Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM

64 posts, read 276,103 times

Advertisements

OK, we've been planning on relocating to Lancaster co. for awhile now, and a relative is trying to convince us that Gettysburg is the place to be! They are in Lake Heritage and it is lovely, but I read that the schools there (greatschools) are less than desireable - kind of average - rated like 4-7 (my family's kids are still toddlers so no experience, but they hear, oh we have great schools here). Anyone have any experience with Gettysburg schools/Littletown?? Anyone know if a nurse on a Pa license can work in Maryland? Stores, doctors etc. Like I said, they love it, but I know it's much smaller than Lancaster - please advise! The schools are the main issue, but also info. on taxes in Adams county - what's the future? I read they are based on a 1990 assessment - when will homes be reassessed??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
The best way to evaluate the school system is to read the Standard and Poor's school assessment reports.

The can do research here: Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)

Gettysburg Area High School, Pennsylvania Public School - Overview - SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/app/location/q/stid=39/llid=118/stllid=153/locid=1042/stype=/catid=-1/secid=-1/compid=-1/site=pes - broken link)

Old 06-16-2007, 07:52 AM

36 posts, read 158,649 times
HI,

My parents lived in Lake Heritage for several years in the early '90s. Nice place, but HOA fees tend to go up regularly. Assessments also, surprising to hear they haven't had one since 1990. My sister had children in Littlestown schools -early 2000's, not impressed. No provisions for children that fall below the learning curve or may need special help. Things may have changed by now, but doubtful. I live in York county, in Dallastown school district. I like it alot. As for Lancaster, Manheim Township schools are very good, as are Hempfield and Lampeter Strasburg. Depends on what you are looking for. For your license issue, you may have to contact MD board of Nursing. I dont think it should be a big issue since this area is so close to the border of MD. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM

64 posts, read 276,103 times
Thanks for the reply! Anyone have info on the general "atmosphere" of the schools - drugs, sex, alcohol, respect, technology, opportunities - what's the tone and what direction are these kids headed socially? My kids aren't going to really struggle academically; no learning disabilities, but do teachers have decent control on the students so that their time isn't wasted with discipline issues? Family involvement? Overcrowding? - Details, details!!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,931 times
I am to gettysburg and would to rent a house in Lake heritage but had no luck sofar.Help would be appreciated. Saw and ad in the news paper this sunday tried to contact the no but doenot work. Thanks for all the help

Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Nope. You can't work in MD on a PA license. However, you can work in MD on a license of a state that is a compact state. For example, I was working in MD on my AZ license. I had a separate PA license because I thought I would end up working in PA, but I didn't. More clearly stated: MD is a compact state and PA is not. Good luck!! It is a beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania