Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 PM

139 posts, read 366,079 times

Advertisements

Darcy--

I am from PA originally, and while there are many great places there (I don't know as much about eastern PA as about W. PA), please consider Leesburg, VA. It is close to DC, and major airports, and is also close to very rural areas and lots of history (as is PA, I know). There are outlying areas outside of Leesburg, too. There are Purcellville and Hamilton, where I'm sure you could get a house with a nice big yard. When I lived in Hamilton several years ago, there was NO crime. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM

33 posts, read 134,980 times
Try State College. Very nice area, hardly no crime, beautiful setting.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:12 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,887 times
We just moved to State college, and are LOVING it. It has all the benefits of a large university, but in the middle of nowhere! We love the fact there are so many amenities, but you drive 2 miles, and you're in cornfields!
Also, I flew in a couple times to their airport, and the fares were pretty reasonable! We're a 3-5 hour drive to major places like Pittsburg, philly, nyc, DC, etc (or at least I'm told...I don't have a desire to go!)
Good luck!

Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 AM

142 posts, read 578,553 times
I would say Luzerne county. But I grew up here. Wherever you go, if you intend to buy the prices are lower in the winter and fall. There is less demand during those times. There is a buying rush in the spring and summer in NEPA. People who are moving from Ny and NJ are more inclined to make a move when school is out or soon to be out.

I noticed this when I was shopping for a home in Luzerne county last year. It pushes up demand and prices seasonally..

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM

96 posts, read 343,504 times
You may want to consider the York / adams county area. Plenty of single family homes with some yard. One hour from BWI airport and Harrisburg airport. Plenty of shopping close by. But yet you can drive home to some piece and quite. let me know if I can send you some links to the area ...Sharrs

Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandries View Post
Great advice. I was thinking Lancaster, but now I'm seriously thinking about going north or Reading or Allentown.

But when I look for houses, it seems that all of them are row houses.

Anyone live in a row house? I don't think I'd like living that close to my neighbors. I guess I'm a country girl at heart.
I have a large extended family in Reading and not one of them live in a row house. Come to think of it, there aren't row houses in any of their neighborhoods.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 75,048 times
Be warned - there is a lot of crime in Reading, PA. It is ranked in the top 10 or 20 (i think) most dangerous places to live in the US.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
True. It ranks 21st overall nationally and 6th for cities its size.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

But my relatives have had no problems. Just like any city or town, there are safe areas.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have a large extended family in Reading and not one of them live in a row house. Come to think of it, there aren't row houses in any of their neighborhoods.
There are indeed a good portion of row houses in Reading, many of which are in disrepair. There are certainly outskirts that have some nice, single-family homes -- but the neighborhoods closer to the city core are actually known for row homes.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 AM

10 posts, read 57,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandries View Post
I am a writer and I currently live in Illinois. However, I want to move to Virginia or Pennsylvania for several reasons, but I can't decide where I should move.

I don't want to live in a big city, but would like to be within 2 hours of a major airport.

My brother lives in Baltimore, MD, and it would be nice to be able to drive to see him. I may also need to go to Boston, New York, and D.C. on occasion.

I am looking for a house (not a duplex or a row house) with a fenced in yard. Location doesn't matter because I work out of my home. I don't mind having to drive 30 minutes to the store, etc.

I need a safe area.

Anybody got any clues as to where I should look?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Darcy
Lititz should be a top priority. Baltimore is 2 hours south. Harrisburgh airport is 1 hour north. Lancaster airport is 10 minutes south. Boston- 10 hrs north,NYC -5-6 hrs north, DC-1 hr south of Balt ( all by car ) Lititz is all close to malls,grocery,parks,restaurants,etc. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania