Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 09:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

List of all Pennsylvania MSAs, with changes in μSA and CSA delineations and 2020 populations highlighted:

Philadelphia

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. The CSA added Cape May County, increasing its 2020 population by 95,263, from 7,379,700 to 7,474,963.

Pittsburgh

The MSA added Lawrence County, increasing its 2020 population by 86,070, from 2,370,930 to 2,457,000. The CSA added Mercer County, increasing its 2020 population by 110,652, from 2,657,149 to 2,767,801.

Allentown/Bethlehem

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. The CSA is new, combining the Allentown/Bethlehem MSA and the East Stroudsburg μSA for a 2020 population of 1,030,216.

Harrisburg

The MSA and CSA did not add or subtract any counties.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties.

Lancaster

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties.

York

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Harrisburg.

Reading

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Philadelphia.

Erie

State College

Chambersburg

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties, and is part of the Washington DC CSA.

Lebanon

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Harrisburg.

Johnstown

Altoona

Williamsport

The MSA and did not add or subtract any counties.

Gettysburg

List of all Pennsylvania μSAs, with changes in μSA and CSA delineations and 2020 populations highlighted:

East Stroudsburg

The MSA was downgraded to a μSA, and did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Allentown/Bethlehem.

Pottsville

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties.

Hermitage/Sharon

The μSA is new, after being subtracted from the Youngstown MSA. For CSA information, see Pittsburgh.

Sunbury

The μSA and CSA did not add or subtract any counties.

Meadville

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Erie.

Indiana

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Pittsburgh.

Bloomsburg/Berwick

The MSA was downgraded to a μSA, and did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Sunbury.

DuBois

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see State College.

Somerset

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Johnstown.

Sayre

Oil City/Franklin

Lewistown

Huntingdon

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Altoona.

Lewisburg

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Sunbury.

Bradford

Selinsgrove

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Sunbury.

Warren

Lock Haven

The μSA did not add or subtract any counties. For CSA information, see Williamsport.

St. Marys

List of all Pennsylvania MSAs, μSAs and CSAs by population after new delineations, with footnotes:

MSA population (2020)

6,245,051 Philadelphia
2,457,000 Pittsburgh

861,889 Allentown/Bethlehem
591,712 Harrisburg
567,559 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
552,984 Lancaster
456,438 York
428,849 Reading
270,876 Erie
158,172 State College
155,932 Chambersburg
133,472 Johnstown
122,822 Altoona
114,188 Williamsport
103,852 Gettysburg

μSA population (2020)

168,327 East Stroudsburg
143,049 Pottsville
110,652 Hermitage/Sharon
91,647 Sunbury
83,938 Meadville
83,246 Indiana
82,863 Bloomsburg/Berwick
80,562 DuBois
74,129 Somerset
59,967 Sayre
50,454 Oil City/Franklin
46,143 Lewistown
44,092 Huntingdon
42,681 Lewisburg
40,432 Bradford
39,736 Selinsgrove
38,587 Warren
37,450 Lock Haven
30,990 St. Marys

CSA population (2020)

7,474,963 Philadelphia
2,767,801 Pittsburgh

1,295,259 Harrisburg/York/Lebanon/Gettysburg
1,030,216 Allentown/Bethlehem/East Stroudsburg
354,814 Erie/Meadville
256,927 Sunbury/
Bloomsburg/Berwick/Lewisburg/Selinsgrove
238,734 State College/DuBois
207,601 Johnstown/Somerset
166,914 Altoona/Huntingdon
151,638 Williamsport/Lock Haven

Footnotes

1. Pennsylvania has two standalone MSAs that are not part of any CSAs: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lancaster.

Pennsylvania has seven standalone μSAs that are not part of any CSAs: Pottsville, Sayre, Oil City, Lewistown, Bradford, Warren, and St. Marys.

3. Chambersburg is the only MSA that's part of a CSA centered out-of-state.

4. Pike County was subtracted from the New York MSA, and is not part of any MSA, μSA or CSA.

5. With the subtractions of Pike County from the New York MSA, and Mercer County from the Youngstown MSA, no counties in Pennsylvania are part of any MSAs centered out-of-state.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 07:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Thank you for all of your hard work on this! Very interesting for sure.

One thing that really struck me overall is how NYC's sphere of influence seems to be contracting. There are no longer enough power-commuters to justify either Pike or Monroe Counties being in its orbit, and Connecticut was just split off to do its own thing. Neither Pike nor Monroe Counties themselves are major employment hot-spots, so I suppose more people in those counties have just begun to commute to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or the Lehigh Valley, respectively, but I guess there still aren't enough people commuting from Pike County into Lackawanna County for it to be added to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA. It makes me wonder where the people in Pike County commute to.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:15 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

One thing that really struck me overall is how NYC's sphere of influence seems to be contracting. There are no longer enough power-commuters to justify either Pike or Monroe Counties being in its orbit, and Connecticut was just split off to do its own thing. Neither Pike nor Monroe Counties themselves are major employment hot-spots, so I suppose more people in those counties have just begun to commute to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or the Lehigh Valley, respectively, but I guess there still aren't enough people commuting from Pike County into Lackawanna County for it to be added to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA. It makes me wonder where the people in Pike County commute to.
Honesdale?

Since the OMB adds or removes counties from MSAs, µSAs and CSAs based on percentages of residents who commute to counties within the CBSA ("core-based statistical area") in question, it may simply be that some people who moved into the county and used to commute to work now no longer do.

I suspect that the rapid growth of work-from-home professionals since 2020 will result in more such shifts the next time OMB revises the definitions.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:55 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

That is an interesting observation. The post-COVID commuting patterns must have shifted quite a bit.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
List of all Pennsylvania MSAs, with changes in μSA and CSA delineations and 2020 populations highlighted:

Philadelphia

The MSA did not add or subtract any counties. The CSA added Cape May County, increasing its 2020 population by 95,263, from 7,379,700 to 7,474,963.
Philadelphia may not get the praise that sunbelt cities like Houston and Atlanta receive for population growth but we can't ignore the fact that Philly has added 4 counties to its CSA since the early 2000's which is very impressive.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:16 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philadelphia may not get the praise that sunbelt cities like Houston and Atlanta receive for population growth but we can't ignore the fact that Philly has added 4 counties to its CSA since the early 2000's which is very impressive.
You think Lancaster ever join the Philadelphia CSA?
I'm not sure how the employment numbers work, maybe Lancaster is more independent?

Old 07-27-2023, 05:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm not sure how the employment numbers work, maybe Lancaster is more independent?
Probably not. Not a strong enough commuter workflow and unlike Berks County, which is more economically and culturally tied to the Philly area than Lancaster County is.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wouldn't think so. It is about 40 minutes from Gap, which is in Eastern Lancaster County, to King of Prussia, which is the nearest major employment center in Chester County. Considering the bulk of Lancaster County's population lives well west of Gap, and considering Lancaster County itself has many employers, I don't foresee enough people needing to commute an hour east to work to get Lancaster County added to the Philadelphia CSA.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Probably not. Not a strong enough commuter workflow and unlike Berks County, which is more economically and culturally tied to the Philly area than Lancaster County is.
I don't even see Berks County getting added into the Philadelphia CSA. It is about 40 miles from Reading to major employment areas in the Philadelphia collar counties. I suppose many in Exeter Township can and do power-commute into the Philly 'burbs, but I don't think that commuter percentage threshold of Berks County residents into Chester or Montgomery Counties will ever hit that magic number unless the areas around Pottstown/Sanatoga start developing with more major employers to lure more Berks County commuters.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:19 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,589 times
I could see Berks being added if the new Schuylkill River Passenger Rail Authority actually materializes into something. I think the next change could be Schuylkill being added into the Lehigh Valley. I couldn't find recent numbers but anecdotally I know many commute, since there are basically no jobs there. And what little retail they had (Schuylkill Mall) is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania