Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,727,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Ask Right on Walnut he make the declaration - "Philadelphia is booming", "Pittsburgh is just standing still"

He said it, I didn't ... So if you take his words, and this picture ... the difference between "Booming" and "Standing Still" is a mere 4 projects. Now I've learned never to trust RoW figures because he distorts and basically lies in order to prop up Philly. But I just found this extra particular because it only has the cities separated by 4 projects in all of 2016.

He couldn't have been talking about Population Growth, because Philly's growth is not what you would call "Booming" by any stretch of the imagination.
I would like to see these 70 construction projects they're talking about in Pittsburgh. Where are they? What are they? What is your source?

You provided no information. You posted a photo of something that claimed Pittsburgh has 70 construction projects going on. I'm sorry but I find that number extremely hard to believe.

And correct... population wise Philadelphia is growing slowly and Pittsburgh is in full blown decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,972,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I would like to see these 70 construction projects they're talking about in Pittsburgh. Where are they? What are they? What is your source?

You provided no information. You posted a photo of something that claimed Pittsburgh has 70 construction projects going on. I'm sorry but I find that number extremely hard to believe.

And correct... population wise Philadelphia is growing slowly and Pittsburgh is in full blown decline.
Pittsburgh the city is not in full blown decline. Full blown decline would be 1988 Pittsburgh. This is 2016 and the "city" is stable. Not sure of what can be done for the river valley former industrial satellite cities. The outlying counties will continue to shrink and Pittsburgh's growth will remain stagnant for some time. The only thing Pittsburgh can do is continue to do what we have done for decades now. Slow and steady growth in areas that matter while historically preserving the core.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,930,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post

This post right here is why you are a booster.

You are exactly the same as Blackbeauty.

And as for the 70 projects, Google is your friend. There are easily 70, and I'm not claiming it's more or equal to a city more than twice it's size, but come on. You look up a billion sources for Philadelphia projects but a quick Google search for Pittsburghs projects is out of reach?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
This post right here is why you are a booster.

You are exactly the same as Blackbeauty.

And as for the 70 projects, Google is your friend. There are easily 70, and I'm not claiming it's more or equal to a city more than twice it's size, but come on. You look up a billion sources for Philadelphia projects but a quick Google search for Pittsburghs projects is out of reach?
I am still trying to overcome the "full blown" decline comment???

There are easily 70 projects in Pittsburgh. I think ROW only focuses on skyscraper development and not inner city infill and connectivity.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am still trying to overcome the "full blown" decline comment???

There are easily 70 projects in Pittsburgh. I think ROW only focuses on skyscraper development and not inner city infill and connectivity.
It's absurd to be honest. ALMONO, 350 Oliver, Carrie furnace, Lower Hill redevelopment, station square development, edli, COUNTLESS mid size projects in Lawrenceville, one grandview, South side works, garden theatre, 3 crossings, literally half of the strip district, Empire 7, skyvue, 3406 forbes, CMUs 2 major projects, bakery square, hunt armory, ubers test track,.... you have to blind to not think the amount of development in the city of Pittsburgh isn't at least 70 projects.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,542,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
It's absurd to be honest. ALMONO, 350 Oliver, Carrie furnace, Lower Hill redevelopment, station square development, edli, COUNTLESS mid size projects in Lawrenceville, one grandview, South side works, garden theatre, 3 crossings, literally half of the strip district, Empire 7, skyvue, 3406 forbes, CMUs 2 major projects, bakery square, hunt armory, ubers test track,.... you have to blind to not think the amount of development in the city of Pittsburgh isn't at least 70 projects.
I think it's more a question of this: if Pittsburgh had 70 and Philadelphia had 74, is it really a good apples to apples comparison.

No offense, because there is tons of stuff going around Pitt, but I highly doubt there's a 6% difference.

I could probably post a dozen Projects in philly that would be absolutely transformative for Pittsburgh but just take a back seat to the new flashy office towers.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think it's more a question of this: if Pittsburgh had 70 and Philadelphia had 74, is it really a good apples to apples comparison.

No offense, because there is tons of stuff going around Pitt, but I highly doubt there's a 6% difference.

I could probably post a dozen Projects in philly that would be absolutely transformative for Pittsburgh but just take a back seat to the new flashy office towers.
No offense taken.

Not sure if the post was referring to city proper or the metro. Either way 70 projects is not improbable. Pittsburgh has major bridge construction going on at the moment. We also have major infrastructure projects going on with the locks and dams, brownfield redevelopment, infill. The brownfield redevelopment require sewer lines, roads, and lighting. These sites also require green infrastructure like rain gardens and catch basins that recycle the water instead of overwhelming our waste water system.

Last edited by wpipkins2; 03-28-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,285,180 times
I think a more realistic comparison might be the total investment in development between cities.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Proposal Would Put Hollywood-Style Pittsburgh Sign On Mt. Washington « CBS Pittsburgh

Nice shot of home

Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM

14,290 posts, read 9,167,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
They must go by increases of % in population? Though the Loop is Chicago's traditional downtown. Its more neighborhoods then that today. The article says the Loop had a 21% growth since 2012. True, but overall was in the other neighborhoods of downtown, with the Loop now hot in residential growth too.

The Loop once just a few decades ago. Had virtually no residents. So that is a factor to. Philly ALWAYS had residents and perhaps the overall gains then not as great as always a good population was there? Just gentrification changes the demographics. But it did list Pittsburgh at #1. So kudos to it.
Very relevant point here:

Growth is always relative to a baseline.

Let's say we have two cities, City A and City B.

Projects are under way in both cities that will add S square feet of commercial space and H housing units total to the local stock of residential and commercial real estate in the next 12 months.

But City A currently has X square feet of commercial space and Y housing units, while City B has 2X and 2Y, respectively.

City A will therefore be growing at twice the rate of City B, even though the same level of construction activity will take place in both in the coming year.

Philadelphia's downtown has for some time now had the third-highest number of residents of any U.S. central business district, behind only New York and Chicago. We may have passed Chicago on that metric, especially as that city's population growth faltered last year according to the latest estimates. But since Pittsburgh is starting from a downtown population base of near zero, any growth there will be explosive.

It's all good regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania