Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM

42 posts, read 177,474 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am orginally (from the age of 3) from Trevorton. My maiden name is Schwartz, maybe some one here knows my brother Michael. You may even know my sister-in-law Liz Schwartz. She's a teacher (the last time I knew) at Line Mountain middle school. She teaches 6th to 8th grade english.

I now live in Carlisle PA home of Dickenson College and Penn State/Dickenson school of Law. Also the car shows are here.

At any rate I am 45, married (almost) 20 years, have 2 great kids. Our DD is soon to be 13 and is cyber schooled. Oud DS is 9.5 years old and goes to a school in Middletown (soon to be Hershey) for children with Autism (what I call mercury poisoning).

If there is anyone here who has a child with autism (at a diagnosis rate of 1 in 150 it wouldn't surprise me) I have a group on Yahoo that I moderate/own. The link is here:----->http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group..._vaccinations/.
Come by and check it out.

DEB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Hi, Deb

My husband and I used to own a campground and we had some campers from Trevorton - Tom and Nancy Heim; Dan and Carolyn Schlegel. Are those names familiar to you?

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I did my high school senior theme paper on austism. This was back in 1980 (I'm about the same age as you) and autism was just coming into the public eye back then. There's a wonderful woman here in Selinsgrove who moved from Philadelphia who is active in the local autism/Asperger's group. I believe her daughter has Asperger's syndrome. I know others on this board have mentioned autism. Thanks so much for sharing your website.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Trevorton then and now

Dawne,

I don't know the people you referenced in your email, at least not by name.

When I left Trevorton back in 1980 the population of the town was approximately 2,500. Most were close family by blood or marriage (or so it seemed to a then 19 year old kid). That was a contributing factor to my leaving and add the lack of decent wages and it was pretty much a slam dunk as to why leaving was a good idea.

I was home about 2 summers ago to visit my parents grave and see some family. A lot has changed in 27 years since leaving home. Ultimately my dream now is to move back, buy my parents home back, dismantle it, use the materials from the old house to build a new home on the same site. I have many fond memories of the town and want to raise my children in a place that is cleaner, safer and slower paced.

I have already started to calculate drive times for transporting my son to his school. It is approximately an hour and a half from Trevorton to my son's school in Hershey. This may seem a long time but what I do for a living has me on the road for approximately 3 hours a day in the morning and afternoon now so really half that time and him being my only passenger would be a breeze.

Cyber schooling our daughter makes the move that much easier too. I would assume the cost of land and taxes in Trevorton have to much less than they are here.

At any rate thanks for responding Dawne it's nice to start to reestablish connections. BTW you said "There's a wonderful woman here in Selinsgrove who moved from Philadelphia who is active in the local autism/Asperger's group. I believe her daughter has Asperger's syndrome." If you have her contact information could you please put me in touch with her? If I am going to reestablish connections I need to do it in this area of my life as well. Thanks again.

DEB

Last edited by Deb_from_Trevorton; 04-20-2007 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 PM

Deb, I'll check with the woman and see if it's okay with her for me to PM her number to you. I'll see her the first Monday in May. She may also have some other resource ideas that I can pass along to you.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Deb, I sent you a PM on a local group.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,225 times
Deb from Carlisle,

My name is Blossom (maiden name, Hand), originally from 938 Shamokin St. I knew both your brother Mike and Sister-in-law Liz. Liz and I were close friends from grade school on. I now live in Las Vegas, NV with my family and have not seen either in many years.

I do not know a lot about Autism, but I can tell you that at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas there have been a few individuals with Autism that were admitted, and succesfully completed there degrees with the help of the Disability Resource Office. It was not an easy five years, but with much coaching and help from the office they were able to succeed.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM

flowers4u,
If I remember my street addresses of Trevorton your family was a neighbor to Liz's parents. Her maiden name was Miller. Don't feel bad about not seeing either Mike or Liz in many years; neither have I and not by my choice either. When daddy passed on in 94 the last time I saw them was March 95. Bad blood (or lack of is more the truth) don't you know? I tried to reconnect with them (and my other siblings) around Christmas of 2001 to no avail. Haven't tried since. Got a little busy with raising my kids and just living life.

Autism does not equate to lack of intellgence....in fact just the opposite. Most autistics have above average to very high IQ's. Think Albert Einstein who is reported to have had some form of autism himself.

My son's biggest issue is his inability to speak. However, our school district purchased for him a computer with a touch screen that when he presses a picture speaks the words that are joined to the picture. It's pretty cool. It's also set up for internet use as well. Runs on microsoft XP O/S.

At any rate I am pleased to make contact that knows some members of my family.

Hope to hear from you soon. Feel free to e-mail if you like.

DEB

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,791 times
I was born in Treverton on Coal St in 1934,My mothers name was Erma Bowers & my father was Belford Strohecker both deceased and buried over the Mtn. at Stonington. I live in Carmichael Ca. my last visit was in 1994 and I have lost all contact with the folks in Treverton. We lived in Hunter Station & out in Shamokin. I left for the Air Force in 1952,
I recently retired as an over the road Owner Operator. Trucker./ Love to hear from any one who may still be there. My family goes back to the early 1900's in Treverton
belcar33@comcast .net

Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM

I was raised in Trevorton from the age of 3. My parents first became my foster parents at 3 and my adoptive parents at the age of 6. belcar33 we may be related in some way. Bowers is my aunt's married name. My aunt is my dad's youngest sister. Her husband was Mark Bowers. He died in (I think) the early 60's. I think when I was about 4 (1963). Her name is Dorothy (maiden: Schwartz) Bowers. She was born in 1923 I think. She still lives (as far as I know) in Trevorton on Mountain Street.

Is this ringing any bells for you?

DEB

Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,791 times
Default Bowers Connection

Yes we could be related . Mark Bowers was my Mothers brother {Erma.} and he passed in the 60"s My mother{ Erma} passed away in 1986 she was living in Buffalo N.Y. Mark had 2 brothers Adrian & Lindy her sisters were Dorthy Fiddler living in Shamokin, June ? in Fla. Hazel Anderson now deceased, Ohner{sic?] married to Lester Yoh? {sic}? Gladys Nicholson deceased My grandmother was Buelah Bowers. Like to hear a little more about you and your family They call me Dutch Belford J Strohecker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania