Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM

87 posts, read 409,274 times

Advertisements

My son is crazy about wildlife and I would love to be able to go on a hike where we have a good chance of seeing beavers. We live in York and don't plan on being here on the East Coast more than 2 more years before moving back to the West Coast where we only have beavers in zoos . Any help is greatly appreciated! We are willing to drive about an hour or so to get to a good spot if we need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 PM

142 posts, read 578,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-PA-TX? View Post
My son is crazy about wildlife and I would love to be able to go on a hike where we have a good chance of seeing beavers. We live in York and don't plan on being here on the East Coast more than 2 more years before moving back to the West Coast where we only have beavers in zoos . Any help is greatly appreciated! We are willing to drive about an hour or so to get to a good spot if we need to.
I came to Florida years ago 'cause there were more beavers here. Your son is not the only one who is crazy about them. I'll drive a long way for some beaver..

Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
I came to Florida years ago 'cause there were more beavers here. Your son is not the only one who is crazy about them. I'll drive a long way for some beaver..
Somehow I knew this was going to pop up! LOL!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Somehow I knew this was going to pop up! LOL!
Yeah you don't know how many times I wrote out my original post to try to make it sound g-rated

We got some good laughs when we were hiking in Maryland by the river and my son was practically yelling "I want to see beavers. I thought Maryland was full of beavers!" lol....

Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Get off the beavers and get back on topic :P
Yac.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
About 12 miles north of Scranton is the town of Mayfield....and Mayfield was the home on TV of this kid:

http://www.antiquetalk.com/beaver2.jpg (broken link)

Just watch out that Eddie Haskell or Lumpy don't give you the business.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
Default Beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-PA-TX? View Post

It will be tough to actually see them live in the wild as they are extremely wary, but not so tough to find a dam, house, and tree cuttings. I could point you to such a place in NE PA, near Mountaintop, but thats probably well over an hour away.
If you are adventurous, find a gamelands or state forest near you that has some swampy areas and go on a scouting trip. Buy the DeLormes guide to Pennsylvania from Barnes and Noble or equivalent to find maps.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
It will be tough to actually see them live in the wild as they are extremely wary, but not so tough to find a dam, house, and tree cuttings. I could point you to such a place in NE PA, near Mountaintop, but thats probably well over an hour away.
If you are adventurous, find a gamelands or state forest near you that has some swampy areas and go on a scouting trip. Buy the DeLormes guide to Pennsylvania from Barnes and Noble or equivalent to find maps.
Thanks. I think he'd be just as happy to see their evidence. Everytime we see a few logs in the river he gets excited and asks if it is a dam. Thanks for the book rec. We have been looking for something along those lines. It should help us out a lot.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Have you taken your son to Nixon Park near Jacobus? It's been quite awhile since my field trip days with school, but I remember an interesting nature center and nice trails.

Maybe someone there could give you some info about beaver dams around York County....if there are any.

Indian Steps down around Airville used to be an interesting stop for kids. Haven't been there in many years.

How about a stroll on the Railtrail on Indian Rock Dam Road? The creek is much cleaner now than when I was a kid.

Or as a last resort, you could take him in town, and show him the Beaver St. signs. Explain that all the beavers who lived there have moved away since so many people moved in. Then take him into Central Market and treat him to a fun lunch.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Have you taken your son to Nixon Park near Jacobus? It's been quite awhile since my field trip days with school, but I remember an interesting nature center and nice trails.

Maybe someone there could give you some info about beaver dams around York County....if there are any.

Indian Steps down around Airville used to be an interesting stop for kids. Haven't been there in many years.

How about a stroll on the Railtrail on Indian Rock Dam Road? The creek is much cleaner now than when I was a kid.

Or as a last resort, you could take him in town, and show him the Beaver St. signs. Explain that all the beavers who lived there have moved away since so many people moved in. Then take him into Central Market and treat him to a fun lunch.
Wow all great ideas! We have yet to go over to Nixon Park but he has been with school. I never thought to ask them there, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania