Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

17 posts, read 45,260 times

Advertisements

I live in NY right now, and I hate where I live. (Poughkeepsie, NY) My Grandparents lived in Pa, and the BF and I are thinking about moving there. I was looking into Harrisburg, but I don't think that's "The One" anymore.

I'm thinking maybe York or Wilkes-Barre. How are those areas?

Any other suggestions?.... I'm looking for areas that would have countryish apartments on the outskirts of a cute, fun city, that's safe! (I don't drive, so access to a bus is a MUST!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
How old are you and your BF? Do you/are you planning on having kids? Would you prefer to be on the outskirts of a big or medium sized city? What sort of amenities are you looking for in your area? Define 'fun' city?

PA is pretty diverse in terms of what cities, places offer. Answer these questions first.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm 23, my BF is 25. We do want kids some day! I'm looking for a safe city, size doesn't really matter. A city that has job oppurtunities, but is afforable. Public transportation is a MUST! I really do want to live in a countryish setting (with a pool!), and be a bus ride away from a city. Musuems, parks, a mall, theaters, ANYTHING. We're also looking to spend up to $650/mo. I'm looking into York and Wilkes-Barre, but want to hear what else is out there! (As well as feedback about those areas)

The BF and I are just looking for a fresh start. A fun city is a city that's safe, affordable. It's Main Street isn't full of dirtbags. It's clean. It has something interesting to do, weather it's a musuem or a walk or in a park. We're not big on the night scene, but a few things to do when the sun sets would be nice!

We don't want to move any further then York. You say Pa is pretty diverse in terms of what cities have to offer. I want to hear it all! I have NO idea where I'm going! I just know that I have 5 months to move, and I'm 85& sure that I'm going to Pa!!!! 8-) (Talk about drastic! lol)

Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I was thinking of Bethlehem until I saw that you don't want to spend more then $650 a month. I don't know how you can have a countryish setting (pool included) but live a bus ride away from a city. The thing about living outside of a city is you usually don't have public transportation. If you have a pool, you are going to be paying more then $650 a month. You might be able to find an fixer upper house in the country or a twin in a small town or a small apartment in a city but what you're looking for seems awfully unrealistic IMHO. I'm guessing that Poughkeepsie is about the same price range as Wilkes-Barre. You might have better luck posting this in the Northeast forum also.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM

I'll echo what toobusy said...it's difficult to find a place in the country that is a bus ride away from the city. Most ideal country settings, such as places in and around Huntingdon and Lewisburg/Sunbury/Selinsgrove do not offer public transport.

However, you do have a few choices.

State College has a great public transportation system (CATA.. website: http://www.catabus.com ) that does extend into the countryside surrounding the more populated area. Since you're still young, you would have plenty of fun places to go in downtown...and if you plan to have children someday, they have a great school system.

Lancaster also has a good public transportation system... review the county maps on this page: Red Rose Transit Authority- Transit System Map (http://www.redrosetransit.com/pages/index.php?pID=43 - broken link) for places on bus routes.

Also, check Endless Mountain Transportation Authority - Home ...this bus system runs through the less populated counties of Tioga, Bradford, and Sullivan in far Northern PA. It offers occasional trips to Williamsport and the Lycoming Mall.

Welcome to the website of the Area Transportation Authority of North Central Pennsylvania (http://www.atatrans.com/ - broken link) offers bus service in another 6-county area in North Central PA, including Bradford in McKean County.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Well, I've been looking on apartments.com. I've found a TON of places that offer country-style living on the outskirts of cities, with a pool! The Brook at Colonial Park is on the outskirts of Harrisburg. It's on 38 acres, has a pool, and I get a 1 BR starting at $499! And it's on a bus route as well! I also checked with neighborhoodscout.com, and it's in a safe neighborhood. I have many other places bookmarked!

I've also found LANTA, Rabbit transit, LCTA, and more! Thanks for the links, that's what I'm looking for! I'm posting because I can only find out so much online. I'm hoping that maybe someone who lives in Pa could tell even more!!!! (Fill me in about different cities!) I only have 3 areas in mind. What else is there! A pool and a country setting isn't a must-have. 8-)

Also, where I live, it's very pricey. People are living here and commuting to NYC, thus raising the rent. The cheapest places are in bad areas. And the deposit upfront is usually first, last and first months' rent. I'm very surprised to find that most places only want $200, or only first months' rent and security! The BF and I are NOT staying here!!!! We are looking into Albany as well, and I have all the info I need on that!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineLenore View Post
Well, I've been looking on apartments.com. I've found a TON of places that offer country-style living on the outskirts of cities, with a pool! The Brook at Colonial Park is on the outskirts of Harrisburg. It's on 38 acres, has a pool, and I get a 1 BR starting at $499! And it's on a bus route as well! I also checked with neighborhoodscout.com, and it's in a safe neighborhood. I have many other places bookmarked!

I've also found LANTA, Rabbit transit, LCTA, and more! Thanks for the links, that's what I'm looking for! I'm posting because I can only find out so much online. I'm hoping that maybe someone who lives in Pa could tell even more!!!! (Fill me in about different cities!) I only have 3 areas in mind. What else is there! A pool and a country setting isn't a must-have. 8-)

Also, where I live, it's very pricey. People are living here and commuting to NYC, thus raising the rent. The cheapest places are in bad areas. And the deposit upfront is usually first, last and first months' rent. I'm very surprised to find that most places only want $200, or only first months' rent and security! The BF and I are NOT staying here!!!! We are looking into Albany as well, and I have all the info I need on that!
I'm certain you'd be able to find a pool and a country setting in both State College and outside of Lancaster. One of the good things about State College is that you would definitely be able to find somewhere affordable, but safe to live.

I can't speak much about the far northern mountains of PA, but I can tell you that area is beautiful and in a very country/rural setting. If you did choose to go there, I'm sure you'd be able to find an affordable place along or near a bus route that goes to one of the cities.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,273,345 times
Wilkes-Barre is decent, and is enjoying a rebirth right now. Many good things have been revitalizing the city. It is cheap, and has the lowest crime rate out of the three you have mentioned. It is also the closest to your home town. I am not sure you can find something that cheap with a pool though, but there are alot of Public pools in and around the city. We have all the ammenities of a large city, but on a smaller scale. AAA sport teams, regional and national entertainment, skiing, museums ect. Plus there are two colleges in our downtown, so our downtown has a youthful vibe right now. The bad thing about Northeast, Pa. right now is the job scene. There isn't much happening here in the job dept right now, but I guess it depends on what you do. I'll find you some apartment complexes you might be interested in.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Here is one Gateway Manor Apartments - Edwardsville, PA - The Manor Group

Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 PM

here is another East Mountain Apartments - Wilkes-Barre, PA - The Manor Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania