Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times

Advertisements

My insurance company advises against the teens having their own policy, it is MUCH more expensive for them to have their own and you are still financially responsible for their actions as they are minors. It doesn't matter if they have their own policy, you can still be sued as the parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 09:16 PM

84 posts, read 317,671 times
Oh, as far as them getting their own insurance so that you don't loose your house if anything happens, does anyone know anyone or have ever heard of anyone loosing their home due to a car accident?? "

New Jersey was, and I am pretty sure still is, a state where people will sue you at the drop of a hat. You may not loose your home due to their car accident, but if a teenager injures someone or does enough damage, the other driver may sue you for everything you are worth. Thus, you could be responsible for what your child does if they are on your policy and yes, you could loose your house and everything you own if the other party gets the right lawyer and wins. I hope this explains a little better what I meant. I had two teenagers get their licenses within a year of each other. Although it cost more, we moved each of them to their own policies as soon as possible. When my son got his first speeding ticket and realized it reflected on him and his policy alone, he quickly changed his driving habits. Our policy remained clean. This may not be the solution for everyone.....but it worked for us.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 PM

I understand what you are saying, really I do, but have you ever heard of anyone lossing their house?? I know they can sue you, but it hardly ever goes past what your insurance covers. My cousin sitting in the nursing home is proof of that.
And I understand what you are saying by getting your kids their own policy, but even if they have their own policy which you will pay considerably more for, you can still be sued for the action of the minors living in your home, whether or not they have their own policy or are on your policy.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:06 AM

84 posts, read 317,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I understand what you are saying, really I do, but have you ever heard of anyone lossing their house?? I know they can sue you, but it hardly ever goes past what your insurance covers. My cousin sitting in the nursing home is proof of that.
And I understand what you are saying by getting your kids their own policy, but even if they have their own policy which you will pay considerably more for, you can still be sued for the action of the minors living in your home, whether or not they have their own policy or are on your policy.
I LOVE PA!
I just realized that you and I are probably talking about teenagers of different ages. ('minors' being the key word; I was talking about older teens since I think you said your daughter is 19.) In New Jersey, my kids could not get a driver's license until they were 17 yrs. old. For one year we held control of the cars (they were ours, not theirs) and held our breath. By age 18, they were on their own policies and in the process of buying their own used cars. It is my understand you are an adult at age 18. Therefore, you are responsible for your own actions. It is also my understanding that just because they are still living at home or at college, does not mean the parent is responsible for what they do. I think because you said your daughter was 19 I was refering to the older teen. If a child gets their license at age 16 or 17 then I agree, the parent is still responsible for their childrens' actions and you are most certainly correct. You are also corrrect that getting their own policy is very expensive. Our children paid part of it and we helped for a while with the other part. However, from our point of view, it was a lot less expensive then what could happen if they got in serious trouble. Our son did get involved in an accident when he was about 19 but it never affected my husband's and my insurance rates or insurance reputation. Our son got points, his insurance rates went up. He also learned a valuable lesson. I hope I am explaining this correctly. I am truly sorry about what happened to your cousin. That is very sad.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times
In theory, at least, if the kids are responsible for their own policies and made to understand the seriousness/ liability of that fact, they might drive more responsibly....even if mums and dadums are helping them foot the bill....

Yet, as my friend the psychoanalyst (lovingly) says..." All teenagers are psychotic 'til they're 21".

It's their job and predisposition......

Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
....Since I have to drive her back and forth to work, she will be doing some of my usual household chores ...
If she was in NC, the patrolman would have taken her license on the spot and quite possibly arrested her. She is lucky.... I'm curious - why are YOU driving her to work? Seems like you're the one being inconvenienced by this..... When my youngest did his stupid kid trick , (not speeding - something stupid-er, if that's a word) his points stayed on the books for three years. The state would not take his license (at my request), so I took his license. He had to find his way back and forth to college (4 hours away) and his job there. Public transportation can be brutal.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:14 PM

I live in the country, there is NO public transportation whatsoever. She works 30 miles from home, if she doesn't show up, she looses her job, then can't help pay for her car and car insurance, which needs to be paid whether she is driving or not, so that is why it becomes my punishment too.

As far as the age at which you become an adult, that is questionable...
here in Pa, you can't drink or gamble till 21, and I still claim her as a dependent at 19, so I think she is technically my responsibility still.
Believe me, I understand what she did was wrong, I completely 'get' all the implications, I am not trying t defend her actions, I was just wondering how it will haunt us in the future and to what extent financially.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
I live in the country, there is NO public transportation whatsoever. She works 30 miles from home, if she doesn't show up, she looses her job, then can't help pay for her car and car insurance, which needs to be paid whether she is driving or not, so that is why it becomes my punishment too.

As far as the age at which you become an adult, that is questionable...
here in Pa, you can't drink or gamble till 21, and I still claim her as a dependent at 19, so I think she is technically my responsibility still.
Believe me, I understand what she did was wrong, I completely 'get' all the implications, I am not trying t defend her actions, I was just wondering how it will haunt us in the future and to what extent financially.
Be sure to turn on the guilt as well! I think it's 21 for everything any more, but if she's a full-time student, your health insurance will cover her until she graduates..... She will be able to get her own policy at regular-for-her-age rates if she doesn't do any more stupid stuff; I bet she's grateful to you and won't do this again. Epilogue: the son who did the stupid kid trick - applied to work and he had to declare his little misdemeanor driving thing (did I say that it was a stupid kid trick yet?) and almost lost the job. This was after the points were gone after 3 years.
I am so sorry to read about your cousin -how awful!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 PM

10 posts, read 82,503 times
i find it hard that the parent would still be held responsible when the kid has their own policy. how many parents are held responsible and made to pay for the little criminals that are out there destroying property, etc.

the purpose of the insurance policy is to protect you again injury to anyone in your car or property you damage. in pa, they only have to get a minimal policy having 15/30 limits and a high deductible to make the policy more affordable.

how about other family members that might live in your house (aunt, uncle, grandparent), have their own policy -- can the injured party really come again the homeowner? no.

if a kid isn't responsible enough to drive or respect the rules, take the license, drop them from your policy and let them be on their own and suffer their own consequences. it builds character when they learn and the lesson winds up being self taught at their own expense.

if they can't get to their job, get another one that is closer to home. or better yet, take a cab and pay for the transportation themself.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:06 PM

142 posts, read 578,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
The fact that she is 19 and had this happen is bad...a friend of mine's brother had this happen to him and the insurance didn't raise their rates but simply refused to insure him unless he got "high risk" insurance which is about triple what regular insurance is just for liability! (this was because of his young age and the whole "extreme speed"/lost license issue.)

If insurance checks I would expect at least a 20% increase that will last 3 years from the date of the violation.

... 70 in a 35? Are you sure she's responsible enough to drive? I know very few 35 mph roads where 70 would even be attainable around here. That is just blatant recklessness. Be thankful they didn't charge her with a criminal reckless driving charge.

PA is odd in that there is no standard definition of that. In many states, 25 over the posted limit is a guaranteed trip to jail and criminal charges. I know in AZ where I used to live that 26 over in some of the counties there the cops will throw you in jail quick and you'll have to pray they reduce it to a civil penalty. Be glad she's still alive.
Here in Fla, they would have pulled her license on the spot! The best thing that could happen to this child (and her next victim) would be to keep her off of the road. Yet the parent says 'oh well we have to move on'..
The fact that she drove like this in the first place is telling. Straight stretch of road?, running late ??, mom sounds like an enabler. How about loading up on life insurance while you're being her buddy instead of mom..??? At least you can profit from your friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania