Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Actually PA is quite a bit less diverse than even Illinois, a Midwestern prairie state. And PA is a lot less diverse and whiter than all of it's Northeastern counterparts. I hope this changes.
Actually I find PA to be more diverse than IL as a whole. IL's Latino population is predominately Mexican, with a smaller Puerto Rican population and trace amounts of Guatemalans and Ecuadorians, while PA's Latino population is mainly Puerto Rican and Dominican, with Brazilians, Colombians, Venezuelans, and even Peruvians.

The black population is more diverse here than in IL, which is predominately African-American. You have Trinidadians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Ghanaians, Liberians, Nigerians, and a whole host of other Africans here. When it comes to blacks, PA wins.

Don't even get me started with Asians. While there is a present Chinese and Indian population here, Philadelphia hosts the largest Cambodian and Vietnamese populations on the east coast, and PA as a whole hosts the largest Bhutanese population in America.

For white folks, it's give or take. In Chicago, it seems more like a Polish-Irish-German type of city, while in Philly, it's more Italian-Jewish-Irish in terms of influence.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 PM

100 posts, read 42,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Actually I find PA to be more diverse than IL as a whole. IL's Latino population is predominately Mexican, with a smaller Puerto Rican population and trace amounts of Guatemalans and Ecuadorians, while PA's Latino population is mainly Puerto Rican and Dominican, with Brazilians, Colombians, Venezuelans, and even Peruvians.

The black population is more diverse here than in IL, which is predominately African-American. You have Trinidadians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Ghanaians, Liberians, Nigerians, and a whole host of other Africans here. When it comes to blacks, PA wins.

Don't even get me started with Asians. While there is a present Chinese and Indian population here, Philadelphia hosts the largest Cambodian and Vietnamese populations on the east coast, and PA as a whole hosts the largest Bhutanese population in America.

For white folks, it's give or take. In Chicago, it seems more like a Polish-Irish-German type of city, while in Philly, it's more Italian-Jewish-Irish in terms of influence.
Yes, the Italian-Jewish-Irish are the big 3 white ethnic groups in Philly and NYC. Didn't find Chicago to be all that Italian despite its reputation for being so.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
I'm sure this has been asked here before, and probably will be again. But for those of us Pennsylvanians who don't live near Philadelphia or have visited, what are your opinions on it?

As a native of NWPA I personally can't stand Philly. Traffic is terrible, people are extremely rude, outside of Center City most of Philadelphia is dirty and dangerous, public transportation is a joke, the cheesesteaks aren't as great as everyone there makes them out to be, Wawa's just a gas station to me (like Country Fair or Shell), and we've all seen the way Philadelphia sports fans have acted over the last 50 years or so. To say nothing of our state government's blatant pro-Philly bias as opposed to places like Johnstown or Erie. Personally, I wish Philadelphia would secede from PA or become part of New Jersey.

But what do YOU think of our largest city, that we share this state with for better or for worse? This is nothing more than a post to start conversation and solicit opinions, not an outright dig at Philly.
Here's the OP. Any comments regarding national politics will be removed and infractions may be issued.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I actually found out that Philadelphia has more Puerto Ricans than Chicago, which might not be all that surprising as Philly is on the east coast, but we only beat Chicago by about 20,000. PR is a MUCH higher percentage of Philly's Hispanic population as opposed to Chicagos which is overwhelmingly Mexican.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:40 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
I actually found out that Philadelphia has more Puerto Ricans than Chicago, which might not be all that surprising as Philly is on the east coast, but we only beat Chicago by about 20,000. PR is a MUCH higher percentage of Philly's Hispanic population as opposed to Chicagos which is overwhelmingly Mexican.
Proximity, however, doesn't always determine where migrants settle.

IIRC, the largest share of Philadelphia's Mexican immigrant population comes from the south-central Mexican state of Puebla. What happened there was a few migrants found work in the city's restaurant kitchens and sent word back to relatives at home. The word spread, and more immigrants made their way to Philly from Puebla.

That's a pretty long trek.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:03 AM

8 posts, read 5,720 times
Quote:
Yea, 20k in the 2010 census. That gap is probably about 30-40,000 now. Philly's PR population is just growing at a faster rate than Chicago's. Also keep in mind that Chicago is nearly double in size 2.8 million vs 1.6 million, just 400k short. So percentage wise, Philly (9%) is alot more Puerto Rican than Chicago (4%). Boston and even Cleveland is more Puerto Rican than Chicago by percentage.

Chicago Latino community is dominated by Mexicans, with Puerto Ricans at a distant second. Philadelphia Latino community is dominated by Puerto Ricans, with Dominicans second. Dominicans are growing much faster than Mexicans in philly.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 AM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Quote:
I actually found out that Philadelphia has more Puerto Ricans than Chicago, which might not be all that surprising as Philly is on the east coast, but we only beat Chicago by about 20,000. PR is a MUCH higher percentage of Philly's Hispanic population as opposed to Chicago's which is overwhelmingly Mexican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam_rising View Post
Yea, 20k in the 2010 census. That gap is probably about 30-40,000 now. Philly's PR population is just growing at a faster rate than Chicago's. Also keep in mind that Chicago is nearly double in size 2.8 million vs 1.6 million, just 400k short. So percentage wise, Philly (9%) is alot more Puerto Rican than Chicago (4%). Boston and even Cleveland is more Puerto Rican than Chicago by percentage.

Chicago Latino community is dominated by Mexicans, with Puerto Ricans at a distant second. Philadelphia Latino community is dominated by Puerto Ricans, with Dominicans second. Dominicans are growing much faster than Mexicans in philly.
I have no idea what this has to do in this thread? Guess as going political is a no. This is a good replacement.

Latinos in Chicago recently became the second-largest ethnic group in the city by 2016.

Chicago stats.
- (29.7%) Hispanic (29.3%) Black (32.6%) non-Hispanic white.
Mexicans are the largest part accounting for about (80%) of the city’s 803,000 Hispanics with (9%) Puerto Rican.
Of this, (20%) are estimated as illegal and will hurt official Cencus counts.

https://www.economist.com/democracy-...t-ethnic-group

https://www.visitphilly.com/media-ce...ia-fact-sheet/

Philadelphia stats .
- (41%) Black and (35%) non-Hispanic White (14%) Hispanic.
Of these Latinos in Philadelphia at (14%) About (75%) are Puerto Rican and born as American citizens.

So a reverse of Chicago's 80% Mexican and 9% Puerto Rican.
Both city's overall totals are way different.
- 803,000+ Latinos in Chicago, nearly - (30%) of the city.
- 191,000+ Latinos on Philadelphia at - (14%) of the city.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ia-population/

Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Thread closed due to continued hi-jacking

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania