Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 12:42 PM

752 posts, read 459,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My son went to college in Center City...
Just out of curiosity, University of the Arts? (That's the only college I can think of in Center City outside of Thomas Jefferson.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 03:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Just out of curiosity, University of the Arts? (That's the only college I can think of in Center City outside of Thomas Jefferson.)
I guess not exactly Center City. He went to Penn.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:41 PM

408 posts, read 231,371 times
I answered your question below. I used to live in DC, and majority of my life on eastern PA and looked into many other areas when work from home was an option. Pittsburgh would meet all your requirements and more. Although, I will say this, you and your family must visit places first. I heard so many things about Pittsburgh that were just so wrong when I got here. People don’t realize what they actually have in Pittsburgh for a mid size city that punches well above it’s weight and get’s many big city perks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff1998 View Post
Hello all.

My question for this super long thread is: Pittsburgh or Philly?

We are extremely athletic & both love sports. Sporting events, games, tours, recreation sports, playing slow pitch softball, kickball, literally anything sports related we love.
Both areas are Sport Cities. Cannot go wrong with both and right now Pittsburgh is going through some testing / analysts for an NBA franchise on top of the three they have. Soccer is a thing here and all the sports you mentioned

Quote:
We both don’t drink or smoke, but not opposed to going to a bar for an event (just won’t go to get drunk)
Both offer this quite well. I thing Pittsburgh has more unique areas because of the City’s layout and old architecture .

Quote:
We love being outdoors. We love the water, laying on the sand, swimming, letting our dog play in the water, and all that. She loves hiking, I only enjoy it if there’s a nice view or nice end goal lol. I am a new photographer so I do love getting good views to capture on camera, we both love the cold & snow so any snow activity, we are in.
I will say this now, East coast PA sucks compared to West coast PA. Pittsburgh’s mountain ranges are bigger, much closer to the national forest on top of it. Many parks both in the city (two combined are bigger than NYC’s Central Park) and outside of the city. The core City of Pittsburgh has the best skyline view of any City (no joke, on top of Mt Washington, it’s so beautiful, especially with the rivers and thats just one location). The city is surrounded by mountains, and three rivers are around it. The bike trails are amazing, including the one that goes all the way to Washington DC. I just recently went to a state park on this side that Christian bale filmed a movie in and damn it’s better than any east coast state park.

One other thing that I like to mention which is much closer to Pittsburgh than Philly and that is the Great Lakes. Experiencing these is quite awesome and will blow you away at first because you will feel like you’re on an ocean because they are huge. Lake Erie is 128 miles away which you can get there in 2 hours and 10 mins maybe 2 hours with no traffic or less depending on speed.

You have access to the Ohio, Monongahela, Alleghangy Rivers. Follow RiverPGH and you will see what they are doing to complete the “loop” for the river walk and building accessible walking all around the city’s river fronts and parks at certain sections. Complete with bike paths, walking / running paths, etc. Plus we have a crap ton of Bridges if you’re into that (all the huge ones are walkable).

Quote:
We love traveling & seeing new things & doing pretty much anything out of the house we can.
My wife and I are big travelers both over seas and domestic. Yes it is true that Phillys Airport is bigger, of course it would be I mean their metro area is 6.2 million people compared to our 2.4 million. However, our airport is not joke and quite good. It’s also getting a 1.5 billion dollar terminal upgrade (will be done in 2025), first airport in the world to have its own self sustainable MicroGrid (got to google all these upgrades, quite nice). They are getting more destinations, it isn’t the hub it used to be back in 1992 to 2004 but it get’s us everywhere. I travel direct flights to London Heathrow often, and in May of 2024 we’re getting direct flights to Iceland, and more direct flights internationally as well. Although going directly to London is really all you need imo. You can get any where domestically at Pittsburgh airport. It’s a big Airport and always ranks high on many airport listings (especially ones that if you were stuck at an airport, where you would stay for an example). Phillys airport, honestly many people hate the experience, and it sucks compared to other airports of its size.

A for Pittsburgh’s airport for sure. BTW, I just live 10 miles or so away from the Airport and I live by so much nature, rivers, etc. It’s quite amazing honestly.

Pittsburgh does have Amtrak, granted the eastern corridor is different compared. But we do get Passenger service from Amtrak to NYC (which will increase to two times a day soon) and we have access to the capital limited express which goes from Chicago to DC (nice train, sleeper train, dinging cart, etc). Amtrak did announce they will put there newer engines / trains on the NYC line as well here soon. We do have some epic old train stations that you must see. Even one (the Pennsylvanian which is one of the most unique in the county you don’t see often anymore)

Quote:
We do have a 2 year old lab, & plan on getting a golden retriever hopefully soon & also have a cat.
I have two Golden Retriever, and three cats. Emergency hospital for animals is 1.4 miles away from my house. I used to travel 1 hour. Cannot beat this. Our day to day vet (which ranks very well, and they have lived up to that reputation. They also accept Pet insurance Pet assure. I’ve saved hundreds of dollars easily a year.

Quote:
I love the city life. Tall skyscrapers, cool architecture, shopping, walking downtown, going to museums, etc
Pittsburgh will meet your needs here. You will be shocked honestly for a mid size city. The reason for this is because the Steel industry had so many tycoons that lived here, the city greatly benefited from that. Many gilded age (HUGE) buildings, epic architecture from that time and even currently. Which includes Hotels build from the 19th century to now. Many LEED Platinum and Gold award buildings. Including a 1.7 million SQFT LEED Platinum convention center. When you go into Pittsburgh core downtown (aka the Golden Triangle) you get the feeling you’re in a bigger city than what it is. You need to experience this for yourself to understand what I’m saying. We have something that Philly does not have (imo) and that is the Strip District, google it, you will see what I mean. We also have a 14 block culture district with some of the best theaters around. They even beat out broadway in terms of appearance and matches quality in shows in a lot of areas. We do get broadway travel shows and we do have our own opera and sympathy which is ranked in the top 10 in the country. It really helps when you have things like the Heinz Endowment giving money into the city and other endowments from the tycoons and others that made bank in this city.

Museums? Our museums beat out Washington DC’s in many categories (no joke, I was surprised). Carnegie Mellon, Carnegie Science Center, Heinz Museum (which ironically also has a Smithsonian section as they partner with them so you get DC level stuff here as well), Andy Whorehal museum, Phipps conservatory and botanical gardens, Museum of Illusions, 76 Acre Zoo (in the city itself) and so much more. We also have the only recognized national aviary in the country as well.

Shopping here is quite good. Granted nothing can beat King of Prussia but the two Simon mills malls here (which they also own King of Prussia) take care of the best malls here quite well. Ross park has a lot more Luxury stores but also a good mix of everything in between. You will find pretty much everything you need and more here in Pittsburgh.

Quote:

Fiancé loves the country life but also likes the city.
I live 7 miles away from Downtown. However, when you walk around, you will feel like your in this isolated, nature based town (big trees, big yards, epic old homes, isolated up on a mountain with the Ohio river you can look over). IF you just go 15 to 30 miles from downtown in any direction you’re starting to hit county. And Pittsburgh is uniquely laid out too. For example, the south hills was developed way before the north hills so you get the classic traditional City suburb (dense) type feel. You go toe the north hills and your sprawling across mountains, drive a car to big malls, big yards in homes, developments in areas, etc.

Quote:
I just don’t want to have to travel 20+ minutes to the nearest gas station, grocery store, or main shopping stores.
Never an issue. Closest one to me is 1.5 miles away. Grocery store is 3.5 miles away, biggest malls in our area are 8.1 miles away from my area or the second biggest is 13 miles. Minutes is all based on traffic to be honest here.

Quote:
We do both like suburbs & having a yard, & neighbors as long as they are not directionally on top of us.
I believe I answered this in my responses above, let me know if I did not. My neighbors are far part, I have a .34 acre (square) yard and 150 foot trees.

Quote:
We are expecting so we are starting to focus on schools & safety & all that even though school is still a few years away
Many great schools to choose from in this County. There are others that are better than some both private and public. Definitely no issues here with that. Plus for higher education, we have some of the best universities in the county (University of Pittsburgh as an example) with one of them well known world wide (Carnegie Mellon).

Quote:
I have labor construction background, which I don’t really enjoy anymore, but I am currently working in an office making $64k a year & my fiancé is a CNA making about $54k a year but hoping wages are higher in either area.

We are both exploring work from home/hybrid careers, & honestly as long as I’m trained & don’t need a college degree & fiancé will eventually go back to school for her RN unless she finds a better opportunity doing something new.
Pittsburgh will make your dollar expand ALOT more than Philly, let me tell you that. I lived in DC for example, the house I’m in now, would be over 1 to 3 million easy in DC and Philly.

Quote:

I hope I didn’t leave any key info out, but I’m Hoping this thread will allow me to gather much needed information on where we should look.

We do plan on renting for a little while to ensure we like where we chose, & then looking to buy as soon as we are able to.

Thank you for taking the time to read this bible verse & hope to see some great replies!
I talk about Pittsburgh a lot not just because I live here now but many things here go unnoticed by people who live in Bigger cities. Keep in mind both cities are two different ones but they both have unique characters for sure. You need to visit each multiple times and hit all the major areas / sites

Old 02-17-2024, 06:56 PM

342 posts, read 317,917 times
Philadelphia is a good place for all the reasons mentioned by previous posts. But if your family is in Illinois, Pittsburgh would be closer. Pittsburgh is also a great city. It’s economy is diversified, and COL is reasonable.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:07 PM

90 posts, read 84,778 times
I'm originally from Pittsburgh, and as a result would pick that over Philadelphia (which I've been to about 8-10 times) as a place to live.

Having said that, OP I would like to offer a third choice -> Harrisburg. Decent sized, seems to be growing, state capital, warmer weather (a bit) than Pittsburgh, closer to the ocean. Have you considered it?

Old 02-23-2024, 08:10 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Housing in Philadelphia isn't as expensive as housing in DC; it's the most affordable of the five major Northeast Corridor metros.

But your housing dollar will go further in Pittsburgh than in Philadelphia, and overall COL is lower as well.

higherho gave you some very good reasons to pick the 'Burgh over Philly, though we do have both mountains (smaller ones, but mountains still) and a coastline within a short drive (one hour to the Jersey Shore, two to the Poconos).

But since they also mentioned architecture, I should also bring up something found in the greater Pittsburgh area that no other place in the country has:

The most famous house in the USA (and maybe the world), Frank Lloyd Wright's masterwork, "Fallingwater" on Bear Run in the Laurel Highlands. The house was built in the 1930s for Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar Kauffmann and recently got structural work to make sure its dramatic cantilevers stick around through the 2130s.

Old 02-24-2024, 09:46 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
I answered your question below. I used to live in DC, and majority of my life on eastern PA and looked into many other areas when work from home was an option. Pittsburgh would meet all your requirements and more. Although, I will say this, you and your family must visit places first. I heard so many things about Pittsburgh that were just so wrong when I got here. People don’t realize what they actually have in Pittsburgh for a mid size city that punches well above it’s weight and get’s many big city perks.

Both areas are Sport Cities. Cannot go wrong with both and right now Pittsburgh is going through some testing / analysts for an NBA franchise on top of the three they have. Soccer is a thing here and all the sports you mentioned

Both offer this quite well. I thing Pittsburgh has more unique areas because of the City’s layout and old architecture .

I will say this now, East coast PA sucks compared to West coast PA. Pittsburgh’s mountain ranges are bigger, much closer to the national forest on top of it. Many parks both in the city (two combined are bigger than NYC’s Central Park) and outside of the city. The core City of Pittsburgh has the best skyline view of any City (no joke, on top of Mt Washington, it’s so beautiful, especially with the rivers and thats just one location). The city is surrounded by mountains, and three rivers are around it. The bike trails are amazing, including the one that goes all the way to Washington DC. I just recently went to a state park on this side that Christian bale filmed a movie in and damn it’s better than any east coast state park.

One other thing that I like to mention which is much closer to Pittsburgh than Philly and that is the Great Lakes. Experiencing these is quite awesome and will blow you away at first because you will feel like you’re on an ocean because they are huge. Lake Erie is 128 miles away which you can get there in 2 hours and 10 mins maybe 2 hours with no traffic or less depending on speed.

You have access to the Ohio, Monongahela, Alleghangy Rivers. Follow RiverPGH and you will see what they are doing to complete the “loop” for the river walk and building accessible walking all around the city’s river fronts and parks at certain sections. Complete with bike paths, walking / running paths, etc. Plus we have a crap ton of Bridges if you’re into that (all the huge ones are walkable).

My wife and I are big travelers both over seas and domestic. Yes it is true that Phillys Airport is bigger, of course it would be I mean their metro area is 6.2 million people compared to our 2.4 million. However, our airport is not joke and quite good. It’s also getting a 1.5 billion dollar terminal upgrade (will be done in 2025), first airport in the world to have its own self sustainable MicroGrid (got to google all these upgrades, quite nice). They are getting more destinations, it isn’t the hub it used to be back in 1992 to 2004 but it get’s us everywhere. I travel direct flights to London Heathrow often, and in May of 2024 we’re getting direct flights to Iceland, and more direct flights internationally as well. Although going directly to London is really all you need imo. You can get any where domestically at Pittsburgh airport. It’s a big Airport and always ranks high on many airport listings (especially ones that if you were stuck at an airport, where you would stay for an example). Phillys airport, honestly many people hate the experience, and it sucks compared to other airports of its size.

A for Pittsburgh’s airport for sure. BTW, I just live 10 miles or so away from the Airport and I live by so much nature, rivers, etc. It’s quite amazing honestly.

Pittsburgh does have Amtrak, granted the eastern corridor is different compared. But we do get Passenger service from Amtrak to NYC (which will increase to two times a day soon) and we have access to the capital limited express which goes from Chicago to DC (nice train, sleeper train, dinging cart, etc). Amtrak did announce they will put there newer engines / trains on the NYC line as well here soon. We do have some epic old train stations that you must see. Even one (the Pennsylvanian which is one of the most unique in the county you don’t see often anymore)

I have two Golden Retriever, and three cats. Emergency hospital for animals is 1.4 miles away from my house. I used to travel 1 hour. Cannot beat this. Our day to day vet (which ranks very well, and they have lived up to that reputation. They also accept Pet insurance Pet assure. I’ve saved hundreds of dollars easily a year.

Pittsburgh will meet your needs here. You will be shocked honestly for a mid size city. The reason for this is because the Steel industry had so many tycoons that lived here, the city greatly benefited from that. Many gilded age (HUGE) buildings, epic architecture from that time and even currently. Which includes Hotels build from the 19th century to now. Many LEED Platinum and Gold award buildings. Including a 1.7 million SQFT LEED Platinum convention center. When you go into Pittsburgh core downtown (aka the Golden Triangle) you get the feeling you’re in a bigger city than what it is. You need to experience this for yourself to understand what I’m saying. We have something that Philly does not have (imo) and that is the Strip District, google it, you will see what I mean. We also have a 14 block culture district with some of the best theaters around. They even beat out broadway in terms of appearance and matches quality in shows in a lot of areas. We do get broadway travel shows and we do have our own opera and sympathy which is ranked in the top 10 in the country. It really helps when you have things like the Heinz Endowment giving money into the city and other endowments from the tycoons and others that made bank in this city.

Museums? Our museums beat out Washington DC’s in many categories (no joke, I was surprised). Carnegie Mellon, Carnegie Science Center, Heinz Museum (which ironically also has a Smithsonian section as they partner with them so you get DC level stuff here as well), Andy Whorehal museum, Phipps conservatory and botanical gardens, Museum of Illusions, 76 Acre Zoo (in the city itself) and so much more. We also have the only recognized national aviary in the country as well.

Shopping here is quite good. Granted nothing can beat King of Prussia but the two Simon mills malls here (which they also own King of Prussia) take care of the best malls here quite well. Ross park has a lot more Luxury stores but also a good mix of everything in between. You will find pretty much everything you need and more here in Pittsburgh.

I live 7 miles away from Downtown. However, when you walk around, you will feel like your in this isolated, nature based town (big trees, big yards, epic old homes, isolated up on a mountain with the Ohio river you can look over). IF you just go 15 to 30 miles from downtown in any direction you’re starting to hit county. And Pittsburgh is uniquely laid out too. For example, the south hills was developed way before the north hills so you get the classic traditional City suburb (dense) type feel. You go toe the north hills and your sprawling across mountains, drive a car to big malls, big yards in homes, developments in areas, etc.

Never an issue. Closest one to me is 1.5 miles away. Grocery store is 3.5 miles away, biggest malls in our area are 8.1 miles away from my area or the second biggest is 13 miles. Minutes is all based on traffic to be honest here.

I believe I answered this in my responses above, let me know if I did not. My neighbors are far part, I have a .34 acre (square) yard and 150 foot trees.

Many great schools to choose from in this County. There are others that are better than some both private and public. Definitely no issues here with that. Plus for higher education, we have some of the best universities in the county (University of Pittsburgh as an example) with one of them well known world wide (Carnegie Mellon).

Pittsburgh will make your dollar expand ALOT more than Philly, let me tell you that. I lived in DC for example, the house I’m in now, would be over 1 to 3 million easy in DC and Philly.

I talk about Pittsburgh a lot not just because I live here now but many things here go unnoticed by people who live in Bigger cities. Keep in mind both cities are two different ones but they both have unique characters for sure. You need to visit each multiple times and hit all the major areas / sites

cool. Bienvenidos.

Hit me up when the temp climbs a bit and I will take you on a tour of the 3 rivers as part of the emsworth pool and you will be surprised yet again. I take it you live near towards sewickley?

Old 02-24-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The most famous house in the USA (and maybe the world), Frank Lloyd Wright's masterwork, "Fallingwater" on Bear Run in the Laurel Highlands. The house was built in the 1930s for Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar Kauffmann and recently got structural work to make sure its dramatic cantilevers stick around through the 2130s.

I get a laugh - not at you no no no...people associate the house with pittsburgh but its nowhere near the town...prolly an hour and a half away, its fairly close to oniontown (but no direct way to get there) and if it has to be a major city then morgantown. Once you climb 40 out of oniontown across what used to be THE truck route for MD/PA - you would be surprised what is tucked back in there. Just dont go in snow...(friday prez weekend was nightmare...)

Old 02-24-2024, 11:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I get a laugh - not at you no no no...people associate the house with pittsburgh but its nowhere near the town...prolly an hour and a half away, its fairly close to oniontown (but no direct way to get there) and if it has to be a major city then morgantown. Once you climb 40 out of oniontown across what used to be THE truck route for MD/PA - you would be surprised what is tucked back in there. Just dont go in snow...(friday prez weekend was nightmare...)
Google Maps says 71 minutes from the Point to Fallingwater. Turnpike to Donegal, Route 711 to Route 381.

I grew up close to there and was never that impressed with the house. It was designed for someone my height (6'4")

Old 02-24-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Google Maps says 71 minutes from the Point to Fallingwater. Turnpike to Donegal, Route 711 to Route 381.

I grew up close to there and was never that impressed with the house. It was designed for someone my height (6'4")

well I didnt look it up, but from the point, just to the TP can eat up over half that...'specially if the tunnel monster is active!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania