Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 02:07 PM

11 posts, read 41,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Not to burst your bubble but lets not get carried away here. Bucks County is not even the best county in metro Philly. In fact its #4 in terms of wealth of the 4 suburban counties behind Chester,Montgomery and Delaware counties.

Dont get me wrong its a great place to live but you have to know your place.
People are trying to get out of DELCO not in it. DELCO was once what all these other counties are or soon to be. Delco is a toilet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Admit it, you just don't have a firm grasp on the region do you?

Montgomery County is hands down the best county in the region, followed by Chester, Delaware(which would be #1 if not for the dense urban towns bordering west Philly) and then Bucks.

Without the commerce of Montgomery,Chester, and Delaware Counties this region isn't even on the map.

Open land policy(Bucks County) doesn't make a region great, Bucks County to me could be considered part of the Lehigh Valley as it takes on that type of characteristic. Easiest access to NYC doesn't add to the the quality of life, and I can get to the Beach an hour quicker from Media than you can from Doylestown

I suggest you pay a visit to Delaware County and tell me how poor it is. Take a visit through Villanova,Haverford,Radnor,Chadds Ford,Thornbury,Glen Mills,Newtown Square,Media,Springfield,Ridley park,Rose Valley,Havertown,Upper Providence,Swarthmore,Garnet Valley,Concord,Middletown,Nether Providence. These towns are what Bucks County will strive to become 100 years from now.

There is a reason that Delaware County is maxed out and Bucks County is 80% undeveloped.

Bucks is a nice place but its pulling up the rear of the 4 Philadelphia suburban counties.
Who would want another DELCO? Seriously, that's an old outdated platform to work from.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM

35 posts, read 78,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasscountry View Post
People are trying to get out of DELCO not in it. DELCO was once what all these other counties are or soon to be. Delco is a toilet.
What solar system are you visiting from?

Delaware County has 5 of the top 10 wealthiest zip codes in the state.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx2112 View Post
What solar system are you visiting from?

Delaware County has 5 of the top 10 wealthiest zip codes in the state.
That's about all it has. After the Main Line you've got "Lower Delaware County".

Let's be honest. It's not a bad place to live, but it's known more for it's Upper Darby's, Chichester's, Astons and Clifton Heights than it is for it's Main Line connection. Besides the Main Line has an identity unto itself. Delco needs it more than it needs Delco. JMHO

Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,709 times
Default may I interject?

brainrock, how conveniently you leave out all the other Delaware County areas like Chester, Marcus Hook, Upper Darby, Yeadon, etc. There are no places like this in Bucks County. But hey, it's your perogative if you enjoy waking up in the morning to smell the pungent odors of the Sunoco refinery in Delaware County. Or the sweet sounds of gunshots in Chester. Schools also must not be great in Delaware County since you can't understand the difference between opinion and fact. It was my *opinion* that Bucks County is the premier place to live in Eastern PA. It's also my opinion that most of Delaware County is a shathole.

Here is my opinion again: Bucks County has the best quality of life to be found in the Greater Philadelphia metro. I would follow this by saying Chester County is a close second. Why? I value open space, country living, small thriving towns, proximity to NYC when I want to go to the big city, less traffic, and of course, the beautiful Delaware River (you know, the section of the Delaware River that doesn't have giant airports and oil refineries....)

The fact that you compare the Lehigh Valley to Bucks County just goes to show how little you know about the area.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasscountry View Post
That's about all it has. After the Main Line you've got "Lower Delaware County".

Let's be honest. It's not a bad place to live, but it's known more for it's Upper Darby's, Chichester's, Astons and Clifton Heights than it is for it's Main Line connection. Besides the Main Line has an identity unto itself. Delco needs it more than it needs Delco. JMHO
Guys whats wrong with you?

Have you ever made it past Glenolden? Theres another 4/5th of Delaware County to the west and its all high end. I put a disclaimer by saying the industrial towns have turned into a bit of a liability but the other 4/5th of pure magnificience of Delaware county easily surpasses Bucks County. Aston and Upper Chichester are solid middle class towns with the average houses in Aston averaging close to $300 K. The Mainline influence is only about 5% of Delaware County. You guys are completely overlooking the guts of Delaware County:

Towns like Dexel Hill,Springfield, Ridley Park, Swarthmore,Wallingford,Rose Valley,Middletown,Nether Providence, Media, Upper Providence,Marple, NewtownSquare,Springton,RoseTree,Havertown,Ardmore ,Haverford,Villanova,Radnor,Glen Mills, Thornbury,Concord,Bethel,Chadds Ford. Delaware County blows the headlights off of Bucks County.

You guys are either delusional or simply don't have a clue concerning Delaware County.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Head View Post
Schools also must not be great in Delaware County since you can't understand the difference between opinion and fact. It was my *opinion* that Bucks County is the premier place to live in Eastern PA. It's also my opinion that most of Delaware County is a shathole.
First of all your opinion is dead wrong. Chester is 4 sq. miles in a county that spreads 160 sq. miles. Add the West Philly border towns and industrial towns heading down to wilmington and maybe maybe 25 sq. miles out of 160 sq. miles would be considered working class/distressed. That leaves 135 sq miles of middle class, upper middle class, and wealthy.

Pick an innocuous middle of the road Delaware county town, lets say Drexel Hill. This would be the crowning jewel of Bucks County. The architecture of the housing in Drexel Hill just does not exist in Bucks County.Back in the day, when the bankers, doctors, and lawyers worked in Philadlephia they lived and built up great communities in Delaware County. Landsdowne probably has a better collection of architecture than the entire county of Bucks.

Secondly how is this an opinion? Busting in on an internet message board with this proclamation. How does this calculate as an opinion? This isn't an opinion, this is some sort of Tarzan chest thumping routine, e.g. my boat is bigger than your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Head
Hands down, Bucks County is the premiere place to live in all of Eastern Pennsylvania.

You got called to task and took a terse butt whipping, hopefully you will learn from the experience.

You started the flaming but you can't finish it because you have no clue what in the hell you are talking about. You are attempting to compare a county that has been developed for 200 years to a pasture. While Delaware County was chipping in feverishly to put this region on the map, Bucks County was a barren wasteland. There is no battle here, you have no bullets, wave the white flag.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,709 times
Brainrock, are you high? Taken directly from the Bucks County Website: "Founded in 1692 by William Penn, Bucks County has had a long and distinguished history. Penn named the county after Buckinghamshire, the Penn family home in England." I would say that 1692 is quite a bit more than 200 years. Architecture? Have you been to downtown Newtown, Doylestown, Quakertown, New Hope, or Yardley? Apparently not.

Since when does the age of initial development have anything to do with the quality of life? Certainly, Philadelphia was developed long before all of these areas, but I prefer the QOL in Bucks to anywhere else in the Greater Philadelphia Area.

Since brainrock obviously isn't too sharp, how about a lesson that I learned in 4th grade. The difference between a fact and an opinion. An opinion: Hands down, Bucks County is the premiere place to live in all of Eastern Pennsylvania. A fact: Bucks County is a county in Pennsylvania. Finish up grade school and then try to have an argument with me.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Guys whats wrong with you?

Have you ever made it past Glenolden? Theres another 4/5th of Delaware County to the west and its all high end. I put a disclaimer by saying the industrial towns have turned into a bit of a liability but the other 4/5th of pure magnificience of Delaware county easily surpasses Bucks County. Aston and Upper Chichester are solid middle class towns with the average houses in Aston averaging close to $300 K. The Mainline influence is only about 5% of Delaware County. You guys are completely overlooking the guts of Delaware County:

Towns like Dexel Hill,Springfield, Ridley Park, Swarthmore,Wallingford,Rose Valley,Middletown,Nether Providence, Media, Upper Providence,Marple, NewtownSquare,Springton,RoseTree,Havertown,Ardmore ,Haverford,Villanova,Radnor,Glen Mills, Thornbury,Concord,Bethel,Chadds Ford. Delaware County blows the headlights off of Bucks County.

You guys are either delusional or simply don't have a clue concerning Delaware County.
No we've just been outside of Delaware county and it doesn't appear you have. I think you would be surprised to find that our attitudes towards DELCO are not that uncommon.

All BS aside, every time I talk to someone who has to go there for whatever or just came from there ........they usually say something negative or just roll thier eyes. It's not a bad place. However, it is a stepchild in comparison to the areas other offerings.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
It was my *opinion* that Bucks County is the premier place to live in Eastern PA. It's also my opinion that most of Delaware County is a shathole.
Care to dig anymore dirt on your grave chief?

Here are some photos of the Delco ****hole as you maladroitly put it. I'll post some additional photos later genius, just in case you are not totally convinced that you are'nt a complete mental deviant.

Heres a ****hole delaware county covered bridge. That thing should be condemned.

Heres one of Delaware Counties ****hole grimey rail stations.

A couple of Typical Delaware County ****hole houses

Last but not least heres one of big bad scary ****hole Chester. Duck Mr. grasscutter duck here comes a bullet.

Photos removed per poster's request

Last edited by Marka; 02-03-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania