Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: favorite university and why? then tell about town located in
Lock Haven 0 0%
Edinboro 1 4.00%
Slippery Rock 1 4.00%
Clarion 1 4.00%
Mansfield 0 0%
Pitt Bradford 1 4.00%
Gannon 1 4.00%
Penn State 15 60.00%
Indiana U of PA 5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times

Advertisements

Penn State, because I did some of my Masters there and worked at an engineering firm there for four years. State College is a very nice small town, a place with a lot of character. What I didn't like was that it felt secluded. Felt like a major effort to drive to any major city (Pittsburgh, Philly, DC). NY was 4 hours. Good place to be if you want to get away from it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM

11 posts, read 52,920 times
I don't know how you can say that PSU fans have no class....have you ever been to an OSU or Michigan game? THEY are classless. They trash the areas they tailgate in, they are rude and pushy and are not a welcomed fan base.

I went to PSU main campus for two years. I had maybe 3 classes that were very large auditorium classes but the rest had very few kids. When you get into your majors, the class size shrinks like crazy. I love that town. Everyone is wonderful to each other and there is such a sense of pride and togetherness in that community. I would love to live there. Not only is it a great place to party (how can you loose with 15 bars on one street?) but it is a beautiful town.

I have had many comments about how great it is to have my degree from PSU from employers. Even some friends of mine that went elsewhere to smaller schools (Edinboro, SRU) regret going to the schools they did because people from bigger state schools with a bigger name are passing them by for jobs. It is a highly regarded degree to hold.

GO NITTANY LIONS!!!!!! (and can't forget about the fabulous football

Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,222 times
My only experience with tOSU and UMich is at a UMich hockey game in AA, which wasn't very welcoming, but 'Happy' Valley was significantly worse.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
State schools. Meh........

Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM

lol?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM

416 posts, read 712,994 times
I'd like to put in a good word for the University of Pennsylvania. Tremendous scholarship, history, and economic impact.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM

54 posts, read 225,960 times
So what some of you are saying is that employers actually look at where u graduate college. like now i kinda wanna go to Pitt - Bradford. would that get the same recognition as the Pitt - Main campus or a better recognition then edinboro or IUP??? just because its part of the University of Pittsburgh?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan D View Post
So what some of you are saying is that employers actually look at where u graduate college. like now i kinda wanna go to Pitt - Bradford. would that get the same recognition as the Pitt - Main campus or a better recognition then edinboro or IUP??? just because its part of the University of Pittsburgh?
No, it would not get you the same recognition as Pitt.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,436 times
IUP is a party school, (not like Edinboro isn't), but if you're not going for an art or teaching degree, I would goto Pitt main. If you were going for an artistic degree or teaching degree, goto Edinboro

Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
When I toured Kutztown with my son they told us that the majority of the people that teach art in public schools in PA, graduated from Kutztown.

Dylan, you do realize that there is different grade criteria at the Main campuses and the off shoot campuses right? Many of the kids are going to the off shoot campuses because they can't get in the Main campus. If you have the grades to get into Pitt or PSU then you should just get your application in. PSU has rolling admissions and your chance of going to main campus goes down the longer you wait.

Have you visited any of the colleges? By visiting you'll see the difference. Take the tour, have lunch in the dining hall and think about if you would feel comfortable there. Ask the school questions about job placement - they usually like to tout those numbers if they are good ones. If you are interested in teaching, it's best to go to school closer to where you want to teach so you can student teach in area schools and they will get to know you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania