Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times

Advertisements

This thread has piqued my interest in Oil city. I would love to see pix of the downtown area and schools. Maybe a few churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,434 times
hi man, i emailed you before. dude, just go to myspace and find someone from oil city, have them snap pictures and email them to you. thanks. you'll be fine, just be prepared for a major slow down or change of pace from west palm beach. my friend lived there for a few years and he didnt mind it, if it's just you you'll be fine. try contacting someone and get on a rental program, with a rent-to-own option, no one will complain about that and if you dont like it you wont be stuck with a home you dont want.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,434 times
the homes are probably very sturdy, many are older have 'french doors' and so forth, but they are older than some other homes. many are 100+ years old. they might need minor things like new carprt, new paint, etc. some places dont have electric in all areas and stuff like that. think of your grandparents home when you were little.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
Quote:
some places dont have electric in all areas and stuff like that
They have electricity,although alot are heated by natural gas.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Doesnt your sister live in Oil city? Can she take a few pictures, email them to you and you can post them here? I would love a preview of what Oil city looks like

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 AM

I could but no promises of how long it would take,I'm still waiting for her to send me pictures from christmas of 2005.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Default Cheap is not always good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Well, I agree with you on the "FL is hot, get over it" thing, but I gotta disagree with you here! Don't know what part of the country you're in, but there ARE places - specifically SD, ND, & KS to name a few, where houses are cheap, taxes are low, & the towns are small, friendly & safe! (Right Jammie? ) To some "city-folk", they don't have anything "going on", but to those like me, that's a GOOD thing!
Why don't I live there you ask? Probably why alot of people don't: (thus it being so cheap)
It's COLD & there are no jobs! But for NAH, he wants cold (well, not THAT cold ) & is self employed. So those are good places for warm blooded retirees & warm blooded self employed people.

Mystree - you must be a long lost cousin of mine too! (Like Shedav & Pianogal! )
I just left SD, there was nothing cheap about the property taxes. SD has no state income tax, they place the burden on the property owners. My 3 bedroom house was 156k. If you are buying a cheap house in SD you are living in the middle of now where with limited technology, get used to dial up! Don't get me wrong SD is a great place to live and most of the locals are very friendly.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Here are a few links for some bad pictures.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~pavenang/oilcity1.htm (broken link)

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...e=PA&submit=go

Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 AM

lol...thats what you call bad pictures,The first link doesn't work.
The second one shows a tree on someones house,a couple rain storms and a few pictures of flowers.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,680 times
NTMale37 has pretty much hit the nail on the head on everything about Oil City I have lived in Oil City all my life, my whole family if pretty much here. The people are decent and if you find the right people you will find friends for life and hopefully they will have good idea of things to do becasue THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do in Oil City! I have 2 small children and finding them things to do is one thing but as an adult if you drink... well then you'll be in heaven becasue on every corner is a bar and im not kidding about that. also if you are looking for a church to attend then you shouldnt have a problem becasue we have many churches to choose from.
as far as nice area's I would definitly do your homework on that becasue you dont want to get a bad neiborhood and if your not careful you can very easily fall into one, if your looking for a Real Estate Comp. to help you find a home I recomend "Venango Real Estate" Ask for Barb shes a very nice person and Im sure she can help you with the area's and everything. she to has lived here all her life.
The Victorian houses are wonderful if your looking for a project becase alot of them need TLC but if you have the drive, $$ and time they can be an awsome project my mother and her boyfriend are finishing up with a victorian and its amazing what can be done to a home.
Good luck in your search for a new home and if you do choose to relocate here I hope you love it.
oh and I know that alot of people talk down about Oil City but there are a few of us that are trying to fix it up.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania