Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 06:50 AM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
using your source and ONLY your source the difference between 62.2 and 67.3 is a cliff. Any economist will tell you it is a function of compact support and a small movement has a large effect. Look again, at you graph and line it up with known history. And while I didnt bring trump into this thread, you all did and keep him alive, he did say economic conditions would 'v' - and they did, especially with labor, tempered on the back end by the injection of up to $6T of fake money to pay people not to work <----that part worked, they stayed home and continue to do so.
And that's what touched off this wave of inflation. To stop it, we will have to suck that money back out of the economy, and that's going to hurt.

Quote:
Now before you reply, you have to understand our current economy, which despite claims to the contrary you have not demonstrated. In 500 words or less, tell us the difference between an economy based on a strong manufacturing segment, vs a strong service sector. In all cases, consumer spending is the key, however, we do not now have any significant manufacturing in this country there are few productions of consumer goods goods. consumer goods...consumer spending...see the link? if we assume we had about 20M people working in the manufacuring sector just after its peak in 1980 (we did) and we lost about 7.5M by 2017 (we did) the population recognizes as a whole, that aside from very few very obscure goods you have, US manufacuring jobs are in some car things, and goods that YOU will never buy. You will NEVER buy a 777. You will NEVER buy a mainframe computer, you will NEVER buy a pressurized water reactor. are you starting to understand the difference? the just over 1/3 loss of manufacturing jobs resulted in nearly a 100% loss of american consumer goods. or alternatively, stepped in a target or walmart lately?
I used to read an LGBT mag published in Phoenix, and from its ads, I got the impression that the only thing people did there was sell one another real estate. I wondered how a city based on that activity alone could thrive. Similarly, an economy based on service industries alone is akin to having everyone take in one another's laundry, and that's a weak base as well. I set foot in Walmart and Target often enough, and I get what you're saying here — most of the stuff American consumers buy is made anywhere but here (but mainly in China).

Quote:
but the other side of that coin in, unlike indeed, indeed, which supports the gig-economy job wise - minimally educated people for journeyman full/part time work - these jobs require degrees in a field, a learned discipline. undergraduate enrollment is falling roughly 3+% per year. (educationdata.org) colleges, for the most part, are for profit institutions - even the ones that say they are not. american students are being replaced en masse by foreign students - (and you end up calling them racist.) starting in 2000 foreign students were displacing US students by double digit percentage per year, ONLY falling off with covid when the lions share (india subcontinent, china) were curtailed. (statista.com)
Given that the not-for-profit colleges and universities all seek to grow their endowments, many of which are big enough now that they could let anyone who wanted to attend them do so free of charge (that's certainly the case for the school I attended), I understand what you're saying there.

I contend that where we should be directing our education dollars is towards community colleges, which I refer to as "the workhorses of American higher education." They have three distinct and overlapping missions: to do the job high school didn't, to get those who did learn something in high school but aren't quite ready for the full four-year experience ready for it, and to retrain older workers in skills that will make them more useful in today's economy. (And those institutions are also chasing money from abroad: the Community College of Philadelphia went in with a local developer on an apartment building next to its campus where it hopes students from abroad will move into while attending CCP. Given that the funding formula established for community colleges in Pennsylvania — one-third of their operating budgets come from the state, the county and tuition each — has never really worked (at least not in Philadelphia; I can't really speak for the 14 other community colleges across the state), I guess they feel compelled to bring in students who can pay full freight (foreign students aren't eligible for Federal education grants).

Quote:
ps: for the first part of your post re: covid. wrong. The SAME people are proposing lockdowns, they are just not being listened to as lockdown disapproval is in the 90's percentage wise and its an election year, and masking rules are in effect. pitt public schools have been masked again the last 2 weeks and so have yoru philly schools and this repeats around the nation: cases are climbing slightly, mandates are instated, deaths are dropping. open another thread if you want to discuss that. since I have to answer to the executive, OPM and CDC, our work has moved up the 'threat scale' to "strongly recommended" - one step below required. Our RTO date is end of june. so saying "no one" and bolding it, is 100% wrong and not backed by any fact.
Fine. And based on this, I assume that you went from work in the private sector to work for the Federal government, so I have no reason to believe you're talking through your hat here.

I dutifully carry a mask with me and don it wherever a place I'm entering requires me to do so, but I believe that we are actually entering a phase where COVID, like the H1N1 virus that caused the "Spanish flu" pandemic at the end of World War I, will become a recurring seasonal illness that will make lots of people sick but not kill all that many, just like H1N1 does now. We will be encouraged to get shots for whatever variant is expected to be most common that year, but we won't have to don masks, practice social distancing, or stuff like that. I do think, however, that many of our best and brightest remain spooked by how severe and deadly the SARS-CoV-2 virus was and are now "fighting the last war." We will be unable to "get rid" of COVID, but given that even the virus itself wants to survive and can't do so by killing all its hosts, we should be able to tame it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 08:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 925,961 times
Quote:
funny thing is, you two have not refuted *one single thing I said* with any evidence. Oh sure, you say its just sensationalism.

But, back here in REALITY, every single source now says the same things, even the schills.

lets go one better, how about EITHER of you find *1* source that says the opposite?

You wont. Dishonesty is much much easier.
It will refute itself in six months when half the country isn't unemployed.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:09 PM

1,838 posts, read 680,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm going to toss this in to confound both you and the poster to whom you responded:

COVID is here to stay, and its trajectory will mirror that of the H1N1 flu virus (the one that caused the "Spanish flu" pandemic at the end of World War I and remains in circulation to this day).

IOW, it will become a chronic recurring condition. We will have to get booster shots for the seasonal variant of the day. We will not have to lock down or keep wearing masks.

And the poster to whom you responded is definitely off base there in their characterization of the current Democratic response to current conditions. No one, I repeat, no one is proposing we reinstate lockdowns at all, let alone China-style ones, and no one is urging that we even reimpose mask mandates of the kind that were lifted at the beginning of the year in most of the country (Philadelphia, the only city to reimpose one, lifted it the week after it reimposed it).
I really can’t trust the Democrats with Covid. I used to think Trump was reckless and selfish, and the Dems were the party of “science”, but now I think it’s worse if Democrats blindly the medical
/pharma establishment. Yes, none of the Democrat leaders are suggesting lockdowns now ( but it was likely politically calculated as unfavorable ). The Dem governors took the longest time to re-open and shortly did pushed for vaccine mandates to appease the medical/pharma industry. Perhaps I am biased but I strongly disagreed with the vaccine mandates and even their effectiveness.

As far as mask mandates, every Virtua, Cooper, major doctors office group has masking mandates still. Schools still have it in places. They are here to stay.. I personally know of Indian American families that are still in lockdown and not leaving their house. It’s because of Left media like CNN that instilled fear initially, CDC, medical establishment that overuses the term immunocompromised, and encourages mask wearing and covid fear beyond necessity. Just look at Ashwin Vasan, of NYC, and his extreme positions to keep kids masked. Even CNN had an article indicating how it impaired learning in schools but the stronger message is it is better for kids to mask up in schools. The Democrat party is ultimately 100% supportive of positions like that held by Vasan, but just because of political calculus and Republican opposition, Dem governors have eased up.

The Dem party has become a party that ultimately supports the extreme elements in it. They will censure a woman like Sinema but not Ilhan Omar or the Squad for a lot of the crap stunts they pull.

Last edited by g555; 05-31-2022 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 10:38 PM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
The Dem party has become a party that ultimately supports the extreme elements in it. They will censure a woman like Sinema but not Ilhan Omar or the Squad for a lot of the crap stunts they pull.
Replace "Democrat" with "Republican" in the above sentence and it's equally true.

Unless you approve of young men going around shooting up supermarkets and schools. Where do you think they got the idea that doing so was a good thing? Does the name Tucker Carlson ring a bell?

(From here, this argument really should go into the Politics and Other Controversies forum.)

Old 06-01-2022, 08:31 AM

7,279 posts, read 10,622,502 times
Quote:
MarketStEl already made this point very well, but I'm just piling on because it's so critical.

If you honestly don't recognize how extreme the GOP has become (look no further than Mastriano, easily the most fascist politician to ever win a statewide primary, and no, I'm NOT being dramatic), then you're clearly not being objective.

Again, I would agree that the Democrats had gone too far and too obstinate in their anti-COVID orthodoxy (although Republicans were just as stubborn in their orthodoxy and refusal to acknowledge even the most basic of COVID mitigation). But that ship has sailed, and the vast majority of Democratic politicians have relented on COVID; you're just hearing about the most stubborn ones.

The GOP, on the other hand, is full throttle on turning this country into a militant theocracy, banning the word "gay," dismantling voting rights, completely eliminating abortion (without exception), peddling conspiracy theories about racial "replacement," and allowing open carry guns in all public spaces--without question or limitation.

Sorry, but with all of this obvious right-wing insanity going on, lobbing complaints about the "Left" is completely disingenuous.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:27 AM

611 posts, read 366,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
MarketStEl already made this point very well, but I'm just piling on because it's so critical.

If you honestly don't recognize how extreme the GOP has become (look no further than Mastriano, easily the most fascist politician to ever win a statewide primary, and no, I'm NOT being dramatic), then you're clearly not being objective.

Again, I would agree that the Democrats had gone too far and too obstinate in their anti-COVID orthodoxy (although Republicans were just as stubborn in their orthodoxy and refusal to acknowledge even the most basic of COVID mitigation). But that ship has sailed, and the vast majority of Democratic politicians have relented on COVID; you're just hearing about the most stubborn ones.

The GOP, on the other hand, is full throttle on turning this country into a militant theocracy, banning the word "gay," dismantling voting rights, completely eliminating abortion (without exception), peddling conspiracy theories about racial "replacement," and allowing open carry guns in all public spaces--without question or limitation.

Sorry, but with all of this obvious right-wing insanity going on, lobbing complaints about the "Left" is completely disingenuous.

Bingo.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,693,244 times
Quote:
I really can’t trust the Democrats with Covid. I used to think Trump was reckless and selfish, and the Dems were the party of “science”, but now I think it’s worse if Democrats blindly the medical
/pharma establishment. Yes, none of the Democrat leaders are suggesting lockdowns now ( but it was likely politically calculated as unfavorable ). The Dem governors took the longest time to re-open and shortly did pushed for vaccine mandates to appease the medical/pharma industry. Perhaps I am biased but I strongly disagreed with the vaccine mandates and even their effectiveness.

As far as mask mandates, every Virtua, Cooper, major doctors office group has masking mandates still. Schools still have it in places. They are here to stay.. I personally know of Indian American families that are still in lockdown and not leaving their house. It’s because of Left media like CNN that instilled fear initially, CDC, medical establishment that overuses the term immunocompromised, and encourages mask wearing and covid fear beyond necessity. Just look at Ashwin Vasan, of NYC, and his extreme positions to keep kids masked. Even CNN had an article indicating how it impaired learning in schools but the stronger message is it is better for kids to mask up in schools. The Democrat party is ultimately 100% supportive of positions like that held by Vasan, but just because of political calculus and Republican opposition, Dem governors have eased up.

I totally disagree. This should never have been a political issue. Trump disciples followed his lead and were against masks. He prolonged the pandemic with his attitude. Masks work. I stated this before but my family go through the pandemic with nobody getting Covid until my 4-year old granddaughter's preschool lifted their mask mandate back in April. She got Covid, and gave it to her full vaccinated father and mother. The parents are both in healthcare and were very strict about wearing masks and N95s, and being tested.

Regarding schools, I taught all through the pandemic either online or with a mask on. Masks did not impair learning. Wearing masks incorrectly likely resulted in more cases of Covid and more days in quarantine. The problems with the pandemic response were simple. People would not follow the science. We also needed more testing, contact tracing and people getting vaccinated.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I totally disagree. This should never have been a political issue. Trump disciples followed his lead and were against masks. He prolonged the pandemic with his attitude. Masks work. I stated this before but my family go through the pandemic with nobody getting Covid until my 4-year old granddaughter's preschool lifted their mask mandate back in April. She got Covid, and gave it to her full vaccinated father and mother. The parents are both in healthcare and were very strict about wearing masks and N95s, and being tested.

Regarding schools, I taught all through the pandemic either online or with a mask on. Masks did not impair learning. Wearing masks incorrectly likely resulted in more cases of Covid and more days in quarantine. The problems with the pandemic response were simple. People would not follow the science. We also needed more testing, contact tracing and people getting vaccinated.

Exactly. If trump took it seriously and had been a leader, there would have been more support from the GOP base in following measures to get through it. 2020 could have turned out very differently regarding covid and its impact. And, frankly, he likely could have had enough support to win the election, but instead he did the opposite.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:01 PM

10,932 posts, read 4,600,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

are any of these statements actually true? cannot find any evidence they are.

btw - did connor lamb lose? or win?

Old 06-01-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
are any of these statements actually true? cannot find any evidence they are.

btw - did connor lamb lose? or win?

Oh ffs. Stop deflecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania