Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,092 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from las vegas and moving to the Philadelphia area. I am looking for some advice from those that consider themselves an authority on philadelphia and the surrounding towns. Right now, I've been investigating Springfield, in Delaware County and I like the high rating of the schools but there are a few more things I'm looking for that are a must. Are there any other towns I should be looking into that offer these things? (Listed in order of importance)

1. Safe area to raise children, low crime rate - no ghettos!
2. Great schools
3. No more than 30 mins drive from South Philly (and according to mapquest, thats the time it takes to go only 13 miles....which I simply don't understand! That's only during rush hour, right?)
4. Houses with some land, at least one acre
5. A great nearby Gym, with classes, trainers, updated equipment
6. Shopping amenities nearby
7. A great view, possibly some parks, country living - urban style!

I will be commuting into south philly, so an overview on traffic is probably a good idea too. What should I expect? I was originally going to commute from New Jersey, but someone recommended Prospect Park. Well, I decided to rent a house until I am sure I will be staying permanently, so after I found out that there are no houses for rent in Prospect Park, I started looking in Springfield. So far, I have not been disappointed. I am only perplexed by the fact that mapquest predicts it will take me half an hour to drive 13 miles! I really want all that I listed above in a town....but I would love for that town to be only a 15-20 minute commute.

I'm a single mother, so if there is any added information you feel compelled to tell me, please don't hesitate. This will be my first time out east, so tell me anything you feel would help me make an informed decision.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
To answer your question why it takes 30 minutes to go 13 miles. Lots of people confined to a relatively small area. The Philadelphia areas development predated the automobile, most roads are old indian and horse trails.Take a good llok at those shiny new 8 lane boulevards and 12 lane superhighways before you leave Vegas.In Philly the boulevards are 4 lanes and the highways are in most cases 6 lanes.

Springfield is a pretty nice town, a step up from Prospect Park. Springfield is kind of the middle ground of where the Philadelphia area changes. east of Springfield is older, dense more urban. West Of Springfield is much more rural, scenic and nicer imo. If you look at a map of Philadlelphia the general rule of thump is east of Rt. 476( blue route) older more developed more character. West of RT.476 newer,open spaces, more typical us sprawl.Lots of mcmansions and lifestyle centers.

The next town west of Springfield is Media which might fit some of your criteria better. Its more scenic, better schools, and has 2600 acre Ridley Creek State Park nearby with miles of recreation trails and open space.(Watch out for ticks-Lyme disease) Media will only be an extra 5 minute commute.

Not sure what your price range is but some other nearby towns include:
Nether Providence
Swarthmore
Wallingford
Drexel Hill
Broomall
Newtown Square
Marple
Upper Providence
Middletown Township

Heres the answer to your question about 30 minutes for 13 miles.

Ridley Creek State Park- Media Pa. You go from urban to rural pretty abruptly here.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,092 times
Default Awesome

Thanks for that info, VERY helpful. I felt like I was being entertained by a mini national geographic report. And the pictures were a great help, too.

I'm going to check out Media, thank you Rainrock.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Good luck. Yeah a 15-20 minute commute from South Philly is going to put you in the inner suburb ring. Older,crowded, definitely not country like, views nothing spectacular. To find what you are looking for you will need to expand your perimeter westward.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM

17 posts, read 68,691 times
Hi! I second Rainrock for Media - Its a safe & nice place, better schools and a decent downtown area. With a Media theatre and some good restaurants they have, you will be good to go. Its a predominantly a family friendly neighbourhood - you will see lots of children on their bicycles with their parents in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania