Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 AM

325 posts, read 582,571 times

Advertisements

I have heard so much about the Wellsboro area of Pa.
I'd like to take a ride out there soon. It's about 3 1/2 hrs. 180 mi. from where I now live (NJ).
Can anyone recommend a motel for a one night stay. I hope my wife and I can get a good first impression of the area. Possible relocation soon.
We may even head out there this week-end if the weather is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 AM

94 posts, read 346,346 times
We spent Vallentines weekend there, our third trip there as a couple, but my sixth time there overall.

As far as recommending a hotel, depends on what you are looking for. If its simple and ultra affordable, try the Canyon Hotel. Something a bit nicer, the Penn Wells hotel is right in the heart of the town.

We love to stay at Bed and Breakfasts, and I highly recommend La Bell Au Berge. The owners name is Nell Rounsaville, and she also owns the popular Wellsboro Diner. It seems the website must be down for the moment, but here is the address and phone number for you.

129 Main Street Wellsboro**PA**USA**16901
* 1 570 724-3288*

We went downhill skiing at nearby Denton Hill and enjoyed dinning at "Timeless Destinations" and "The Steakhouse". Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I have heard so much about the Wellsboro area of Pa.
I'd like to take a ride out there soon. It's about 3 1/2 hrs. 180 mi. from where I now live (NJ).
Can anyone recommend a motel for a one night stay. I hope my wife and I can get a good first impression of the area. Possible relocation soon.
We may even head out there this week-end if the weather is good.
It really is a very nice area to both visit and live. I've always enjoyed riding the Tioga Central train ride. The horse-drawn wagon rides along the bottom of the PA Grand Canyon are also nice, and the scenery is truly beautiful in any season.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

The Penn-Wells Hotel right on the main drag through town is very nice.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM

76 posts, read 366,048 times
we stayed at craigs log cabin the last couple of times we went to wellsboro. it is seriously in the middle of no where by itself. the most beautiful way to get away from everyone.
Craig's Log Cabin

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,779 times
We have visited there alot in the last two years. Where you want to stay depends on the experience you want. We have camped at Stony fork which is outside of Wellsboro, Highly recommend it !If you like the camp scene. We also stayed in town at the Sherwood Motel which is right in Wellsboro It was very nice and clean and inexpensive. The owners were very nice. There are also alot of bed and breakfast in the area. I can tell you the people are so friendly and welcoming, and the area is breath taking. Good luck , you wont regret going.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM

325 posts, read 582,571 times
Default My stay in wellsboro

Just got back today. We spent the last 3 days and nights at the Colton Point Hotel. Very nice, clean motel. The owners are great. Rates are very reasonable.
We enjoyed our trip. Love the town. Hills like we have never seen before. So glad we went. Like everyone says the people are polite. They always say hello and good morning. Very quaint town.
At noon everyday, a beautiful church place music for 1/2 hour.

We want to go back probably the 3rd week of December. NJ and Penn. deer seasons will be over, just before Christmas, might be early for the snowmobilers.
Hope Main Street in Wellsboro will be decorated.
Can't wait!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
I rode there last week. Rt. 6 is bikers heaven. Make sure you book ahead. I was surprised how booked the town was for no special reason. Some motels look creepy though so make sure you have someone's recommendation first. I stayed at Canyon.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Just got back today. We spent the last 3 days and nights at the Colton Point Hotel. Very nice, clean motel. The owners are great. Rates are very reasonable.
We enjoyed our trip. Love the town. Hills like we have never seen before. So glad we went. Like everyone says the people are polite. They always say hello and good morning. Very quaint town.
At noon everyday, a beautiful church place music for 1/2 hour.

We want to go back probably the 3rd week of December. NJ and Penn. deer seasons will be over, just before Christmas, might be early for the snowmobilers.
Hope Main Street in Wellsboro will be decorated.
Can't wait!
The time to come is for the Dickens festival. Everything is decorated with plenty of festivities. Main Street gets shut from the courthouse to the rt 6 intersection. Probably a hundred vendors with thousands of people. Mostly arts and crafts type things, not my interest, but it's a nice atmosphere.

Keep in mind after that festival passes, town really quiets down in December especially at night. The closer you get to Christmas, more stores and restaurants have short hours or are closed all together. I've seen some tourists with bemused looks on their faces with everything or nearly everything shut down at night or restaurants closed at 8pm.

Main Street is very beautiful at night and is decorated. Usually the decorations don't come down until a few days after New Years. Many people will leave their lights up as well, well into the winter.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I rode there last week. Rt. 6 is bikers heaven. Make sure you book ahead. I was surprised how booked the town was for no special reason. Some motels look creepy though so make sure you have someone's recommendation first. I stayed at Canyon.
The town has been very busy this summer. I usually have to take side roads to divert around traffic at main street. IMHO I think the economy nationwide is not in a recession, just ambling along and I think people are watching their money, so the more expensive vacations are out and people are doing more local vacations. The Wellsboro area has a lot of outdoor activities and the weather is more pleasant than lower elevated areas. The bike trail is a big attraction, the train, the canyon, a little bit of shopping, canoe trips, etc. If one is outdoor minded, you can bring a family up here for an inexpensive vacation.

The Canyon Motel on Hwy 6. It's an older motel, I've never stayed there, but I have a local gym membership to use the gym and pool and I have to say they are always busy keeping everything cleaned and maintained and painted. So that has to be a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania