Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,548 times

Advertisements

We may move to PA this Fall. How is Bedford? I am a teacher and also will nanny if I cannot find a teaching position. Is there teaching positions near Bedford? Where should I look for a job? Are there good places to live near Bedford? Where can I rent a place to live? I have always lived out west. What is PA like? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Default Bedford

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf2626 View Post
We may move to PA this Fall. How is Bedford? I am a teacher and also will nanny if I cannot find a teaching position. Is there teaching positions near Bedford? Where should I look for a job? Are there good places to live near Bedford? Where can I rent a place to live? I have always lived out west. What is PA like? Thank you!
Bedford is a small, historic town located near the interchange of the PA Turnpike and Interstate 99/US Route 220 in SW Central PA and is the county seat of Bedford County. The area around Bedford is picturesque with the Allegheny Mts. to the west and farm land in the central and east parts. It has several preserved covered bridges scattered throughout the county. Blue Knob State Park is in Bedford County and offers year-round activities including hiking, skiing, etc. Shawnee State Park also offers swimming and fishing.

There are several school districts in the county, but I'm not sure if any are hiring. The two I can think of are Bedford Area SD and Chestnut Ridge SD. There are also daycare centers and preschool centers in the county. There are also distribution warehouses and manufacturing plants in the area. Check with the PA State CareerLink office in Bedford for more info on jobs. Website = www.pacareerlink.state.pa.us; (broken link) PH # = 814-632-6107.

Most areas in and around Bedford are nice places to live. They're quiet small towns with very low crime and friendly people. The further from Bedford you live, the further you'll have to drive to stores/shopping. Bedford is a rural county. But on the bright side, normally distance = drive time. Example, you live 10 mi outside the town, it would only take about 15 min to get there. You can check out the towns of Bedford, Everett, Osterburg, Fishertown just to name a few.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,408 times
Default Moving to Bedford

Hello, I just joined this site and thought I would respond to some of your questions. We have lived in Bedford for a few years and I avidly read our local Bedford Gazette.

My husband has been a substitute teacher for a couple of years here in the Bedford school district . There are not many full -time permanent jobs available here. He looked into getting a teaching license in this state but found out that the PA Dept. of Education would not accept his credits from the out of state college that he went to. He would have to earn more credits to obtain a license Anyone with a degree (even if it's not in education) can be an "emergency" sub, which is day-to-day with no long term assignments. We have been diligently looking for other full-time work but are having a difficult time. The economy is tough and work is scarce here. For example, The Bedford Springs Resort is opening next week. They held a job fair a few weeks ago to fill 150 jobs. An estimated 1,000 people showed up to apply. My husband was interviewed but not chosen for a job.

We love Bedford. The people here are wonderful and churches are numerous. Our children are doing well here and we hope to find work soon. I assume your husband is with REI? If so, your situation is a bit different than ours and I hope, if you do have the opportunity to move here, that you will like living in a calm, quiet community.

There is surprisingly lots of culture (concerts, art shows, etc.) but not much in the way of shopping. We basically have one mass-merchandiser, Wal-Mart. The nearest mall is Logan Valley Mall in Altoona, about 30 miles away. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Hello, Im moving to Bedford, PA by the end of Feb
How easy is to find housing and where do you recommend? I know some towns are also close by.
How winter season is there? I live in Aspen, CO currently

I will be working at the Omni Hotel

Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
I would start a new post. You typically receive a better response.

Omni is quite a reputable place attracting many people from D.C, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and constantly rated one of the best resorts in the Mid Atlantic/USA. Bedford is a small town, historic and quaint. It is kind of a sleepy area and you will find it probably less vibrant than Aspen and it definitely is not as wealthy/prosperous as Aspen so this might be an adjustment.

With that you are less than 2 hours to Pittsburgh, which is a vibrant city with lots to offer.

Winter is off and on. You definitely receive less snowfall overall than CO. Some seasons are snowy and some are less so. It is definitely a scenic area.

Where are you from originally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania