Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 PM

840 posts, read 692,637 times

Advertisements

Having lived in NYC and Michigan I do find Philly folks more initially curt than my prior homes, with this being said I also find that if you find a group and are accepted that the relationship is usually less superficial. I will add that I think some Philly folks (and Delco) take a certain pride in rudeness and wear it as a badge. I do hope that eventually people will see that there is no charm in this. From a historical standpoint Philly is a cool and interesting city with a lot more walkable areas than other large cities.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 PM

142 posts, read 86,180 times
What is it about my and our states Philadelphia posters that need to deny Pennsylvania is more then one city especially and region?

Just still liberal means acknowleging differences with respecting views. That shows true colors or not.

But no one can deny the clout of a major city. Just the need to demean others to a whole state. This thread became a poster child of both boasterism by a chip on ones shouder and lacking the ability to take a bit back that they can dish out.

Hopefully, the outcome is more civility and/or the thread has had its full ride of swipes that may have been started by someone labeled a Philly hater to some? To then a vengeance for revenge needed to hit back at a whole state I call home over one city alone.

My post was to note by one poster that needed to awaken the thread to hit further below the belt of our state. Otherwise it was best to leave it go back to sleep. Sadly, this forum has low activity to keep the thread near the top of the active list for new posters to read who come into the PA forum. Does not make us look good.

So hopefully a bit of calm and less need of post after post to defend Philly by going way overboad in blaming the rest of the state as lacking enough pride in our largest city. Just it still takes a village to make a whole that is our state and Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region. No one is blind to Philly's influence and history to our state and nation. Just every region has issues we share. Some much more in your face when you visit its neighborhoods.

No one should loathe each others region. But you cannot demand respect with far less given to the rest too. Post in this thread. Clearly showed degrees of this through the thread.

The post I replied to need to just lessen my state by relating it to another state next door. That is generally seen as least relavant among states. If not for only one city major city PA has. As if not for one city as Philadelphia. Would plummet the state to mediocrity and only region of value for our great state alone.

Sorry I posted. Seems best not to post in a Philadelphia thread especially if one does not prove a resident of that metro and city. Unless it is praise alone I assume. Guess it is a fight to gain recognition it had some diminishing in for too long leading losing the ability to respect post others opinions hurt thier pride. But guess it goes both ways.

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-04-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Pennsylvania without Philadelphia would be West Virginia.
Oh stop. That's a worst case scenario. WV(which isn't a bad state) still doesn't have a Pittsburgh, numerous smaller populated metros, bunch of higher ed, or industry. It'd likely be Wisconsin, Indiana or Virginia.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:51 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
Sorry I had to. However I think what he means by that is the Philadelphia region is the driver of the state. Yes Pittsburgh has huge cultural influence and a few select neighborhoods on the East End are really growing. But as a region it is still shrinking, look at all the Mon Valley towns. Southeast PA is really the only prosperous section of the State, especially if you include the Lehigh Valley into SEPA. The region bounded SE of route 22/222 is the only place that is growing.
This post is a good summary of the bigger picture... Without bringing up politics or rural vs. urban, etc., the Philadelphia region is the economic driver and growth center of the state.
Pittsburgh is still shedding people and is not economically strong enough to carry a large state like PA.
Philadelphia is much larger and more or less carries the state of PA from an economic, financial and growth standpoint.
There are other areas doing well like Lancaster County and the Lehigh Valley, but they are all extensions of the Southeastern PA region.

The latest census and economic data support the above point.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:26 PM

Most Northeastern cities and Midwestern cities are losing people and very slow growth regions mixed with areas of more rural/suburban type growth.

Pittsburgh isn't booming at this period of the start of the new decade. Lancaster thru Harrisburg region is not growing more dense urban in growth, but growing yes. It is my favorite region of PA in flatter less mountianous farmlands between Amish and more suburban built areas. Hershey in this mix too.

Harrisburg is the region center the more west yo go. It has its own media market that still can have a Philly and even Baltimore reach.

We should remember that parts of southern reaches from York eastward. Were placed in a Baltimore commute reach already. York included with Harrisburg and Hershey as a PA region of its own too.

None of this lessens Philly for PA to have some independent regions still in the Southeast growing region of the state. Its quaitness like the Poconos lures from mutiple Eastern cities too.

Philly lucks out in maintaining its African-American population much more then most other major cities. Pittsburgh never had as high if one to loose. But suffers same issues of many cities outside of the East Coast especially.

Philly seems to have maintained growth numbers again modest as they are. Many might credit NYC transplants for both profesionals and perhaps some less then wealthy transplants. Turning this tide of past declines is certianly a positive. But still this need to push superiority shows its face. Yes Philly sees its time of a new reversed fortune has arrived. But other regions and Pittsburgh are not just lesser to just hick rural mountian folk to see as a region to write off. Not that any big spike in growth is at hand. But the depressed areas see growth in poorer NYC transplants and some from Philly. Still it doesn't overcome losses to younger locals leaving, losses in retirement and death.

Philly was behind other cities in turning the tide for decades itself. So it should know growth is still a slow go and needs migrations to overcome losses. That loosing some and gaining a tad more others has begun for Philly finally. Nothing is a guarantee. But a very pricey mighty NYC near enough is its current reason and hope to continue this balance to losses ratio. It seems it can.
Wasn't long ago that little Pittsburgh had a skyline Philly desired more. Now two cities can boast of having nice ones.

But I don't remember over-zealousness to rub it in from Pittsburgh. Cleveland might have been more rival near city anyway? Wasn't toward Philly as much. Philadelphia now has a good skyline to be proud of too. Still much smaller Pittsburgh still rocks above its weight in skyline aesthetics and scope. It boast in Sports far more then other areas as needing to prove anything. Just does not need to say we are more then they are then thier sports teams.

There is far less this divide by Pittsburgh to the rest of PA. Perhaps till you reach the Southeastern areas? Going by PA forums and city ones. Clearly it is a far stronger a divide and even a very political one. That Philadelphia has toward much of PA. Far more then any other region has toward others. Blaming Harrisburg for its issues too is very strong too by post in their forum and a big share to their own politians as well quite common too. That is nothing new in any city.

NYC to the rest of its state in many ways too. But less evident in the NYC city forums blame game. Philadelphians crave a comeback that is more them vs the rest of PA. That is sadly true it seems. Perhaps because PA is not fully a one city and region state as some are. Clearly Ohio has smaller but more large cities to not feel one rules and the others bettet recognize it.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
Being a Pennsylvania native. Transplants seeing their refuge of a major city's center. Would post something like this in as in their own shell they created, or as a overzealous boaster?

The person ( Pine to Vine) you are responding to isn't a transplant in the strictest sense. He was from the Philadelphia metro originally. He moved back after retirement.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
Most Northeastern cities and Midwestern cities are losing people and very slow growth regions mixed with areas of more rural/suburban type growth.

Pittsburgh isn't booming at this period of the start of the new decade. Lancaster thru Harrisburg region is not growing more dense urban in growth, but growing yes. It is my favorite region of PA in flatter less mountianous farmlands between Amish and more suburban built areas. Hershey in this mix too.

Harrisburg is the region center the more west yo go. It has its own media market that still can have a Philly and even Baltimore reach.

We should remember that parts of southern reaches from York eastward. Were placed in a Baltimore commute reach already. York included with Harrisburg and Hershey as a PA region of its own too.

None of this lessens Philly for PA to have some independent regions still in the Southeast growing region of the state. Its quaitness like the Poconos lures from mutiple Eastern cities too.

Philly lucks out in maintaining its African-American population much more then most other major cities. Pittsburgh never had as high if one to loose. But suffers same issues of many cities outside of the East Coast especially.

Philly seems to have maintained growth numbers again modest as they are. Many might credit NYC transplants for both profesionals and perhaps some less then wealthy transplants. Turning this tide of past declines is certianly a positive. But still this need to push superiority shows its face. Yes Philly sees its time of a new reversed fortune has arrived. But other regions and Pittsburgh are not just lesser to just hick rural mountian folk to see as a region to write off. Not that any big spike in growth is at hand. But the depressed areas see growth in poorer NYC transplants and some from Philly. Still it doesn't overcome losses to younger locals leaving, losses in retirement and death.

Philly was behind other cities in turning the tide for decades itself. So it should know growth is still a slow go and needs migrations to overcome losses. That loosing some and gaining a tad more others has begun for Philly finally. Nothing is a guarantee. But a very pricey mighty NYC near enough is its current reason and hope to continue this balance to losses ratio. It seems it can.
Wasn't long ago that little Pittsburgh had a skyline Philly desired more. Now two cities can boast of having nice ones.

But I don't remember over-zealousness to rub it in from Pittsburgh. Cleveland might have been more rival near city anyway? Wasn't toward Philly as much. Philadelphia now has a good skyline to be proud of too. Still much smaller Pittsburgh still rocks above its weight in skyline aesthetics and scope. It boast in Sports far more then other areas as needing to prove anything. Just does not need to say we are more then they are then thier sports teams.

There is far less this divide by Pittsburgh to the rest of PA. Perhaps till you reach the Southeastern areas? Going by PA forums and city ones. Clearly it is a far stronger a divide and even a very political one. That Philadelphia has toward much of PA. Far more then any other region has toward others. Blaming Harrisburg for its issues too is very strong too by post in their forum and a big share to their own politians as well quite common too. That is nothing new in any city.

NYC to the rest of its state in many ways too. But less evident in the NYC city forums blame game. Philadelphians crave a comeback that is more them vs the rest of PA. That is sadly true it seems. Perhaps because PA is not fully a one city and region state as some are. Clearly Ohio has smaller but more large cities to not feel one rules and the others bettet recognize it.
Dave? Dat you?

I think the obvious reason the divide is felt stronger is that 1) the Philadelphia metro is much more connected to the Northeast Corridor than the rest of the state, 2) its size and 3) politics.

I don't think there is much of a real life "over-zealousness to rub it in" (rub what in?) from Philadephia, either.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:43 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Dave? Dat you?

I think the obvious reason the divide is felt stronger is that 1) the Philadelphia metro is much more connected to the Northeast Corridor than the rest of the state, 2) its size and 3) politics.

I don't think there is much of a real life "over-zealousness to rub it in" (rub what in?) from Philadephia, either.
ahaha, I thought the same thing. There are a lot of new accounts and ghosts from City Data past lurking around lately. Hey at least Daves post is separated into paragraphs now.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:48 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Oh stop. That's a worst case scenario. WV(which isn't a bad state) still doesn't have a Pittsburgh, numerous smaller populated metros, bunch of higher ed, or industry. It'd likely be Wisconsin, Indiana or Virginia.
I was being facetious. Not Virginia, however. I could buy Wisconsin or Indiana, but in either case, these are not states I’d want to emulate. One middling-sized city of any note, surrounded by small towns and large swaths of struggling, white rural counties.

SEPA puts the “zoom” in the state’s economy. Last I checked, PA has a GDP of around $725 billion, of which:

“With a gross domestic product of $388 billion, the city of Philadelphia alone ranks ninth among world cities and fourth in the nation.”. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Philadelphia).

That’s addition to the economic contribution of Philly’s 4 suburban PA counties.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:31 AM

As long as posters remember one city and region does not rule PA. I never would have posted. Once one poster wrote off all not near or in Philly. I posted. Some have to admit it was bad in boasterism that mocked too much the rest of the state in many post. Claiming a OP as a hater or others. Helped nothing.

It is no out if one is born in Philly and lived away till retirement or was a totally born elsewhere transplant. If their post relating PA without the Philly metro. Is just a West Virginia. It mocked both states.

Reading post I only read from Texas choosing Philly in retirement. Not sure what else can be added to this thread? Stats perhaps. But much of it was backbiting in defense to offensive tatics. I don't think most Pennsyvanians have any malice toward Philly.

Just having other cities close enough to share influence in different regions means one does not rule our state. Some felt it should or you diss that city and region.

Glad most of that is over. If I played a roll in ending it great. Seems some see Philly as a oasis in a rest of the state of mediocrity. That showed true colors whether born in PA or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania