Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times

Advertisements

I Live In Az Now But, I Was Born & Raised In Pa.
There Are Always Some Depressing Places In Every State.
Pa Is Simply Beautiful & I Still Get Homesick After All
The Years I Have Been Away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Honestly, even though Pitt and Philly have suffered more than their fair share of economic loss, that hasn't really been a detracting factor for me when it comes to this state. Compared to dealing with the stresses of Maryland and DC, I actually had more self-peace and stability in those cities, particularly when I attended U-Pitt. As a matter of fact, when I was going to Pitt, most Pennsylvanians I met were very friendly and affable. There were even other people I met, particularly from West Virginia who were very cool, laid back, and not bigoted. And even for the affluent peers of PA, unlike for the rich kids from where I live, they didn't allow their socioeconomic status get to their heads. It was definitely a refreshing break from the norm of dealing with a**holes, bigots, stereotypical minorities, and stuck-up kids. As a matter of face, in the school I go to now, some of the more friendlier, laid back people I have met are from PA.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 249,989 times
I currently live in North Central PA. I have lived here all my life, 30+ years. All I can say is I can't wait for a change. No jobs, bad economy, housing market is flooded (a buyers market) and I either need a change or an antidepressant

Old 07-29-2007, 03:57 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
My heart aches for my hometown (Sharon, PA, about an hour north of Pittsburgh). I have happy memories of growing up there -- everyone's father worked for one of the steel companies or Westinghouse, we loved going to Conneaut Lake Park and Pymantuning State Park. Great times!

But it's all gone. Steel crumbled and nothing replaced it. Even my beloved Conneaut Lake Park is closed! My hometown is going bankrupt, literally. When I had to medically retire from teaching, I was thinking of going back since I didn't need to find a job. It would have been nice to be among family and old friends again, especially since I'm disabled and could use the help sometimes.

However, when I investigated the tax structure and cost of living, I couldn't do it. Sure, I could pick up a house inexpensively but the affordable houses are OLD and in need of expensive repairs/upgrades. The property taxes are much higher than down here in Texas and the grocery prices blew me away when I went to visit. I don't know how folks do it up there -- especially since they have to fight for low-wage jobs.

I sure wish Western PA would turn around -- it used to be such a wonderful place to live. The beautiful hills and scenery don't put food on the table. I had to move south to make my way, even though it broke my parents' hearts.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Teatime, Conneaut Lake is still open! The Blue Streak lives!

Welcome to Conneaut Lake Park • Conneaut Lake, PA USA

There's a reason to be less depressed about living in Pennsylvania! LOL

Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Ohiogirl,
No, I'm sorry to say it didn't open this year. There's a CLP forum online and I've been following the news because I was considering a trip to Pennsylvania to visit family. I thought it would be fun to spend a few nights in Conneaut Lake, at the beautiful old hotel in the park.

The park owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to the electric company and didn't have the money to open the park this year. Even the hotel is closed. It's such a shame!!!!! There's a group holding fund-raisers and such for the park. I hope they're successful!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
I still think PA is beautiful, but the sprawl and rampant development in Eastern PA - that I do find truly depressing.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I still think PA is beautiful, but the sprawl and rampant development in Eastern PA - that I do find truly depressing.
Montage Mountain, Wilkes-Barre Township, Dickson City, The Abingtons, Back Mountain, Mountain Top---they're all blemishes upon Northeastern Pennsylvania. If we didn't have all of those areas being overdeveloped for tract housing and chain stores, just think about how much better our existing older neighborhoods would be!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Dang, teatime, now I am depressed! I know the park's had money troubles for years -- I haven't been there in about 10 -- but thought things were looking up, especially after reading the website earlier this spring when my sis and I were considering a trip with her kids.

We just stayed at Mom's in Erie, and took the kids to Waldameer instead. *sigh*

Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 AM

26 posts, read 134,030 times
Default yes and no

I was born in Kingston PA which is NEPA. We moved when I was 5, but I have most of my relatives still there. I have to say, NEPA is probably one of the most depressing, backwards, financially challenged area's in PA. The weather is horrible, and so many people seem to have a weight issue (obesity). People dress about a decade behind the rest of the world, and a good number of people are still sporting their long hair teased up with aquanet. Even people who live there say it sucks. Of course you will find the few that will boast about it, but trust me, this is only because they are stuck there, whether they want to admit it or not. Most people only have a high school diploma, so they have no skills. Just look up the economics on city data for Wilkes-barre etc... It speaks for itself. Now I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, Montgomery County. That area is very nice, although some parts are questionable, but most is nice. It's mostly upper middle class with new development going up all around. Close access to the city and close access to the beaches of Jersey, Deleware and Maryland. After I was married we moved to Pittsburgh. Now there are some area's in Pittsburgh that are nice and some that are not. However the weather is terrible most of the year, and althought he people are very nice, some parts of the surrounding city is about a decade behind as well. NEPA and SWPA have a lot in common, but SWPA has way more money in its residents and they are better educated. So, is PA depressing? Depends where you live. NEPA, ABSOLUTELY. SEPA, nope. SWPA, kind of, depending where you live and how tolerant you are of the winters. NWPA, don't know, only drove through once. As for the middle of the state, Im sure its just like the 4 corners of the state. Hit or miss. PA does have beautiful fall weather and its great for winter if you love skiing, snow boarding etc... THere are many great resorts and getaways as well. We left PA and live in Charlotte NC, and I have to say, I couldn't be happier to be out of PA, but I hate winter and that was by far my biggest gripe. Well, that and all the damn construction everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania