Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times

Advertisements

The new proposed map is light years better. The GOP deserves credit for finally cooperating and giving it a good faith effort.

I will say, though, that Montgomery County, the state's largest suburban Democratic stronghold, is still carved into four different districts, which appears to be the most of any county. I don't think that's an accident (the GOP is obviously going to try to preserve some of their competitiveness to the extent possible).

There should be at least some more effort to simplify the boundaries in MontCo. At least reducing the number of districts in the county from 4 to 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
yuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
The legislature passed a new map. Now they're waiting on Govenor Wolf. What are people's thoughts on it?

GOP lawmakers release proposed new congressional map - The Morning Call
The legislature did not pass this map. The Republican heads of the state House/Senate submitted it as a proposal to Wolf. Technically this is in violation of what the Court demanded.

In general, the Republicans triaged their open seats in the 7th and 15th districts, making both into seats the Dems will pick up this cycle. They went out of their way to create a still Republican seat for Costello. The 17th becomes much more Republican. They also move Conor Lamb into the 14th to shore up the 18th for Saccone.

Most of the remaining tortured lines are for parochial reasons though. This is an incumbent protection gerrymander.

Last edited by eschaton; 02-10-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Hmm.. definitely an improvement over the old map. I would like to know what metrics they used, there still seems to be lots of cutting IMO. Definitely more cohesive though. The old map was absolute TRASH.

The goal here is to have NO PARTISANSHIP from either party with these maps. And in reality they should be drawn so they are not a shoe in for either party, but competitive races. This is how we bring out the GREATEST AND MOST POSITIVE POLICIES.

When we have seats that are shoe ins for either party. Harrisburg DOES NOTHING. And neither does D.C.
I noticed that it looks way better too. Some cutting though counties is necessary though I think (especially ones like Philadelphia) to keep them less partisan than what it would be if they kept the lines within one county. Some districts look like that they would be much more competitive (the PA 12th in suburban Pittsburgh for example), but pretty hard to say without having some numbers around.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In general, the Republicans triaged their open seats in the 7th and 15th districts, making both into seats the Dems will pick up this cycle. They went out of their way to create a stop Republican seat for Costello. The 17th becomes much more Republican. They also move Conor Lamb into the 14th to shore up the 18th for Saccone.
I thought I noticed that too about Conor Lamb. The courts might use that as enough cause to not allow them to use this new map.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 AM

199 posts, read 141,343 times
I think compactness and not taking county/municipal boundaries into consideration was the only thing the lawsuit was about.

There seems to be three different complaints about gerrymandering:
1) Districts should be competitive
2) Districts should keep counties, municipalities, economic regions, and cultural regions together as much as possible
3) The district shouldn't look like they got the idea for the shape from looking at a piece of seaweed floating in the ocean.

The far eastern ones look like sure democrat wins. Maybe they did that on purpose in the hopes that they'll go off, do their own thing, and eventually join New Jersey.

Last edited by jate88; 02-10-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
And in reality they should be drawn so they are not a shoe in for either party, but competitive races..
You would end up with just as crazy looking maps as the ones that got thrashed. Political affiliation of who lives in an area should not be a consideration.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
I'm a Republican, but I like the new proposed map much better. It seems to make an effort to follow the county administrative boundaries. I can see some practical advantages that as well (Congressmen will be representing the entire county, in most instances).

Old 02-10-2018, 06:20 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
yuh

The legislature did not pass this map. The Republican heads of the state House/Senate submitted it as a proposal to Wolf. Technically this is in violation of what the Court demanded.

In general, the Republicans triaged their open seats in the 7th and 15th districts, making both into seats the Dems will pick up this cycle. They went out of their way to create a still Republican seat for Costello. The 17th becomes much more Republican. They also move Conor Lamb into the 14th to shore up the 18th for Saccone.

Most of the remaining tortured lines are for parochial reasons though. This is an incumbent protection gerrymander.
Uh, yeah, it's going to be like that to some extent. Republicans control the legislature, so they have that advantage in this process. I think they did a good job of keeping the districts more compact, and most lines are along administrative boundaries.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Uh, yeah, it's going to be like that to some extent. Republicans control the legislature, so they have that advantage in this process. I think they did a good job of keeping the districts more compact, and most lines are along administrative boundaries.
They do have that advantage to a point. They do, however need to come up with a map that Wolf will not veto and this certainly isn't that. While neater than the old map, continuing to push the 6th further into more rural sections of Berks in order to keep Reading out is still a gerrymander.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Tom Wolf has rejected the map. Rightfully so, IMHO. The map was certainly marginally better (both in terms of aesthetics and having more competitive seats) but it didn't actually comply with the Supreme Court ruling.

In the next two days, we get to see if the Republicans will try and propose a "plan C" map to get Tom Wolf's approval. Most likely, they're going to push another frivolous challenge to the Supreme Court and get shot down.

The Court-drawn map is likely already being perfected by the outside experts they are consulting with. It will be unveiled to the public next Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania