Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm a single white male and turning 22 in April. Right now I'm living near Chambersburg/Hagerstown, on the MD border. I'm looking to move out in an apartment preferably near or in a city. Was thinking of Shippensburg or York at first, but I heard they're just boring and uneventful places. So, i'm looking more in or around Philly or Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the areas besides visiting friends for the weekend, but from what a remember they seem like great places to be. Basically the point of this thread is; I'm not sure where I should start my life working and living on my own. I have money from friends/family to get me started but I'll need to find a new job in the area, preferably at a restaurant. School isn't a priority right now for me, and I have a car.

I'm originally from Maryland, love that place, just too expensive for me right now.

Any information would be great!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 37,520 times
You probably want to be little more specific:

Rent vs. Buy
Apartment vs. House
How much are you willing to spend?
How far are you willing to travel?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Rent/Apartment/500-900 a month/20 minute max commute I guess.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM

10,621 posts, read 12,163,295 times
I'd say just do more research on the cities themselves (Philly vs. Pittsburgh). Not that visits alone give you a WHOLE LOT of info, but can you visit each of them for any length of time before deciding.

Lrd knows, the Philly vs Pittsburgh thing goes way back. You could write a book on that comparison.

Also NOTHING HAS to stay the same after you decide. At 22 -- trust me -- you have plenty of time to live in and try BOTH places. If you pick one and don't like it, try the other.

No matter where you go - those two or elsewhere -- RENT for at LEAST six months to a year before you buy. If in that year you don't like it you're free to relocate.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,355,317 times
Money goes farther in Pittsburgh, especially if you're renting. I'd give Pittsburgh a go first of all just due to the scenery and location. Philly will be more cosmopolitan, but Pittsburgh is worth checking out first. There's a slew of early 20-somethings running around Pitt/CMU/RMU/Duquesne etc but things get boring for the late 20-30 crowd. I'd definately check out Pittsburgh and park it in an area like Oakland(Pitt), the South Side, etc at your age. Philly would work well for you when you get a little older and are looking for something a bit more grown up. Pittsburgh should be much more "safe" and accessible to somebody your age.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd say just do more research on the cities themselves (Philly vs. Pittsburgh). Not that visits alone give you a WHOLE LOT of info, but can you visit each of them for any length of time before deciding.

Lrd knows, the Philly vs Pittsburgh thing goes way back. You could write a book on that comparison.

Also NOTHING HAS to stay the same after you decide. At 22 -- trust me -- you have plenty of time to live in and try BOTH places. If you pick one and don't like it, try the other.

No matter where you go - those two or elsewhere -- RENT for at LEAST six months to a year before you buy. If in that year you don't like it you're free to relocate.
Thank you for posting.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,385,270 times
Long thread on Philly vs. Pgh.
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ittsburgh.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania