Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You make completely valid points, but I think there are even more nuances in rural PA as compared to the interior South (clearly, Central PA has absolutely nothing in common with the lowland and coastal South, due to many factors like vastly different topography, history, industry, religion and racial composition).

Although it is indeed true that many Scots-Irish settled in PA and then made their way through Southern Appalachia, there are still other ethnic groups (i.e., Italians and Eastern Europeans) that can actually be found in enclaves all over Pennsylvania.

Religiously, there's far more of a Catholic adherence across Pennsylvania, in addition to far more "mainline" Protestant denominations, Jewish enclaves and, of course, Quaker roots, that are all almost foreign across the South.

There are also many more traditionally urban and post-industrial small cities and towns with a very dense built environment across even rural Pennsylvania that contrast completely with any state to the south of Pennsylvania, which allowed the state to develop such a large population and political influence so early on in the nation's history.

Even governmentally, Pennsylvania has a strong local government tradition, which has provided it with more fiefdoms than almost any other state in the US excepting Illinois (in addition to one of the few "professionalized" full-time legislatures, which is also basically unheard of in the South). Compare this to the strong county government model of every Southern state, and you quickly begin to see how even the political structure and culture in the South is very different.
I don't necessarily disagree with all that - my first thought when mentioning "mainly Pennsylvania Dutch" was the influences on speech. Having grown up in central PA, I'm very familiar with certain terms which came from them, which you likely won't hear in the south.

Italians mostly settled in urban areas, and while some may have moved into rural areas later on (I myself have Italian ancestry but grew up in central PA), I don't think they had any impact on the dialect (people in rural PA don't refer to pasta sauce as "gravy" for example, like many Italian-Americans in urban areas still do).

Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with all that - my first thought when mentioning "mainly Pennsylvania Dutch" was the influences on speech. Having grown up in central PA, I'm very familiar with certain terms which came from them, which you likely won't hear in the south.

Italians mostly settled in urban areas, and while some may have moved into rural areas later on (I myself have Italian ancestry but grew up in central PA), I don't think they had any impact on the dialect (people in rural PA don't refer to pasta sauce as "gravy" for example, like many Italian-Americans in urban areas still do).
Plenty of Italians settled in Northumberland County in the Coal Regions mainly, right off of the boat via Ellis Island. I also never heard the word Gravy used for Sauce. Accents and words, well you use to be able to hear it in Snyder County, I heard distinct differences between Northumberland and Snyder County.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Plenty of Italians settled in Northumberland County in the Coal Regions mainly, right off of the boat via Ellis Island. I also never heard the word Gravy used for Sauce. Accents and words, well you use to be able to hear it in Snyder County, I heard distinct differences between Northumberland and Snyder County.

NYC/New Jersey thing.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
NYC/New Jersey thing.
Not necessarily. I heard it from all of my Italian friends in my Philly suburb. They all called sauce "gravy."

Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
That doesn't surprise me since the coal mines would have brought in immigrant laborers. But as someone else was saying, central to western PA is really more like the areas we're talking about.

As for Gravy vs Sauce, not all Italian-Americans use it, especially these days, it's dying out.

The Eternal Italian American Debate: ‘Gravy’ or ‘Sauce’ | Bostoniano.info

Old 01-20-2016, 08:02 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not necessarily. I heard it from all of my Italian friends in my Philly suburb. They all called sauce "gravy."
I agree. When we lived in Delaware county I met quite a few people with an Italian background, who themselves grew up in Philly, that called pasta sauce gravy.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:17 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The 1920 Census included questions of ethnicity which were later used to establish the quota system, which would rule for the next forty years; German descendants, rather than English, Scotch or Irish, were found to be greatest in numbers for the nation as a whole, and the disparity was even more pronounced in Pennsylvania. From Colonial times until the 1850's many state documents had to be printed in German as well as English. So much for those who are easily upset by bilingualism.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That doesn't surprise me since the coal mines would have brought in immigrant laborers. But as someone else was saying, central to western PA is really more like the areas we're talking about.

As for Gravy vs Sauce, not all Italian-Americans use it, especially these days, it's dying out.

The Eternal Italian American Debate: ‘Gravy’ or ‘Sauce’ | Bostoniano.info
Northumberland County is Central PA, but maybe your Central PA is different from mine?

It's good it's dying out because ask any Italian what Gravy is and they will look at you like a deer in headlights lol, it's purely an American concoction.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
NYC/New Jersey thing.
Yes, I know. I knew actual Italians from Italy, they called sauce "Salsa" or "Sugo".

Old 01-21-2016, 01:06 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Not even close. PA is pretty conservative. Without Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, it would be a red state. Scranton and Erie aren't big enough liberal areas to counteract the rest of the state.
I agree. Not sure where anyone gets the idea that PA is liberal. I'm from Johnstown. There are a lot of socially conservative liberals there who probably vote Republican these days.

And I've heard Pennsyltucky used for anything outside Pittsburgh and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania