Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
2 posts, read 15,641 times
Reputation: 10


I recently moved to Philadelphia from South Carolina, and today I called my insurance company to transfer my insurance to PA. Turns out it's going to cost me DOUBLE to insure it here with comparable coverage. Considering I now drive it once a month (tops), it makes more sense for me to sell it. The car is still registered in SC and my driver's license is SC, too.

First question: From what I read on the PDOT website, I should NOT have to register my car in PA to sell it here. What isn't clear is whether I need to have a PA driver's license to do the title transfer business. I know I need to get one eventually but I'd like to get the ball rolling on this ASAP. So, can I sell my car here with an out-of-state license?

Second question: From what I've heard, I'll be much better off putting the car on Craigslist and selling it to an individual. However, if that doesn't work out, would anyone recommend a used car dealership in the Philadelphia area that's trustworthy/won't rip me off?

Thanks in advance! And if anyone's looking for a lovely 2001 RAV4 with 62000 miles on 'er, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Location: AL resident in PA at every oportunity
172 posts, read 609,409 times
Reputation: 152
Your best bet is to call your local DMV. Should be listed by county. To sell, I recommend the Auto Trader. They have catalogs at convenience stores and are online. They've been around for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,970,823 times
Reputation: 304
Pennsylvania's rates are higher because we have deer and we have snow.

Two real problems that you don't have down in South Carolina.

The answer to your questions are - that once you have established a domicile in Pennsylvania, you are required by law to register your vehicle in Pennsylvania and also insure it and change your drivers license to a Pennsylvania drivers license with your present address on it.

Regardless of if you intend to sell it or not.

When you register your vehicle for Pennsylvania, you will need to take your title along with you and they will retitle it with a PA title. Then you are free to sell it to whom ever you please.

Trying to sell a out of state vehicle in Pennsylvania is a real hassle.

If you lived in Pennsylvania and bought a vehicle from another state, you would title it within 15 days of entering Pennsylvania and would have to pay the Pennsylvania sales tax, even though you bought it in another state.

Reconstructed titles in Pennsylvania doesn't always transfer over to other states as being reconstructed, but as soon as you bring it back into Pennsylvania, they put the R back on the title.

So the vehicle history is real important in Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM
2 posts, read 15,641 times
Reputation: 10
Judging by what I've read in PDOT literature, the out-of-state title really shouldn't be a problem... For example, on the "Selling a Car in PA" page, "The following are the acceptable proof of ownership documents:... Out of State Certificate of Title"

Also, just read this here: PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - New Residents "The requirements for Pennsylvania ID do not apply to the seller or sellers of a vehicle. However, this does not exempt the seller or sellers from providing valid government issued photo identification for identification purposes when completing motor vehicle documents as the seller of a vehicle."

Already tried contacting the DMV and just got prompt after prompt with no option to talk to a human. I guess my next step will be to contact one of the On-Line notaries listed on the DMV site and see what their requirements are.

An aside - I'm familiar with deer and snow, having lived in MA before SC. The insurance is so pricey for me specifically because I'm under 25 and live in West Philly. I anticipated a jump, but not a $2k+/year jump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 11:23 PM
135 posts, read 387,244 times
Reputation: 45
Actually it is alot easier than what you would think don't transfer the title to a PA title yet keep it the way it is then when you sell it all you have to do is sign off on it and hand it over then they can transfer it themselves without hassle but if you switch the title to PA you and the new owner have to get together at a notary with both of your ID's and proof of residences and if either of you don't have any of this you may have to come back at another time ,which is a big pain but PA is just covering themselves and their notaries from alot of hassle.
You do have to get your license changed over tho ,you have so many days to do that and PA will fine you so get that done but the title don't do anything yet til you can get it sold ,just let the State know you are in the process of selling it or trading it off ,and just for your info the reason your car went so much is because you moved to Philly ,when you insure a car in a metro area it is always higher when I moved from Reading to a smaller town my insurance actually dropped by a 100 bucks a year plus your deductible makes a difference too don't have one and it will be more expensive have a deductible then your insurance drops ,plus live in a place where crime rate is higher then that makes it go up too and number of claims made in your area also affects it too and depends on who your policy is thru as well there is alot of factors that go into determining your rates plus your car is over seven years old which means that parts for your car will now be more expensive to get factory approved replacement parts since scrap yards won't be keeping them anymore except maybe a u-pull-it yard if your lucky ,so more than likely they will have to go with reconditioned parts or factory .
Best of luck and Welcome to PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top