Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

For 4 years I had a drivers licence in one state, car insurance and registration in another. I lived in one state to work seasonally for part of the year and needed a DL for my job there, but my permanent place of residence was in the other state so I kept my insurance and rego there.

I did get pulled over a few times for silly things like a light going out or something and when questioned about it said I was doing a temporary job here and was returning to my permanent state afterwords. Didn't have a problem. Also, if absolutely necessary, I could prove I was leaving the state on an exact date due to a contract and temporary housing lease and could prove I had a residence in my home state.

In your case however with there being a maybe of moving in Spring 2009, I'd get a PA drivers licence and rego, especially since you can't prove you have a residence in your home state. It's a pain but probably worth it if there is a hassle. That's my advice, what the legalities are though??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 AM

77 posts, read 336,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
I believe a certified mechanic has to verify the VIN number. I remember having to go to the gas station across the street from AAA to have the guy stamp and sign my traced VIN number. Crazy. I did not need my PA license to register my car. I was in the process of moving here and gave them my new home address. I think we had just closed on the house, but I wasn't living here until 2 months later. That's when I finally could get to DMV to take the test and get my license.
A tracing is adequate, if you can't do a tracing for some reason then a mechanic or notary has to verify the VIN.

My point in all of this, it's not as some suggest, rocket science or reinventing the wheel. Nor is it any more difficult than most other states, in fact it's quite similar, particularly since 9-11. Simply follow the steps provided by Penndot which I listed above. Again, my biggest concern in not registering and obtaining a new license would be insurance. If I weren't going to follow the legal requirements I'd make sure I checked with my insurance carrier as to their requirements. And, I wouldn't go by some oral message I'd want to see in writing in my policy what the carrier requires regarding this. I wouldn't want to give my carrier a reason not to cover me in an accident, that has catastrophic potential and not worth the "hassle" of registration and licensing.

Now perhaps I should defer to someone with more knowledge in this, I'm simply relying on 30 years experience in law enforcement in Pennsylvania.

Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 AM

165 posts, read 663,105 times
I'm confused by all of this insurance talk. If what you are saying is true about not being covered when you aren't in your home state then what happens to people who travel all the times for their jobs, or better example a travel nurse. I worked as a travel nurse for a year and a half and let me tell you that when you start traveling you pick a home residence and that is where you keep your vehicle registered, licensed, and insured. According to my state farm policy I am covered no matter where I am at as long as me or my husband is driving the vehicle.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM

77 posts, read 336,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
I'm confused by all of this insurance talk. If what you are saying is true about not being covered when you aren't in your home state then what happens to people who travel all the times for their jobs, or better example a travel nurse. I worked as a travel nurse for a year and a half and let me tell you that when you start traveling you pick a home residence and that is where you keep your vehicle registered, licensed, and insured. According to my state farm policy I am covered no matter where I am at as long as me or my husband is driving the vehicle.
I don't think anyone said that you're not covered when you aren't in your home state. I said,and I think one or two others may have agreed that your auto insurance carrier may not cover you if you're living in one state but not licensed or have your vehicle registered in that state as required by law. In otherwords, if you live in a certain state, say Pa. beyond the time period when you're required to have a Pa. operator's license and registration and fail to do so, relying instead on your previous state's license and registration, you're in violation of the Pa. motor vehicle code and that would give your insurance carrier justification to not cover you in the event of an accident. If your employment requires that you travel for a living then you aren't establishing residency in the state where you are temporarily employed and living.

I'm not saying that absolutely would happen, I'm simply saying that it's not worth the risk and there are plenty of ways for your insurance carrier to determine where you are actually residing, we all leave a paper trail. If you're in a serious enough accident, say requiring hospitalization, it may be difficult to show you're not actually living and working in Pa. but in another state. It's not worth it, not when obtaining an operator's license and vehicle registration is such a simple process........not to me anyway.

Last edited by WoodturnerMike; 08-13-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,575 times
Insurance companies are interested in where you live (where you park the car at night, not where you drive it during the day so much). So, if you don't have where you live as accurate, you are committing insurance fraud and may not be covered when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania