Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times

Advertisements

Wow, after living around the country, one will realize that you only find happiness in yourself. Not where you live. Many for instance will be happy somewhere because they are closer to family and friends.

If you are letting a few pot holes getting you down, you really got to step back and take a better look at life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:40 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmzenith View Post
The headaches of getting our cars inspected and the roads are enough to make us not want to make it happen here.
IMO, the dodging of a few potholes is better than the months that it takes to repave entire roads.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Wow, after living around the country, one will realize that you only find happiness in yourself. Not where you live. Many for instance will be happy somewhere because they are closer to family and friends.

If you are letting a few pot holes getting you down, you really got to step back and take a better look at life.
See the Thread: Non-Existent "Road Work" in Pennsylvania... 'sup with THAT?!

This ain't gonna fly in 2008! States are competing to attract newcomers. Native Pittsburghers have been forced to live with the "harrassment" for many many years. It doesn't take long to see what's really going on in this area (Pittsburgh region) when it comes to the on going (job security) road construction.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmzenith View Post
See the Thread: Non-Existent "Road Work" in Pennsylvania... 'sup with THAT?!

This ain't gonna fly in 2008! States are competing to attract newcomers. Native Pittsburghers have been forced to live with the "harrassment" for many many years. It doesn't take long to see what's really going on in this area (Pittsburgh region) when it comes to the on going (job security) road construction.
Zenith, you got it right. I checked into this not long ago and if my memory serves me correctly, Pennsylvania has the second-lowest rate of "in-migration" from other states... second only to West Virginia, which actually has a net out-migration. Shortly thereafter, I read something where PA Governor Ed Rendell bemoaned the fact that "people are leaving our Commonwealth in droves". Yeah, they are... and I WONDER WHY...?? Can you detect the sarcasm?

PA has a lot of natural beauty... if you want it, PA has it. Mountains, forests, beaches, flat lands, rolling hills, rivers, etc. However, as I was going through a pile of papers yesterday, I found one from the "Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Association" which ranked PA 49th out of 50 states for its business tax structure and 47th out of 50 for overall business friendliness atmosphere.

SO... Gov. Rendell... let me get this straight. You consider yourself intelligent, and yet you "wonder" why people are leaving PA? In most of the state, the weather sucks big-time... and in southeast PA where it doesn't suck as much, there are problems with overpopulation and crime (due to Philadelphia sprawl). The economy is devastated in most parts of the state, and it's not especially healthy in the non-devastated parts. Jobs are leaving, never to return... because the companies are relocating to other states with friendlier business climates. You just made it appear that you're getting on the bandwagon of statewide smoking bans, and yet the ban you endorsed was so lenient that not even the American Cancer Society could put its stamp of approval on it. Gas prices are higher than the national average, especially for diesel fuel... it is becoming a welfare state, and soon the only remaining residents will be welfare recipients, college faculty/staff, and college students. Hey, Eddie-baby... check this out. If you want to know how to improve PA, look at the states to where the PA expatriates are moving. The one and only thing you cannot change is the weather... and, honestly, not everyone hates cold snowy winters. The people who are leaving PA had to have moved there at one point... or been born there, which means their parents have dealt with the cold snowy winters for quite a while.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
IMO the only good things about PA are the excellent hospitals in Philadelphia. Take them away and you have a third world country.

I've been in all parts of the state and cringe whenever we cross the bridge.
I told my DH that I would follow him anywhere --- except Pennsylvania.
Why do I get the distinct impression they may have been psychiatric hospitals you are familiar with?

Last edited by rainrock; 07-09-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
.... and in southeast PA where it doesn't suck as much, there are problems with overpopulation and crime (due to Philadelphia sprawl).
The crime in suburban Philadlephia for the most part is non existent except for a few isolated old industrial towns(Chester,Coatesville,Norristown) and the small,well defined, border towns along the Philadlephia border. The chances of being a victim of crime outside those areas is remote. You are misrepresenting the overspill of the city. The suburban counties of Philadlephia re nothing like the city at all, the suburbs have absolutely no interest in being an extension of Philadlephia.

The 4 suburban counties of Philadlephia have a population of 2.5 M. The poverty rate would avg about 4% in those 4 counties and the poverty is incredibly centralized and isolated.

Overpopulation? Not really. The suburban counties of Philadlephia are doing an admirable job at land preservation.

The avg. density of Pennsylvania is 274 people per sq. mile. Chester County is 574 people per sq. mile. Bucks County 984 pp sq. mile.Montgomery County is 1500 per sq. mile Thats still fairly rural by metro standards.. For instance Bronx County is 10,000 people per sq. mile.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 47,118 times
Default Is PA depresing?

I was born and raised in Erie, PA and that was far from depressing. Although it's lakefront didn't compare to Chicago's (where I moved), Erie is a hustling town now.

There are other towns in PA which offer a lot. I'm thinking that you want the fun to come to you. There's Gettysburg, all that Philly has to offer, the beauty of the drive along route 80 and all the small towns with history a go-go.

Please open your mind to the possibility of good times. There's Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Hall. Pittsburgh has changed from when I was young; and I understand it's changed for the better.

Annie

Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
If you want to know how to improve PA, look at the states to where the PA expatriates are moving. The one and only thing you cannot change is the weather... and, honestly, not everyone hates cold snowy winters. The people who are leaving PA had to have moved there at one point... or been born there, which means their parents have dealt with the cold snowy winters for quite a while.
You're completely misrepresenting the picture. Going through this thread and reading posts like this, you'd think that the whole state is something resembling Baghdad. Here are some hard FACTS contrary to your dismal portrayal of our Commonwealth:

1.) Pennsylvania has NEVER had any net loss in population. In fact, the period for which the latest census data is available (1990-2000) showed the highest growth rate since the previous 20 years (3.6%):

CensusScope -- Population Growth

2.) Although below the national average in growth rates, Pennsylvania's 7 largest metropolitan areas had added -- not lost -- jobs from 2003-2007.

3.) We have some of the strongest institutions of higher education in the country, allowing large populations in the metropolitan areas surrounding Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg to have educational attainment above the national average:

"Both greater Philadelphia and the Pittsburgh metro areas enjoy strong assets in innovation, fueled by the presence of world class research universities, like the University of Pennsylvania and Carnegie Mellon. They both outperform the nation in their ability to attract federal research dollars and venture capital funding per capita and generate the most productive jobs in the state. They both, along with the Harrisburg metro area, match or exceed the national average in their share of adults with bachelors and graduate degrees."

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...a_katz_liu.pdf

I'm not saying there aren't downfalls to the PA economy, but diversifying from an economy historically based in textiles, manufacturing and mining is not an easy feat overnight. The areas in which you claim some Pennsylvanians are migrating to (i.e., the Sun Belt -- which is hardly a phenomenon unique to PA) are those that had an advantage built in -- they developed primarily during the rise of today's service-based economy. Whereas Pennsylvania has to work twice as hard to modernize a much older economy, infrastructure and workforce; we are making progress. Focusing on the negative won't allow you to see that, however.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-09-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
^good post. Some people seem really crabby on this forum. Like my comment on the pot holes. I hate our road construction, but don't go on-line to make everybody else feel miserable.

If they lived in Colorado they would probably be complaining about driving in the snow, or if they lived in Florida they would be crying about the bugs. Some people are just like that.

PA has some great cities, some worn down ones, and recreation. Its one of the oldest areas in the country. The problems mentioned are because of that. I really hope the people who just cry on these boards do move to a nice sprawly city in the sunbelt, somewhere where Wal-mart is the downtown district. Then there children will be on here in 50 years whining about how the Sunbelt is falling. Just give the sunbelt a few more decades of overgrowth. People talk like growth is such a wonderful thing.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM

42 posts, read 171,665 times
Hey all, I finally moved back to Pgh. I am so happy to be outta West Virginia.

Awsomo I agree why do ppl let pot holes let them down. I hate it to be hell with it, I would rather deal with that than dealing with ppl who are so depressed all the time. Geeze get a grip here and get a life.

Pa is a great state and I am just so glad to be back that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania