Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM

22 posts, read 81,622 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are strongly considering moving back to the cold North! We live in SC now, and the only thing we really love here is the weather. We have family in Lancaster and Allentown, and want to be close to both, but here are the questions:

We want a REALLY good Catholic education for our daughter. Not just strong academics, but strong faith education as well.

We want to be in a very Catholic environment as well. If you know anything about South Carolina, it is very anti-Catholic and very prejudiced. Good cities/areas for this?

Good areas for engineering jobs? We have just started looking and my husband is coming from Michelin, where there is a lot of job security and good benefits.

So far, we like Lancaster area better. What are some of your feelings on the differences between the two?

I know I'm asking too much in this post, but chalk it up to my being new at posting on forums.
Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-SC-NowPA View Post
Hi everyone. We are strongly considering moving back to the cold North! We live in SC now, and the only thing we really love here is the weather. We have family in Lancaster and Allentown, and want to be close to both, but here are the questions:

We want a REALLY good Catholic education for our daughter. Not just strong academics, but strong faith education as well.

We want to be in a very Catholic environment as well. If you know anything about South Carolina, it is very anti-Catholic and very prejudiced. Good cities/areas for this?

Good areas for engineering jobs? We have just started looking and my husband is coming from Michelin, where there is a lot of job security and good benefits.

So far, we like Lancaster area better. What are some of your feelings on the differences between the two?

I know I'm asking too much in this post, but chalk it up to my being new at posting on forums.
Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Jamie
I have heard good things about Lancaster Catholic High School and the elementary schools but there are not many Catholics in Lancaster County. I've even dealt with rude comments about the fact that I'm a practicing Catholic. The education is good but there no Catholic environment. There are a good number of engineering jobs in the Harrisburg area but not as many as in the Philadelphia suburbs. Your husband may have some good opportunies in the Chester County area. The Lehigh Valley job market is real tough right now and has been slowly declining over the years.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM

955 posts, read 4,091,065 times
The Catholic high schools in both Allentown and Bethlehem have very good reputations.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
This map: Center for Workforce Information & Analysis - Home Page shows the unemployment rate for the whole state so the above poster may be right about the Lehigh Valley job market not being that great. That said, I would much rather my husband find a job and then we move (as we've done a few times) as opposed to moving and then looking for a job. As long as you've narrowed it down to two areas of the state, why not see what job looks the most appealing. Our Catholic schools up here are well regarded and of all the areas we've lived in (five states, four counties in PA) there seem to be more practicing Catholics in this area.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,643 times
Yeah.. Lancaster Catholic is a really good high school. I had a few friends that went there. I'd say it's tied for 1st in best high school in the Harrisburg Diocese, the other being McDevitt in Harrisburg.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM

32 posts, read 34,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-SC-NowPA View Post

Lancaster/Central PA is probably one of the least Catholic areas of PA. Lancaster strikes me as more of a fundamentalist evangelical Protestant area. You'd be best to look into the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area...its probably the most Catholic area of PA with lots of options for Catholic Schools.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,621,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu Flung Pu View Post
Lancaster/Central PA is probably one of the least Catholic areas of PA. Lancaster strikes me as more of a fundamentalist evangelical Protestant area. You'd be best to look into the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area...its probably the most Catholic area of PA with lots of options for Catholic Schools.
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...rch_bodies.gif

Actually, Lancaster county is mostly Mennonite. And Dauphin (Harrisburg), Lebanon and Cumberland counties are all predominantly Catholic and in south central PA.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,760 times
I have businesses in BOTH Lancaster and Allentown for the past 30 years. Without a doubt, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area is better for Catholic education. My son's wife's family lives in Bethlehem as well. I grew up in the Reading area - do not go there. Reading, Lebanon, & York are closed communities. Lancaster is great, but half the size of the Lehigh Valley. In the Lehigh Valley you are 90 minutes from New York and 60 minutes from Philadelphia. Very growing and up coming area, but the bottom line, the Catholic experience in the Lehigh Valley is head and shoulders above Lancaster. By the way, I live in Lancaster. Good Luck.

Last edited by Golf114; 07-04-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: forgot details

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM

221 posts, read 994,325 times
Please check out the facts about Catholic education in the Scranton area. They had a massive restructuring of their schools, as did the Allentown Diocese. Many, many schools/parishes have closed. I went to Marywood University, and feel that Scranton has a much stronger Catholic identity than where I live now (Lancaster), and I get the Allentown diocesan newspaper, and it seems like a hoppin' place, as compared to the Harrisburg diocese. But, please, call and find out what your choices are. Restructuring schools is happening everywhere, so, don't panic.

I agree with you. If I was married with kids, I'd work three jobs and never sleep to give my kids a Catholic education. I teach, and the public schools are so focused on testing, it's crazy. I taught in the Archdiocese of Washington, and you cannot even imagine the difference. Not bashing public schools, but, holy cow, the nonsense that goes on in the schools today was unheard of in my little Catholic school. My advice is to call the Dioceses and get the info directly from them. Sorry, I know nothing about the job you seek! Good luck and welcome to PA!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 21,700 times
Lehigh Valley's Catholic High Schools (main ones) are Allentown Central Catholic (tough area in downtown Allentown), Bethlehem Catholic, and Notre Dame-Easton/Green Pond. Any of these areas would have a strong Catholic parishes - mostly because of all of the ethnics attracted to the area by the steel mills.

In Allentown, St. Thomas More is a great parish with great elementary school - thriving would be a good word. Cliquish in a way, but become active and you're quickly part of the clique. My sense is that the LV would be MUCH better than Lancaster for thriving Catholic populations because of the ethnic background.

In Allentown, try Air Products for Engineering or Lutron in Southern Lehigh. Both well-regarded companies with MANY employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania