Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 AM

70 posts, read 437,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are thinking of moving to the Doylestown area. Question...Is there any easy way to get to NYC from there? I've read that Newtown is a do-able commute to NYC. He only would have to commute once in a while..not everyday.

How is Doylestown? Schools are of utmost importance...

Newtown? Any info on that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 214,867 times
I'm a native New Yorker now living in Doylestown and I LOVE it here. The schools are great and housing is very reasonable if not downright cheap as compared to NY metro area. As far as getting to New York, Newtown is a great town as well with equally good schools and is close to I95 for a faster commute to NY than Doylestown. I much prefer Doylestown Borough as an actual "town" but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Hi-can you tell me the difference between Doylestown borough vs township?Is housing more expensive in one area over another?When you say cheap,that's compared to NY,others are saying it's so expensive!What all do you love about it,besides the schools?We are thinking of moving there,I know the schools are great,but we need to know if the cost of living will be too high.Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Default High Crime?!

I read on another post LK that you thought Doylestown has a high crime rate?! Is that true?

We are native NY'ers looking to get away from the rat race.. Of course, we'll still have to spend 500k on a house, but we going to get so much more for our money...schools and friendly neighborhoods are our number one priority.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbdirect View Post
I'm a native New Yorker now living in Doylestown and I LOVE it here. The schools are great and housing is very reasonable if not downright cheap as compared to NY metro area. As far as getting to New York, Newtown is a great town as well with equally good schools and is close to I95 for a faster commute to NY than Doylestown. I much prefer Doylestown Borough as an actual "town" but that's just my opinion.
I find it fascinating that people commute from NYC to live in Doylestown. There has to be dozens of towns in NJ that are comparable to Doylestown with less than half the commute time to NYC.

Arent there communities in New Brunswick or the outskirts of Princeton and Lawrenceville that are just as cheap as Doylestown. What am I missing here?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
there was one site that I saw that had Doylestown a "6" for crime rate [out of 10] I have since looked other places online that have it low[?] Not sure even where the first one was,or why the differences.Also,Rainrock has a point.We live in Wi ,and after very quick research,I assumed NJ was too expensive.If we can find an area with the same cost of living as Doylestown with equally great schools,we might as well have a shorter commute to Newark.I have not even set foot in Doylestown[or all of Bucks Co. for that matter]so I'm trying to get a handle on things before coming out there to narrow down some real prospects for home searches.As I asked in another post,what is it that makes Doylestown soooo expensive?Is it just home prices and property tax?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I find it fascinating that people commute from NYC to live in Doylestown. There has to be dozens of towns in NJ that are comparable to Doylestown with less than half the commute time to NYC.

Arent there communities in New Brunswick or the outskirts of Princeton and Lawrenceville that are just as cheap as Doylestown. What am I missing here?
I guess it's the wonderful, welcoming folks like yourself that we just can't resist!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Hi-can you tell me the difference between Doylestown borough vs township?Is housing more expensive in one area over another?When you say cheap,that's compared to NY,others are saying it's so expensive!What all do you love about it,besides the schools?We are thinking of moving there,I know the schools are great,but we need to know if the cost of living will be too high.Thanks!

In Pa., not 100% of the time but in many cases there are a group of boroughs and towns that combine to make up a township. In this case the small borough of Doylestown just happens to be a small part of a township that shares the same name.

The township of Doylestown may be, say 15 sq. miles but Doylestown borough may only be 1 or 2 sq. miles. Doylestown borough is a small town with a main street, post office, schools etc whereas Doylestown Township is an accumulation of towns and acres of farmland,forest etc..

Towns, villages+ boroughs combine to makeup townships. Townships, cities, seperate singular boroughs/towns make up counties.

Doylestown borough and township is fairly diverse in regards to cost of living. If you want a $5 million dollar mansion you'll find it. If you are looking for a 3 bedroom single home in the $200's-300's you can find that as well.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-07-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livindoll View Post
I guess it's the wonderful, welcoming folks like yourself that we just can't resist!

Welcome, there's plenty of room in Pa for NY commuters. My intention wasn't to be unhospitable, I was merely interested in why the western towns of NJ seem to get bypassed quite often by metro Nyers looking to relocate to Pa.

Don't get me wrong Bucks County is a great place to raise a family but so is Lawrenceville, Lambertville and Princeton and it would cut your commute in half.

Good luck and I wish I could be of more help but I live in the western suburbs of Philly and i don't know much aobout Doylestown. I do know that crime shouldn't be an issue whatsoever from what I have heard and looking at the economc data of the area.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 PM

46 posts, read 214,867 times
Default Doylestown

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Doylestown is the county seat of Bucks County. The borough, like noted elsewhere, is small and basically the "downtown" area. Many restaurants, a few beautiful museums, single homes of all sizes primarily with small lots...a vital ...nice town. Doylestown Township surrounds the borough and consists primarily of 4 bedroom colonials with an acre of land if built 20+ years ago in the 450-500k range plus a variety of new McMansion estate homes being built on former farmland for 650k+. Doylestown has a wonderful athletic association for the kids, great parks and being the county seat...too many lawyers. There are 2 malls within 20 minutes...many supermarkets and a new Wegman's 5 miles away.

Taxes as compared to NJ are low and that's the reason I don't recommend NJ. My sister pays double what I do Medford, NJ which is similar to Doylestown for smaller property and more congestion...Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania