Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM

43 posts, read 202,488 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am planning to move to the south central PA area next summer and I'm already doing research on these areas. I will still have a high school student with a minor learning disability to consider. I have been to Lancaster county many times but after looking at housing online, Annville has more affordable housing and a couple of good school districts. How about Wyomissing and West Lawn, what's it like there? My career is in healthcare, medical assistant to be exact. I need to get out of the rat race, overpopulated area where I am now. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 AM

16 posts, read 76,999 times
Hey,
I am moving from NJ to Pa within a year.. or so that is the plan. We are looking at suburbs of Lebanon county.. We will probably end up in South Lebanon or Cornwall. The school district is great. We went to visit. I have a 4th grade daughter with mild autism/asperger's. I wanted to be sure they had all the services I need for her. Seems their school system has a lot to offer for special needs kids. It's the Cornwall-Lebanon school district. Look them up online maybe you can speak to the Director of Special Services so they can let you know if all your needs are covered.

People will tell you Lebanon City is not good. I guess I grew up in NY where there are so many worse areas. Lebanon just needs some love. Supposedly they will be revitalizing the area in the near future. I would probably stay in the suburbs of Lebanon. Houses are much more inexpensive than Lancaster (we looked at both) and you can much more house for the money. You could probably find a job pretty close by. Good Samaritan hospital is close and Hershey is not to far a drive..

Good luck. We too are tired of the rat race. Enjoy some nice quiet countryside.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM

43 posts, read 202,488 times
Thanks JAAS for your input, it seems that we're on the same page. I have done alot of school research but I haven't gone as far as talking to the school. Annville-Cleona is also a good school district. I had my heart set on Lancaster but so much has changed for me, it may be unaffordable so I started looking at Lebanon and see it's very close to Hershey which is a good thing for me and anyone in need of good medical care. Let's just hope that it doesn't become too "urbanized" for us who are trying to get out of the rat race of LI and NJ, this NOT how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,748 times
Default Lititz Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmar37 View Post
Hello,
I am planning to move to the south central PA area next summer and I'm already doing research on these areas. I will still have a high school student with a minor learning disability to consider. I have been to Lancaster county many times but after looking at housing online, Annville has more affordable housing and a couple of good school districts. How about Wyomissing and West Lawn, what's it like there? My career is in healthcare, medical assistant to be exact. I need to get out of the rat race, overpopulated area where I am now. Thanks for any input.
I am currently residing in a 2 bedroom townhouse in Lititz PA where I have lived for the past 11 years. I to am from Longisland NY and can say that the school district is great here being I have had 2 children graduate from this area. The townhouse will be available Jan 1 and is located on a private block right across the street from the elementary school. It has stove, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Front yard with a patio and garage and back yard with a deck. The landlorde is looking to rent it for $895.00 a month and requires one month security. The hospital and medical offices are located within 20 minutes of the town house. If at all interested contact me at [EMAIL="FRice525@yahoo.com"]FRice525@yahoo.com[/EMAIL].

Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Hi Katmar! I'm also trying to escape LI for beautiful PA. One thing I have learned on these forums is that you want to get a job first before moving, especially in this economy. I have some areas I like, but I'll let the final decision be my work commute and choose a place that's close. I have a couple of threads where I've been able to get housing and utilities pricing and such. I think there was another thread or two on schools, I don't have that worry so it's not something I took notes on. I'm just waiting for a good job to come my way. Then I'll escape the Island too. Good luck to you and congratulations on trying to make a better life for you and your family. LI has nothing to offer anymore.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmar37 View Post
Thanks JAAS for your input, it seems that we're on the same page. I have done alot of school research but I haven't gone as far as talking to the school. Annville-Cleona is also a good school district. I had my heart set on Lancaster but so much has changed for me, it may be unaffordable so I started looking at Lebanon and see it's very close to Hershey which is a good thing for me and anyone in need of good medical care. Let's just hope that it doesn't become too "urbanized" for us who are trying to get out of the rat race of LI and NJ, this NOT how I want to spend the rest of my life.
I would not want to live in Lebanon or Lancaster city. There are so many great small towns right outside of them that putting up with that kind of crime is just not an option for me.

If I were you I would look into Elizabethtown(Elizabethtown School District), PA. You would be 20 minutes from Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Hershey. Mount Joy(Donegal School District) is another nice little town 10 minutes east of E-town.

That would give you plenty of options for jobs and you would have low crime small town living.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,831 times
Wyomissing is beautiful but pricey. Be careful while looking in Berks County. The city of Reading is bad and the issues are spreading beyond it's borders. West Lawn and Shillington are pretty nice towns. I also agree with E-Town. I have friends that live and work there and really like the town. Annville is also a great little town. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,643 times
Thread necro for the lose.

Please.. look at dates before posting. Replying to someone that posted 6 months ago is excessive imo.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Thread necro for the lose.

Please.. look at dates before posting. Replying to someone that posted 6 months ago is excessive imo.
I responded to the OMP because they said they plan on moving within a year, so I thought they were still debating where to go.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 AM

469 posts, read 1,452,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I responded to the OMP because they said they plan on moving within a year, so I thought they were still debating where to go.
Thank you lilitzman! You guys don't know how helpful these posts are.
I am moving to PA next year, but am doing as much research as I can online because:
(1) I have never been to PA and we will not be able to make a house hunting trip before moving (we had planned to do so, but cannot.)
(2) My husband will be working in Sinking Spring - we are looking to rent for a year until our house here sells, so all advise on various surrounding towns is much appreciated. ie: do not live in Reading.

Please, keep posting everyone! All of us seeking information appreciate it more than you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania