Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM

118 posts, read 318,173 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I currently live in AZ and am ready to get the heck out of here. I've been thinking I might like to move to Florida next. I found a house I like in Gulf Breeze and am very seriously considering making an offer on it. I have a couple of questions, first.

The house is on the northeast side of the peninsula, around a fifth of a mile from East Bay. I've lived in areas prone to natural disasters before (Southern California, Oklahoma, New York, New Jersey, etc), so I'm not too worried about hurricanes. I figure as long as you stay prepared and don't do something stupid it should be fine. That being said, part of not being stupid is being smart about where I buy. So, I'm curious if any locals can characterize the area that I mentioned, northeast peninsula near the East Bay?

I work from home, so finding a job isn't an issue, but internet is. How is the high speed internet in the area? Cell coverage?

I'm also a single woman. How is the night life? Is the area mostly retirees? Where I live now it is all seasonal retirees with no night life whatsoever, that's something I would like to get away from.

And, most importantly, how is the fishing? Are there good places to go for shore fishing and/or oyster/clam harvesting? Are the waters safe for kayaks?

Well, I guess that was more than one question. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,040 times
The area does have high speed internet and cell phone coverage. I have found that Verizon usually has the best coverage in the area. I have been with most of the competitors and now I do not have an issue with the dropped calls.
As far as the fishing and Kayaking in the area, this is probably one of the best place to be. Fishing is exceptional and with the smooth waters in the summer in the Gulf, Kayaking and paddle boarding are great past times. As far as clams and oysters, Clams we usually don't have and Oysters are left to the commercial fisherman. One of the neatest things I was able to do, it does require a short drive to the south, is scalloping. In Port St. Joe, you can snorkel for scallops and they really are great tasting. The trip I did, I was even able to see an live sea horse. Pretty amazing.
The night life in the area is also very attractive. Lots of places to hang and and socialize.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM

118 posts, read 318,173 times
Thanks for the information. When you were scalloping, did you also see sea urchin? I know the longspine sea urchin are illegal to take, but I think the rest are allowed.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 11,040 times
Did see sea urchins, but not the type you are describing. Just picked scallop and no sea urchins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola