Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just got the approval message (today) for a new apartment that I looked into two weeks ago. I have been proactively looking for a new apartment since early - mid April, and many fell through.

My current lease ends 6/30/2023. I have not signed anything with the new apartment yet, but I might end up "moving in" June 1st which basically means my rent would go into play June.

Basically, I have not signed the renewal form for my CURRENT apartment, as it technically isn't due (if I wanted to renew) until 6/30. The reason I didn't hand in my 60 days notice as per the form is because i was waiting to hear back from other apartments. To me it made no sense saying I didn't want to renew if I didn't hear back about an approved application.

The problem: Now that it's less than 60 days of notice, how do I go about telling my landlord that I found a new place? Or even better, what happens next? I already communicated some of this to him so it isn't a surprise, but I didn't drop the "I am not renewing" bomb just yet. I don't know how this type of thing plays out. I realistically couldn't give 60 or more days of notice.

I should also mention that he knows I've been experiencing significant drama and noise issues (documented, filed, etc) with my upstairs neighbor since DECEMBER. Again, why I mention that the non-renewal shouldn't be a total surprise.

Does this mean I have to pay for the days my '60 days' carries over into July? I am worried this is going to lead to a lot of drama when I haven't done anything wrong. I have tried being upfront, and now with the approval, I am nervous what happens next. I was under the impression I would just finish my May and June rent payments since my name is on the lease until 6/30/23. I am fine paying extra days into July but I have never been in this scenario so I don't know how big or little of a deal it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
You need to read your lease carefully. It should explain the 60 day notice procedures and what if any penalties you could be subject to if those procedures aren't followed. You might forfeit your deposit, there might be fees...just don't know. State landlord/tenant laws differ wildly. If you've been a responsible tenant in good standing with your landlord, he's aware you've been looking to move, and he isn't a real stickler about lease terms he may not penalize you even though he is within his rights to. Don't count on it. He's running a business. Be upfront and cooperative with him. After all, he'll be losing your rental income on fairly short notice. Follow all the other lease requirements as closely as possible. This might be of interest:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...nsylvania.html

Old 05-23-2023, 08:23 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times
Review your lease as stated above. It might mention month-to-month after lease expires.

Are you renting from a managed community? From your post, you mention a him.

If you are renting from an apartment community, Then, check with your leasing office. They might make you go month-to-month at some rate, or do something ridiculous (like make you renew for 3 months) but review your existing lease carefully before you fall trap to signing something new.

Most probable and best case:
If your 60 days notice is put in as soon as possible, part of it falls before 6/30 and the rest after. Those remaining days after 6/30 would be at a higher rent per day at a partial of a month-to-month rate.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Without some sort of relief in the lease such as a penalty less than a month's rent, you might just have to pay rent at both places that one month. I did that when I moved a business from one commercial space to another, the advantage is that you can take your time moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania