Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 34,279 times

Advertisements

I have not been to Erie, but I have been trying to get as much research as I can. As you see I am looking to buy a home in Erie, Pa and I was looking forward to buying it in the east side of Erie because it’s the most affordable area. I have herd about it being a very bad neighborhood. I have seen that there is a high crime rate as well. What contradicts this is that in fact its crime rate is only 10% for all of Pennsylvania. I lived all my life in Brooklyn New York and some might even say it's bad there. One thing the cost of living in NY is to much. I would appreciate some information on the area. How is the job market? Where should I stay totally away from? IE; Projects and drug rehabs etc. . I will be looking for a home in April. Its my wife and two kids 12 and 8. So schools are important as well. I don't have a whole lot of money. So the west side is not an option. YET! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 PM

13 posts, read 51,103 times
Anything above 26th street in Erie on the east side of town is much better than living below it. With that said, I lived in Erie all my life up until 2006 and have biked, walked and drove all the so called bad areas with n problems at all. Take anything you hear about Erie in a relative manor, especially when it comes to crime and traffic. When I left there were a lot of beautiful affordable places available on the west side of town, so don't rule it out. At the same time don't rule out all of the east side as bad.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

13 posts, read 51,103 times
Anything above 26th street in Erie on the east side of town is much better than living below it. With that said, I lived in Erie all my life up until 2006 and have biked, walked and drove all the so called bad areas with n problems at all. Take anything you hear about Erie in a relative manor, especially when it comes to crime and traffic. When I left there were a lot of beautiful affordable places available on the west side of town, so don't rule it out. At the same time don't rule out all of the east side as bad.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 34,279 times
I should be there in April so I will take a look above 26th street first. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,683 times
Default moving from NY to Erie

I grew up in Erie, you will love it there. we are currently living in Long Island so I completely understand the move. the commute and taxes here are terrible.
quick questions: do you have a job lined up yet? that might be helpful to know before deciding on an area, especially w/ the cost of gas these days. there are inexpensive areas on the west side of erie to live in, please don't rule that out. I would also suggest above 26th street on the east side (try to get above 30th if possible. there are a few good schools up that way but go visit them as well. compared to NY you will find the crime lower. there are tons of things to do there as well. what price range are you looking in, if you don't mind me asking. also: have you considered renting first and then buying. that way you can get a feel for what area you like w/o being rushed. there are tons of houses and apartments for rent.
if you have any questions, feel free to email me. good luck in erie!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
I grew up in Cranesville, its about 20 min west of erie. i COMPLETELY recommend looking at the surrounding cities. Northeast, Fairview, Edinboro, Springfield, Albion. Edinboro has the best public school there, despite what anyone says about anything else, i grad highschool in 04 and General McLean is the best they have so much opportunity there. I really recommend looking above 30th or even 38th. I had alot of friends in erie, and if you are planning on city living, i would either go with the west side (around sterrettania) Or far east like around wesleyville. As far as jobs, many of them are min wage and minimal room for promotion. but if you have a degree or are specialized you should be fine, i recommend finding a SET job before moving, if you havent yet...
Good Luck

OH AND ENJOY THE SNOW!!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 28,985 times
Hey there, we're moving from Long Island, having grown up in Queens, to Erie in April as well. The neighborhoods that have had a Long Island Feel to them have been Fairview & Mill Creek. Frontier in the city has a Whitestone/Bayside kind of feel to it...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Make sure you have a job before you move to Erie. It is very difficult to get a decent job here if you don't have something solid before you arrive.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:17 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times
If you've lived all your life in Brooklyn, NY, Erie will probably seem like a small town to you. Traffic, crime, and cost of living are non-issues compared to NYC.

The main thing to be aware of is that we get TONS of snow. You will definitely have to drive in it too, since school/work is rarely called off unless we get well over a foot. It's also very cloudy in winter, it's rare to see the sun at all from November through February. Seasonal affective disorder can be a problem for some people.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
Default Moving to Erie

Whatever your reason for moving to Erie, be aware that the average winter brings 100+ inches of snow and frequent gales. Of course it's not a total whiteout; the snow melts and reappears with regularity. Everything pops in the spring, and summertime is beautiful; warm humid days, fresh air off the lake, cool nights. The country is only five minutes away

We're about to retire to Erie from Maryland with this knowledge and are prepared to deal with the winter. Electricity costs exactly one half and natural gas about 20% less than in Maryland and probably your area too. Erie property and school taxes are high although the city is holding the line for 2008. A nice mall plus all the regular stores on upper Peach Street, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sams, etc.

There are very reasonably priced homes and nice neighborhoods everywhere. Other advice here on the bulletin board is correct. Welcome to Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania