Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 29,536 times

Advertisements

How many waterspouts on average does erie get down near the island or you can see from erie want to get a video or picture

Last edited by ozzy11340; 02-14-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,188 times
Not very often, once every couple years. You're better off running into one down in Florida. Why would you want to even get that close to a tornado over water anyway?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 70,849 times
By "down near the island", I'm assuming you are referring to off the shore of Presque Isle peninsula. As dugdogmater said, not too often there. But further out into Lake Erie, they occur quite often during summer thunderstorms passing over the lake. You can definitely see them from higher points in the city/Millcreek Township.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasthustla View Post
By "down near the island", I'm assuming you are referring to off the shore of Presque Isle peninsula. As dugdogmater said, not too often there. But further out into Lake Erie, they occur quite often during summer thunderstorms passing over the lake.
Most of this is not true. Waterspouts are often seen in the fall, rather than the spring, when cold fronts come across the warmer waters of Lake Erie. I can't remember a year while living in Erie (over 36 years) when I did not see one.

Can they be seen from Presque Isle? Depending on which side of the peninsula you are on. On the Presque Isle Bay side, you can see approx 8-10 miles to the east, and you can see approximately that far out to the northern horizon. On the Lake Erie side, you can see approximately the same distance to the west and again, across the northern horizon. And FYI, we were on a late fall dinner cruise on Presque Isle Bay when a waterspout touched down west of Dobbins Landing; because of this we were not able to set out for our cruise and remained moored for the entire event.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,024 times
On a good day, we can see the cooling towers on the Canadian side of the lake from our deck. In 14 years here, I've only seen one waterspout. I don't spend all my time watching the lake, so I'm sure there were more than that.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Most of this is not true. Waterspouts are often seen in the fall, rather than the spring, when cold fronts come across the warmer waters of Lake Erie. I can't remember a year while living in Erie (over 36 years) when I did not see one.

Can they be seen from Presque Isle? Depending on which side of the peninsula you are on. On the Presque Isle Bay side, you can see approx 8-10 miles to the east, and you can see approximately that far out to the northern horizon. On the Lake Erie side, you can see approximately the same distance to the west and again, across the northern horizon. And FYI, we were on a late fall dinner cruise on Presque Isle Bay when a waterspout touched down west of Dobbins Landing; because of this we were not able to set out for our cruise and remained moored for the entire event.
What is not true? Yes, waterspouts do occur in the fall as well, but the warmest lake waters of the summer months (late June, July, August, September) spawn the most waterspouts when cold fronts pass over the lake. And who said anything about seeing them in the spring? No one, but you.

And yes, you can see them from Presque Isle, but the original poster asked how many they get "down near the island". Not as many waterspouts occur close to Presque Isle as they do further out in the lake due to the prevailing wind patterns on the lake near Presque Isle. If numerous waterspouts occurred very close to Presque Isle often, the peninsula would be battered by frequent touchdowns causing extensive, highly-visible damage to vegetation (and even coastline structure). The ones that occur further out in the lake are viewed more clearly from higher elevations than from the peninsula due to the increased visual field and absence of lake level rain causing Rayleigh scattering during a thuderstorm event.

Here are a few videos.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
What is not true? Yes, waterspouts do occur in the fall as well, but the warmest lake waters of the summer months (late June, July, August, September) spawn the most waterspouts when cold fronts pass over the lake. And who said anything about seeing them in the spring? No one, but you.
I mistyped and meant summer, not spring. And that's what I meant is not true, I lived in Erie over 36 years and you rarely see them any other time other than the Fall.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I mistyped and meant summer, not spring. And that's what I meant is not true, I lived in Erie over 36 years and you rarely see them any other time other than the Fall.
I doesn't matter how long you lived in Erie, your statement is incorrect. YOU may not see them any time other than fall, but waterspouts occur most often in August and September. So, yes, waterspouts do occur in the early fall (late Sept/early Oct), but rarely beyond then, as lake water temps. are no longer high enough to spawn them with relative consistency. I know this from being required to view NOAA mariner's weather logs every day while I was stationed in Erie with the Coast Guard.

source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Wade Szilagyi, Program Manager Meteorologist, Meteorological Service of Canada, Toronto

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I doesn't matter how long you lived in Erie, your statement is incorrect. YOU may not see them any time other than fall, but waterspouts occur most often in August and September. So, yes, waterspouts do occur in the early fall (late Sept/early Oct), but rarely beyond then, as lake water temps. are no longer high enough to spawn them with relative consistency. I know this from being required to view NOAA mariner's weather logs every day while I was stationed in Erie with the Coast Guard.

source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Wade Szilagyi, Program Manager Meteorologist, Meteorological Service of Canada, Toronto
Ok "hustla", looks like your spring and summer comment wasn't correct either.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Have never seen one.

Of course, when the weather is favorable for the formation of such phenomena, everyone with common sense is hunkering down in their basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania