Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 125,808 times

Advertisements

If you can help...dh is possibly getting a job in DE but we may live in PA. My question is, do you get hosed on state income taxes or is there some sort of reciprocity agreement between them so you don't get hit twice?
If anyone is in this situation and knowledgeable about these matters, please do share what you know. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
There is some kind of bordering State agreement. I live in Ohio, and work at the Pittsburgh Airport. I pay Ohio State income taxes. I pay the Findley Township occupational privilege tax. That's $10 per year. I also pay the Pa. State unemployment insurance tax. That is 91 cents per week.

I have coworkers that live in Charlotte North Carolina. They pay both North Carolina, and Pa. income taxes. Because they are not bordering States.

That's all I know.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonces93 View Post
If you can help...dh is possibly getting a job in DE but we may live in PA. My question is, do you get hosed on state income taxes or is there some sort of reciprocity agreement between them so you don't get hit twice?
If anyone is in this situation and knowledgeable about these matters, please do share what you know. Thanks a bunch.
Hi there....

Although I dont live anywhere near you....I did a search and found this topic on previous posts in the forum. Yes there is reprocity between the states...so the income taxes that are taken out of your paycheck is the state where you live. For ex...work in Delaware but live in PA PA income taxes are taken out. Similar to me as I work in North Dakota but live in Minnesota....Minnesota taxes are taken out of my check.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-delaware.html

Dan

Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 PM

25 posts, read 186,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi there....

Although I dont live anywhere near you....I did a search and found this topic on previous posts in the forum. Yes there is reprocity between the states...so the income taxes that are taken out of your paycheck is the state where you live. For ex...work in Delaware but live in PA PA income taxes are taken out. Similar to me as I work in North Dakota but live in Minnesota....Minnesota taxes are taken out of my check.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-delaware.html

Dan

Delaware does NOT have any reprocity with any other state. You will pay taxes to both states. Delaware will calculate your taxes on your full income, then apportion the tax bill relative to your overall income. Pennsylvania will allow a credit of the Delaware tax paid or 3.07%, whichever is less. Check out http://revenue.delaware.gov. Under the business taxpayer section you will find a form called W4NR which will assist you in this matter.

Be advised that PA and the municipality in which you live will both probably require you to make estimated tax payments on the difference. There are no local wage taxes in Delaware EXCEPT in the City of Wilmington itself (1.25%). Not all Wilmington zip codes are actually in the city so check on that. If you post the address of the employer I'll be glad to post if there is the city wage tax.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCofDE View Post
Delaware does NOT have any reprocity with any other state. You will pay taxes to both states. Delaware will calculate your taxes on your full income, then apportion the tax bill relative to your overall income. Pennsylvania will allow a credit of the Delaware tax paid or 3.07%, whichever is less. Check out http://revenue.delaware.gov. Under the business taxpayer section you will find a form called W4NR which will assist you in this matter.

Be advised that PA and the municipality in which you live will both probably require you to make estimated tax payments on the difference. There are no local wage taxes in Delaware EXCEPT in the City of Wilmington itself (1.25%). Not all Wilmington zip codes are actually in the city so check on that. If you post the address of the employer I'll be glad to post if there is the city wage tax.
Thanks for clarification....and sorry to other posters who read my response.
Should stick to my local area

Dan

Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,183 times
What is the situation if you live in PA, but work in NJ? As I understood, there is reciprocity and I would only have to pay PA income tax (which is actually higher than NJ in my tax bracket).

Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 PM

25 posts, read 186,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
What is the situation if you live in PA, but work in NJ? As I understood, there is reciprocity and I would only have to pay PA income tax (which is actually higher than NJ in my tax bracket).
Pennsylvania has reciprocity most of its neighboring states: New Jersey, Maryland, West Virginia, and Ohio. It does not have reciprocity with New York or Delaware. It also has reciprocity with two non-bordering states: Indiana and Virginia. IN requires PA residents to pay county income tax but not state income tax. Maryland requires the same only if the PA resident lives in a municipality that taxes MD residents (which is almost all of them).

Old 05-12-2007, 05:36 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
Come on down to PA. I am waiting to leave and here is Southeast Chester County we got good homes up for sale.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM

35 posts, read 114,203 times
My understanding is that you need to claim a credit for the tax paid on your PA state tax return. PA differs from states like NY in several ways. Unlike NY you are not able to aggrigate and net income and deductions from different businesses. If you are a straight salaried employee this is not an issue. There is a form on the PA return that takes gives you credit for the taxes paid on income subject to tax in another jurisdiction.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCofDE View Post
Delaware does NOT have any reprocity with any other state. You will pay taxes to both states. Delaware will calculate your taxes on your full income, then apportion the tax bill relative to your overall income. Pennsylvania will allow a credit of the Delaware tax paid or 3.07%, whichever is less. Check out Delaware. Under the business taxpayer section you will find a form called W4NR which will assist you in this matter.

The first paragraph is correct. However, the local taxing agency in PA will allow you a credit against the local tax (often the local tax is 1%) for any taxes paid to a neighboring state that are in excess of 3.07% (the PA rate). So if you pay 5% to DE, as an example, you will be allowed the excess of 5% over 3.07% to apply against your local tax. This hinges on the fact that the wages are taxed in both places (PA and DE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania