to burn that coal would be to use it to generate electricity to power its commuter train network.

But I see I'm less familiar with what gave the city that nickname: it wasn't the first in the nation to run an electric streetcar (that was Cleveland, where an electric streetcar ran for one year in 1884-85), but it was the first to open and operate an entire electric streetcar network, in 1886.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:34 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
HBO was first available in Wilkes-Barre, cable TV itself also got started in NEPA. There was appliance guy trying to sell TV's in Mahanoy City. Nobody was buying his TV's because they couldn't get reception due to the distance from TV stations and the geography. He set up an antennae on a mountain and ran cable to homes.... so he could sell TV's. If I recall correctly he was giving the service away free if you bought the TV from him. The irony is many rural areas do not have access to cable TV despite it's beginnings there.
That's why underground cable-TV junction boxes have the initials "CATV" on them: cable was originally called "community antenna television."

Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think that you have to be able to check ten items on the redneck list to qualify.

I can check a few off, I'll tell you one of my better "Redneck" stories. My friends and I used to do some long canoe trips on the river. This was just three dayer, just three of us and we were near Towanda. We had stopped for the night and were sitting near the river with small fire, the cooler and fishing. My buddy catches a smallmouth and just happens to have everything he needed to cook the fish. None of us even stood up. Filleted right there, wrapped in tin foil and butter with seasoning, cooked it and ate it. How is that for fresh fish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania